Discussion Forum
Crown Street Clock

From Tom Brunel
Wednesday, 31 October 2007

I no longer live in Hebden so haven't got to see for myself but am intrigued; tell me, did the clock on Crown street get altered to GMT the other day, or is it still half an hour wrong as for the last year or so? And why can't anybody set it correctly?

From Antony S
Friday, 2 November 2007

do not know if the clock has been altered, what I do know though is that the mechanics of the clock can be reached from one of the flats at Carlton Chambers. I assume that the Carlton Hotel used to be responsible for keeping the clock accurate and that now, it is left in nobodies hands. To the best of my knowledge, the flat that has access to the clock is not currently occupied.

From Andy M
Friday, 2 November 2007

I believe it's set wrong deliberately so, that in the event of other things to complain about in the town running-out, folk can complain about that.

From Jack Hughes
Saturday, 3 November 2007

I somehow can't imagine the good denizens of Hebden Bridge (at least, the ones who frequent this forum) running out of things to complain about! I agree though, it does seem ridiculous that said clock's been consistently wrong for years now. However, it does seem to be in synch with the sundial in the square..... GMT's obviously not good enough for this eccentric, alternative, quirky (etcetera, ad nauseum) town!

From Janice S
Sunday, 11 November 2007

Talking about the sundial...does anyone know whn it's going to be installed? I thought it was coming at the end of September - or is it being held back until British Summer Time arrives? And will it be altered when the clocks go back/forward? These are the questions that keep me awake at night!