News, Features and Upcoming Events
Hebweb upgrade - most of this year's pages have now been updated to the new format. We are continuing to work on older sections. 3 Aug
Woven in the Fabric - A play on the lives of suffragettes Lavena Saltonstall of Hebden Bridge and Martha Crossley of Halifax. See "What's on" section - 4 Aug
Ian Coates update: Ian has phoned home - from the Ukraine - see forum - 16 July
Five hundred words about Hebden Bridge - see latest entry from Lynn Breeze: Seedy river had fun, along with a YouTube video of Jason Elliott interviewing project's sponsor.
New Trusts set to become first sustainable transport buildings. Two Yorkshire community-led trusts are pioneering a novel way of ensuring high standards of sustainability in building design. More info - 22 July
recent updates include: dress agency; double rooms to let; electrician on bike; cleaners wanted; rental property wanted/ offered.
Below: 500 VOICES - choirs from our region gathered around the bridge today to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Packhorse Bridge. The rain held of most of the time but arrived on cue for Calder Valley Voices' Singing in the Rain. The event ended with a new song by Daniel Bath: Crossing the River. More photos
Local Blogs section - now updated
Hebden Bridge Trio to Scale Kilimanjaro to give African school kids a 'second chance'. The team hopes to scale the mountain in six days raising £3000 for their charity – enough to set up and fund an entire school for a year. Read more - 29 July
Hebden Bridge Station Exhibition - the two waiting rooms now hosts exhibitions on the history of the railway in and around the Upper Calder Valley with prints and photos from 1845 to 1965. Read more - 27 July
The Friends of Hebden Bridge Station report that "Reg Godwin, the ever-cheerful and helpful booking office clerk at the station, died last Friday from pancreatic cancer. His funeral will be at 2.00pm on 2nd August at St Paul's Methodist Chapel, Sowerby Bridge. Typically of Reg, he requested that bright and cheerful clothes be worn." - 22 July
Producers of a new Channel 4 series provisionally titled The Village are looking for individuals, couples and families who would like to start a new life in the countryside. They will have the chance to win a 3 bedroom cottage located. Read more - 22 July
THOUSANDS TURN OUT FOR HEBDEN BRIDGE HANDMADE PARADE and launch of the Hebden Bridge Arts Festival 2010.
Read News Report - 28 June
Jason Elliott's 500 Faces of Hebden Bridge is now complete. See web gallery of all 500 faces - 30 June
Hebden Bridge Arts Festival First week - If the drone of vuvuzelas or the din of roadworks are getting too much for you, sweeter sounds are available in the first week of Hebden Bridge Arts Festival. Read more - 21 June
Festival Bus needs a driver - see news
500 voices - score and audio available of Daniel Bath's Cross the River which will be sung by 500 voices on 4th July
Hebden Bridge doctor elected Vice President of the Royal College of Physicians. Dr Linda Patterson OBE who has lived in Hebden Bridge since 1984 has been elected as the Vice President of the Royal College of Physicians. Read more
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIDGE - with buns, bangs and bands. On June 19, to mark the 500th anniversary of the Packhorse Bridge, the streets of Hebden will be ringing to the sounds of mediaeval music, horses' hooves and some loud bangs. More info - 14 June
Craig Whittaker's maiden speech - included mention of Chris McCafferty, Donald Thompson, Bernard Ingham, Ted Hughes and his MP's charity, which will be established to to help improve the educational achievement of children in care. Read the whole speech - 11 June
Yet more from Studio Baad: this time it's Mayroyd again. See Planning Watch
Studio Baad strike again, this time with plans for Walkleys Clogs - part demolition and part "what passes for modern architecture grafted on to a traditional building" - See Forum and Planning Watch
Five hundred words - see latest entry from Gill Smith, "aging hippie from the Isle of Wight"
Mytholmroyd Memorial Gardens Planting
Read more - 18 June
Shed your Tears and Walk Away - reviews in the national press. See 6 reviews of this film about Hebden Bridge. Hebden Bridge is a "madhouse fuelled by drink and drugs" … is a haven for achingly trendy bohemians. Read the full reviews from the Telegraph, Guardian, Mirror and Financial Times - updated 13 June
More from Hebden Bridge Web
- Accommodation - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area
- Archive - news and discussion going back to the mid 90s
- Bloggers and columns - a section where you can read regular pieces by selected local bloggers.
- Books - of interest to people living in Hebden Bridge and area
- Contact info
- Discussion Forum - hundreds of messages every year on matters of concern to those who live in Hebden Bridge and the surrounding hills, villages and valleys
- Emails - a directory of local email addresses
- Events: a selection of local events
- Five hundred words on Hebden Bridge - one of the 500 years of the Hebden pack horse bridge projects
- Green Pages
- Hebden Bridge info - some basic information about Hebden Bridge with links to some features which have been written about our town.
- Hebden Bridge 500 - celebrating 500 years of the bridge
- History pages - links to local history websites, together with a selection of articles remembering times past.
- Lives Remembered - thoughts and comments on the death of a selection of local people
- Mailing list
- Maps - several maps of the town and area, including Google maps.
- Neighbours/twins - links to websites of surrounding towns and our twin towns in France and Germany
- News: Dozens of news items are posted every month; many are unique to Hebden Bridge Web, coming from our growing number of correspondents. Others may also be covered elsewhere but can be found on HebWeb many days earlier.
- News Highlights of 2008
- Photos - many galleries of photos, including some by well known local photographers
- Planning Watch - details of controversial developments are posted here.
- Radio and video samples relating to our area
- Search HebWeb - search the thousands of news, features and discusssion on the entire Hebden Bridge Web in seconds.
- Small ads
- Tourist Info
- Useful sites - a range of site which we think local people will find useful, rail and bus timetables, ofsted reports, local doctors, etc.
- View from the Bridge
- Web Design from Pennine Pens
- Websites List - by category - by name - listings of a large selection of Hebden Bridge websites
- What's on/Local events: a selection of local events
- Where to stay - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area