Discussion Forum
Christmas Decorations

From Simon James
Monday, 26 November 2007

Returned yesterday, late evening, from a weekend trip back home to Hebden Bridge. Just want to say what a delight it was to see the new Christmas decorations and the tree in the square. Subtle and beautiful. Congratulations and big thanks to all those concerned.

Posted by I Clarke
Monday, 26 November 2007

I was wondering what has happened to the Christmas lights in Hebden? So much has been done to improve the town and yet come Christmas we seem to have half a dozen pale stars on New Road and that's it.

Posted by Jim Band
Tuesday, 27 November 2007

I'm a big fan of the lights too Simon, especially the ones on the tree at the top bench, from a distance it looks like one of those strange, deep-sea creatures or some kind of luminous jellyfish.

Dunno, how christmassy it is, but I like it.

Posted by Kevin S
Tuesday, 27 November 2007

Yes the christmas lights around the square are really something. But again somebody seems it only fit to promote the square as the rest of the main streets in Hebden Bridge (New Road / Market Street) are very poor. These are the main roads through the town also the best areas for shopping. take a look at Todmorden or King Cross they know how to light up and promote the whole town.

Posted by Jason Boom - ECW Hebden Royd Town Council
Wednesday, 28 November 2007

Great to see the positive comments about the lights, the negatives are ones (except the comments on style) we are aware need addressing. This year HRTC has spent £9000 on lights (in Hebden, Cragg & Mytholmroyd), a large chunk of money and a good start. Even with that amount it is impossible to please all but in 2008 we are aiming to. Traders, HRTC and the Business Association will be meeting in the next week or so to look at what we have and plan for 2008.

More funding will be needed, none is in place at present so when the collection boxes are rattling dig deep. Lets see how 2008 is received.

Posted by Janice S

Yes, the lights on the tree in the square are great, really magical! I like the style of the stars and snowflakes on the main road but it would be nice to see more of them, and lights down some of the 'side roads' like Albert Street too, finances permitting!

Would solar powered lights be feasible? Porthcawl in Wales has put up solar Christmas lights this year. I'm not sure how long they'd stay lit - I bought some for the garden and they're great for a couple of hours but then go dim...

Posted by I Clarke

I too like the Christmas tree in the Square. And I fully appreciate the cost of providing lights at Christmas, so no criticism intended Jason. It just struck me that driving through Todmorden, you can spot the lights all the way through, but I could drive through Hebden Bridge and not even notice them. Given all the work that has been done on Bridgegate and the like it would have been nice to have decorated them too. I'm not advocating a Blackpool Illuminations approach though.

Posted by A. Addison
Monday, 3 December 2007

A big thank you to the guy who came and replaced all the broken bulbs to the Christmas ights above the shops on Market Street