Discussion Forum

Former TIC building

From Lizzie
Thursday, October 5, 2006

I see that although those hideous silver tubes up the side of the old TIC building were refused planning permission; they have now been connected up. Are the planning laws some sort of joke? Any ideas on how we get rid of this ghastly eyesore?

From Nigel Yorke
Friday, October 6, 2006

The silver tubes on the old TIC have never been refused or given planning permission. The stone/brick chimney that was to encase them was refused planning permission. I think the council is waiting to see if they reapply for a stone/brick chimney to cover the silver tubes. If they don't, then of course the silver tubes will need to apply for planning.

From Nigel Yorke
Saturday, October 7, 2006

Just seen this.

From John Thomas
Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I see the building work has started again. the chimneys have now been connected and interior decor looks to be near completion.

I for one unlike the majority on here, look forward to seeing it open and adding to the local amenities. It will make a pleasant change to see a building live, rather than lying in a state of closure just to keep the narrow minded people happy!!

From Terry Haddock
Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Does anyone know what is happening to the very ghastly ventilation pipes. They are, frankly, unacceptable and action should be taken before the chippie opens.

From David
Friday, October 13, 2006

I can suddenly think of a good use that chainsaws can be put to!

From Robert Collins
Saturday, October 14, 2006

So does anyone think the bare, exposed ducting and fans looks better than the originally-planned stone flue that was refused by our consistently inconsistent local government?

From Oscar
Saturday, October 14, 2006

They have planned to build a new chimney and hide the horizontal pipes with wooden boards. I think it should look OK.

Application No: 06/01908/FUL
Team: UPP
Map Sheet No: 9927SW
Grid Reference: 399166 427211

Proposal: False chimney to house extraction flues (Part Retrospective) (Amended Description)

Address of proposal: 1 Bridge Gate Hebden Bridge West Yorkshire HX7 8EX

Case Officer: Janine Branscombe
Case Officer Tel: 01422 392215
Valid Date: 25/9/2006
Target Decision Date: 20/11/2006
Expiry Date for representations: 27/10/2006

Image can be viewed here...

From Brian Garner
Monday, 6 November 2006

The opening of 'AJs' now looks imminent. I see they decided to ignore Jamie Oliver and are providing a children's menu which includes abbatoir scrapings....errr, sorry, that should have said chicken nuggets.

Anyway, it looks like they are about to open, complete with resplendent tin flues on the exterior.

From Joseph
Thursday, 9 November 2006

AJ's looks OK to me. The menu also has a whole load of Veggie stuff (vegetable tempura is inspired surely - why do more chippies not do this).. Not tried it yet. Any idea what the opening hours are? Will I be able to buy chips at last at 7pm.... when I want my tea? Will it encourage a flood of chipshops opening when people actually want them open?

See also

The former TIC building - March-May 2006
Harry Ramsden - June-July 2005
Squatters take over former TIC - April 2004