Discussion Forum
Cameron's Tories: not liberal, not progressive, and not fit for government?

From Cllr. Nader Fekri
Friday, 2 October 2009

Next week sees the Tory Party conference in Manchester, voters should not be fooled into thinking they have changed their spots since they were last in government.

They are not liberal, not progressive, and not fit for government‏.

They are not liberal, Cameron voted to retain Section 28, they would scrap the Human Rights Act, and ‘Liberal’ is still a term of abuse for the Tories, frontbencher Jeremy Hunt recently attacked the BBC for having a ‘liberal bias’.

They are not progressive, Cameron would cut taxes for millionaires, at a cost of £4.4bn, while doing nothing to help low earners. 40% of children in poverty live in one-parent households, yet the Tories’ tax credit reform proposals will only help couples while doing nothing for single parents.

They are not fit for government, economically illiterate, Cameron and Osborne would cut before, not after an economic recovery, risking plunging UK back into recession. They are fiscally incompetent, six unfunded pledges leave a black hole of £53bn in Tory plans according to Treasury estimates; by contrast, Cameron’s recent ‘salad’ speech on cutting costs set out just £120m of savings. Cameron’s foreign policy would leave the UK isolated on the lunatic fringe of Europe, less safe from terrorism, and international crime. Cameron’s claim that he would fix broken politics rings hollow in the light of his refusal to punish George Osborne for ‘flipping’ his second home, a move by which the Shadow Chancellor made himself £55,000.

We Liberal Democrats believe in social justice, w believe in a fairer, freer, kinder, gentler society. We do not believe that Britain is broken, and would not use that as an excuse to attack the weakest and those most in need in our society.

Finally, I believe, and have always believed, that whilst the Labour Party is our rival, the Conservative Party is our enemy.

Cllr. Nader Fekri
(Calder Ward, Calderdale MBC)

From Graham Barker
Saturday, 3 October 2009

Some may regard Nader's post as deeply and even offensively hypocritical given Thursday night's events in Halifax, when his party had a chance to co-operate with Labour and unseat the Tory cabinet - but chose instead to support the Tories.

From Colin Fisher
Saturday, 3 October 2009

What a disappointment to discover that Councillor Fekri is an empty shell like so many other politicians. These are unworthy comments.

Message update: I was going to withdraw my use of the term 'empty shell' as being an unworthy comment. Then I read the Pickled Politics blog and wondered whether Councillor Fekri's post is part of a campaign. However I do withdraw it as inappropriate.

I was however disappointed by his negative, stereotypical comments. In these difficult times we need politicians to suggest carefully thought out but positive ideas for ameliorating the damage that is being done. Councillor Fekri always seems to have a positive influence on local affairs. I hope he can maintain that when campaigning on national issues.

From Andy M
Monday, 5 October 2009

Just wondered what folk thought about the seemingly increased use of the forum by councillors furthering their political interests?

From Tom Standfield
Monday, 5 October 2009

Andy, I think it's really good to have the local politicians contributing here. They should be commended. It means they are (possibly) reading our comments, and are prepared to enter into a dialogue with us, the people who vote for them.

What is more disturbing is the invisible politicians. People have asked about Steph Booth, the Labour Parliamentary candidate, and looking at her Working for Calderdale blog, the last entry is still 18th August.

But has anyone heard of David O'Neill. David O'Neill? Ring any bells?

Along with Cllrs Fekri and Battye, David O'Neill represents Calder Ward - ie, Hebden Bridge - on Calderdale Council. David who?

From Coun Susan Press
Monday, 5 October 2009

Nader Frekri's remarks re the Tories are pretty rum given the Liberal Democrats consigned Calderdale to more years of Tory rule by refusing to back a Labour vote of no confidence.

The Liberal Democrat agenda outlined by Nick Clegg at their recent conference talked of "savage" cuts and while the LDs have no prospect of governing, they are still prepared to scrap their policy on tuition fees and fairer tax to win right-wing support.

As everyone knows, I have my differences with New Labour. To present the Liberal Democrats as more progressive is, however, nonsense. At a local level, they have epeatedly backed cuts in our budget, which has had a serious effect onr ability to fund local initiatives and community groups.

At the next election, it will be a stark choice between Labour and the Tories. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves

From N Yorke
Thursday, 8 October 2009

From an article in today's Guardian: Tories believe Lib Dems would support crisis budget

"The Conservative leadership would aim to push through an emergency budget, including spending cuts and a possible rise in VAT, with the support of the Liberal Democrats....senior Tories see the Lib Dems as their natural partners...."

What's the view of our local Lib Dems?

From Joanna Beacroft-Mitchell
Thursday, 8 October 2009

Hardly a Lib Dem spokesperson - I'm sure Cllrs Fekri, Battye, B-M (Mr) et al. will have a far more seasoned party response.

1. But as an interested and, yes, moderately partial (former council colleagues feel free to jump down my throat) observer of political maneouvering here is my response to the article:
  2. The Guardian leveling accusations at the Liberal Democrats and the Tories – how very surprising, whatever next – The Daily Mail whipping up hysteria over immigration ?
  3. The Tories are free to ‘believe’ lots of things – they believe that sitting with the Polish Right doesn’t make them appear deeply homophobic. A belief is not a fact
  4. The Tories are desperate to make it appear that a landslide at the General Election is not a foregone conclusion – suggesting that they need Lib Dem support enhances this view.
  5. Vince Cable is a far more convincing economic figure for Cameron to ally himself to than 'Boy George'.
  6. The Guardian are quoting ‘senior Tory sources’ - giving their claims as much credence as quotes from 'Friends close to The Victim/Princess Diana/The Royal Family/Katie Price/Brad Pitt (delete as appropriate)'