Discussion Forum

CCTV

Posted by Tim
Thursday, August 24, 2006

I had an interesting experience walking home form the pub last night. I was passing the CCTV camera at the end of Old Gate when I noticed it seemed to be tracking me. So I retraced my steps and it was following me. Returning back in my original direction yet again it followed me. So I did a little dance for the operator and waved, continued on my way and thought nothing more of it.

Passing the car park behind the old health centre I noticed there was a large group of youngsters hanging around. They wern't being loud threatening or obnoxious or anything like that. This led me to think "Wouldn't it be better if the CCTV cameras were mounted on little robots that could wander around the streets following people. I'm sure the operator would much prefer to watch a group of teenagers getting up to what teenagers do than watching a middle aged punter walking home from the pub."

So can the council please get some robotic CCTV cameras so we can direct the operators to where the best action in town is.

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass
Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tim wrote:
"So I did a little dance for the operator and waved..."

So it didn't wave back? That's just bad manners, and downright unfriendly. I think we should have smiley cameras that wave back. Would cut the antisocial behaviour immediately.

Posted by Tim Conway
Sunday, August 27, 2006

Shouldn't you be at work, Reverend?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I was. And I am. :-)

Posted by Joseph
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Even as a confirmed agnostic, I far prefer the informed, intelligent and balanced opinions of the Reverend to the opportunist soundbites of some of our local politicians. Its certainly an interesting way to communicate with people, and of offering some moral leadership.

Friday, September 1, 2006

Thank you, Joseph. It's good to be appreciated.

And "informed, intelligent and balanced" is just what I was looking for, to go on the CV. Or the gravestone... :)

Previously, on the Hebweb

Spy cameras 'a waste of space' - March 10, 2006
CCTV: who pays? - July 29, 2005
Discussion: March 2003
Discussion: March 2004