Discussion Forum

The former TIC building

Posted by Ernest
Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Dave H asked what was going to happen next door to Ladbrokes. (See Ladbrokes thread) Planning permission for a change of use to a restaurant / takeaway plus 4 apartments was granted to Halifax Property Restoration Limited in March 2004. I assume that this means there is no planning obstacle to Macdonald's, Harry Ramsden's, or indeed the George Galloway Organic Tree House Cafe (and Takeaway) from acquiring the building and opening up for business.

Posted by Dave H
Saturday, March 11, 2006

As they have had three large deep fat fish fryers delivered, I know where my money is.

Posted by Oscar
Sunday, March 12, 2006

I'll offer 3/1 against Harry Ramsdens
after all they did promise! (see previous thread).

I'll offer 2/1 on an "independent" Chippy as the HBBA banners still fly high over the building.

If you want better odds, then look next door.

Posted by Dave H
Monday, March 13, 2006

If you're right, and it's an independent, I'll be so pleased I'll buy you a bag of chips, WITH scraps!

Posted by Helen
Monday, March 20, 2006

Apartments and a chippy? Imagine the smell if you lived above a chip shop.

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Imagine the smell? Yummmmmmm....

There is no other smell so guaranteed to make you instantly hungry, whatever you've just eaten!

Posted by Miv
Friday, May 12, 2006

It's a chippy - there is a planning application in for illuminated signs in the window for AJ's Fish and Chips

(See also planning watch)

Posted by Lisa Smith
Saturday, May 13, 2006

Do we need another chip shop? I'd heard the White Lion Fisheries was closing down or is this just a nasty rumour?

• Posted by Jack Hughes
    Monday, May 15, 2006

Would this be the same AJ's as the kebab emporium near Ashenhurst in Todmorden?

Posted by Andy Macintosh
    Monday, May 15, 2006

I agree, not another chip shop. We need a decent restaurant in a town over-populated by, at best, mediocre ones.

Posted by Duncan Watson
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Clearly we don't need another chip-shop, similarly we don't need any chip-shops at all. However it might be useful to have another that operates during the lacunae left by the somewhat esoteric opening times of the two other chip-shops.

Posted by Jim
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm not sure that we need another chip shop either, and I would have definitely preferred it to be decent restaurant. However, what concerns me the most are the terrible illuminated signs that are proposed in the planning application. Looks like we might be getting a little bit of Blackpool chic in Hebden. This could make Ladbrokes look tastefull!!!!

Posted by Miv
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006

How anyone can complain about distasteful signage etc on this street, whilst not mentioning the appalling colour of the cobbles that are been laid! I was in a cafe over the weekend and was amazed at how many people stopped and stared, pointed and even laughed at the blue and yellow brick road!

Posted by Jim
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Yes I saw those yesterday... shocking! I couldn't quite understand why they have laid occasional strips of nice reclaimed cobbles within the candy colured granite ones.
    Were they like this on the nice visuals that they banded about?

The thing is Miv, people can object to the planning application for the signs if they choose to.... its a bit late for the cobbles as they are nearly all down now.

Posted by Andy Macintosh
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006

So goodbye yellow (and blue) brick road
    The dogs of the hebweb howl
    Lets all have a go at the Council
    They're trying to ruin our town..

etc

Rather nice granite sets I thought.