Discussion Forum

Being positive

Posted by Andrew Hall
Monday, July 10, 2006

Not an awful lot of posts on HebWeb in the past week. I wonder why.

Could it be that posters who express any sort of concern about our town are considered to be complainers, small minded and petty? They tend to be 'shouted down'. Fair enough - if that's the general concensus as to how this forum should operate, then so be it.

The question is, at what point are the 'happy police' going to accept any critical comments? Obviously cobbles and lamp posts are right out! Are planning concerns acceptable? The antics of youths in the town centre? Pollution? The colour of the Fox and Goose? Where can we draw the line?

I don't want to upset anyone, but I would like to see a bit more posting on HebWeb than there is at present.

So come on, Andrew,
be positive, positive, positive, and post!

OK!

Well, it's been quite a nice day today. No rain until this afternoon, and anyhow, what rain there was will be good for the gardens. I walked into town this afternoon and bought some chicken breasts from the Coop, which are on special offer. I walked back along the canal towpath and said 'Hello' to a man sitting on his boat. He said 'Hello' back, and commented on the slightly unpredictable weather (not a complaint, I hasten to add, just a comment). On my return, I saw a Nuthatch feeding on my peanut holder in the garden. They're lovely little birds - I love the way they always feed upside down.

Everything's just great in Hebden Bridge!

Will this do?

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Go for it, Andrew! Yes there are good things happening in Hebden Bridge. I sang in my first Calder Valley Voices concert a couple of weeks ago, and it was great. Wonderful evening, lots of people, lots of fun, wouldn't have missed it for the world. Last Sunday evening, we did "Degrees of Light" (images and readings) as the churches' contribution to the Arts Festival, and we had a good crowd in spite of the footie (or was that because of the footie...?)

Just a couple of things which have made the last few weeks more enjoyable.

Posted by Andy Macintosh
Friday, July 14, 2006

I hope I am usually being positive when I post (I don't really mind the Fox and Goose colour!) and don't do it to shout people down but instead to counter a perceived negative reaction against change. There are of course areas for concern within our community but these can be addressed by being constructive rather than reactionary.