Discussion Forum

Parking Charges

Posted by Phillip Booth
Wednesday, February 1, 2006

The introduction of parking meters in Hebden I feel will spell the death of this community. I have seen this once before when I lived in Brighouse. Free parking and a thriving, bustling town. Parking charges introduced and there's no-one there, especially on the market.

And speaking of markets, does everyone know there's a second hand market in Hebden on Wednesday? There is a minute sign which you can hardly see, and no other means of letting visitors know of the location of the market. Perhaps Calderdale could do more to advertise it, or place some larger signs for direction to it. It's a downward spiral at the moment, no customers, no traders, no traders, so no customers, and so on. Come on everyone, support your local market, even if Calderdale Council can't.

Posted by Helen
Thursday, February 2, 2006

I do like to support local business and traders and would like to continue doing so but it's free to park in Tesco's car park, perhaps the local council could consider this before they send our small market towns into decline.

Posted by Andy M
Thursday, February 2, 2006

Do you really think 20p an hour put people off coming to Hebden Bridge? I'm sorry but it just isn't true. 20p is very cheap and is more likely to encourage people than put them off. Arguably it should be more!

People come to Hebden Bridge because its a nice place to shop and have a coffee not because the parking's free. There aren't really any alternative places to visit, unless you count the ersatz Victoriana fest that is Haworth.

Posted by Bill
Monday, February 6, 2006

In response to Andy M: 20 pence per hour is cheap and probably will not put off visitors. However the locals will now go elsewhere - I know that I now shop in Todmorden. Good shops, no roadworks, and if canny, free parking.

Posted by Matt Bell
Monday, February 6, 2006

Just one thing to point out to anyone 'saving' themselves 20p by driving to Todmorden and finding free parking. Allowing for just 10p per mile (in reality, probably more), that's almost £1 in petrol. To be honest, my personal view is that I'd rather Calderdale Council had my 20p than Exxon having my quid!

Posted by Andy M
Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Neatly put Matt - inescapable logic - and I'd rather support my local shops too, not that I have anything against Tod.

Posted by Bill
Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Great logic, and were it not for the fact that it took me an hour last week to drive into Hebden due to the roadworks I would agree with you. However I already give a significant chunk of my monthly income to Calderdale and would rather not give any more. So now I walk to Hebden to the station, but shop in Tod. Much better market anyway!

Posted by Harry
Thursday, February 9, 2006

Well Bill, it would seem Hebden's loss is Todmorden's gain... personally I think Hebden's weekly market is really good.

Posted by Andy M
Thursday, February 9, 2006

The works will be over relatively soon anyway - ahead of schedule - and whilst getting into Hebden by car has been problematic of late its still not a big deal. Once the works are comlete and the improvents made the town will be far from a 'ghost town'. Lets just hope there will be enough parking,which is another issue. Meanwhile I'll save up my 20p's!

Posted by Miv
Friday, February 10, 2006

Hopefully the traffic cones will remain on Market St and we won't have to revert to driving into oncoming traffic again!

See also

Parking charges discussion (April 2003)