Ryburne

Small ads

Calder Valley floods: helping the victims

From Emma S

Saturday, 23 June 2012

I would like to draw everyone's attention to a Facebook open group that has been swiftly started to co-ordinate offers of help, items needed and items offered for people who have lost everything in this weekend's dreadful floods.

This is the link

Please take a look and if you can offer anything in the way of help, be it an hour of your time or some furniture or clothes that you don't need please put your details on the Facebook page.

Perhaps for people who do not use Facebook this thread could be used for any offers of time / items and I'll put a mention on the groups page that this thread exists.

Thank you, Emma

Also, there is an Emergency Fund for flood victims that has been started up by the Community Foundation for Calderdale, for anyone who might wish to donate (or request a donation if a victim)

Emma

From Cllr Janet Battye

Sunday, 24 June 2012

Everybody was busy yesterday trying to clean up the immediate aftermath but I'm concerned that we now start to recover so I'm asking Calderdale Council to co-ordinate responses to this - both for residents and for shops and businesses. Everybody's been really helpful and amazingly cheerful, but I know that we need to start to get going again. Pls do let me (or any of the other Councillors) know if there are really urgent needs that aren't being met - or, as you think ahead, if there are obvious things that can be done to help.

I'm also asking them to have a Review of the floods - whether anything was preventable, how the response went, and what lessons have been learned. Again, please let me know your views.

From Paul Clarke

Sunday, 24 June 2012

God help us if we are relying on the eternally hopeless Calderdale Council.

I've been incredibly lucky compared to the devastating impact on local businesses.

I only had a half flooded cellar and have just spent a horrid few hours cleaning up.

The result is a number of bin bags full of ruined fabric, papers etc,

So my suggestion - and I'm not holding my breath here - is that as a minimum the rule on no extra bin bags outside the wheelie bin is relaxed. The bin workers and the council - rightly - don't normally take extra bags. The workers are not our slaves.

But in exceptional circumstances this rule should be relaxed for a couple of weeks and it only applies to certain areas like mine where flooding has occurred. I'm happy to carry my bags down the street on bin day and pile them at the bottom if that helps.

I also have a few small electrical items that are ruined could Calderdale provide a couple of skips in the Oxford/Eton Streets area so we can dump them locally rather than ruin the inside of our cars taking them to the tip which is probably overrun.

I have very little faith in Calderdale to do anything right but these are simple suggestions that if taken up could be communicated through Hebweb.

From Gwen Goddard

Sunday, 24 June 2012

It's not easy to donate via the Calderdale Community Foundation form - I failed. It kept asking me to insert Country in my address but would not accept any version I could think of. I hope the banks and post office will have facilities for those able to contribute.

From A. Addison

Sunday, 24 June 2012

As a Trader on the back end of Market Street we have been affected like most businesses in the town very badly and we would just like to say a Very Big Thank You not just to Friends & Family & Fellow shop keepers, but the Hebden Bridge Community and general passers-by for your offers of help and kind words even gifts it was unbelievable you all helped us get through the day. Hopefully, like the rest of the small businesses we will be back up and running soon.

Thank you again

From Emma Bolger

Sunday, 24 June 2012

Hi I work for the community foundation that have set up the £10k fund for flood victims, I have just tried to donate via the local giving site and succeeded. Hopefully, this was a glitch but should be ok now. Please let me know if you have any further problems.

From Cllr Janet Battye

Monday, 25 June 2012

The street cleaning team is picking up any debris etc that people leave outside their shops/homes and I'm asking them to keep on doing this for the next few days. I'll make sure that they drive round the side streets as well as along the major routes.

I have been walking round talking to lots of people - pls let me know if there are other issues that people need help with. I can be contacted on my mobile phone: 077 11 583013. If it switches to answerphone, please leave a message, your name and a phone no that I can ring you back.

From Nikki D

Monday, 25 June 2012

Emma I just donated using the site and found it really easy to use and payment went through no problem.

From Chris Green

Monday, 25 June 2012

If any flooded organisations want a bit of light relief I am happy to bring the Olympic Torch to them dressed in my white !!!! and a bit muddy uniform.

White Ribbon Campaign office is trying to repair damage and destruction to stock of merchandise and tidy up the same as everyone so help welcome for us to

best wishes

Chris Green

White Ribbon Campaign

From Paul Clarke

Monday, 25 June 2012

As Cllr Battye is typically vague can I clarify that she is recommending that I just dump all my flood rubbish outside my house and somebody might come along and pick it up?

This seems a haphazard way of doing it and could well annoy my neighbours.

My bin round is Thursday. Can't I just put the bin bags at the bottom of the street on that day? But there's no point if the bin teams aren't given the go-ahead to remove them.

I completely agree that they shoudln't routinely pick up from people who have bin bags outside their wheely bins but these are exceptional circumstances.

From Joe Kelly

Monday, 25 June 2012

May not be practical but could the council not put on a special market day, allowing local shops free use of stalls to sell flood damaged stock and save tons of stuff, which maybe perfectly useable when cleaned, being dumped. Maybe they could donate a pecentage of sales to local charities . . . . just a thought !

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Monday, 25 June 2012

It's the Calder Valley Voices' Annual Concert this Thursday, (7.30 pm at the Methodist church next to the Co-op.)

Though we're already supporting one charity we'll also be organising a collection in aid of those affected by the flood - so please come along!

From George Murphy

Monday, 25 June 2012

Calderdale council came out and collected a huge pile of rubbish from the Mayroyd site today after one of our nieghbours rang them. Well done to all involved. Perhaps other correspondents would get the same response.
We would also like to thank all those neighbours who mucked in to help last Friday. The houses are fine down here although the gardens became part of the river for a a few hours!

Best wishes to all the householders, publicans and shopkeepers who have helped to make this valley so special. I hope the insurance people act speedily and sensitively.

From Jae Campbell

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Paul, the general rubbish vehicles are run by SITA and doesn't have the facilities to remove larger items - as has been said by others, Calderdale has vehicles going around removing larger items that the current rubbish vehicles are not equipped or contracted to take. If you phone 0845 245 7000 they will arrange collection or let me know your street and I can contact Customer First and arrange for a vehicle to check out your street so it will only be left out for a couple of hours at most.

There is also a grant to help individuals affected by the flooding - there is a simple application form to complete to make sure you are eligible. More details from www.cffc.co.uk.

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Jae, I don't who you are, but thanks such so much for that number and for once Calderdale seem well organised.

All you have to is given them your postcode, tell them where the stuff is and they will do the rest.

Quite why our councillors couldn't communicate this via Hebweb is a mystery.

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Today my partner caught some blokes rooting around in the flood rubbish outside our house.

When challenged they said they were only 'looking for scrap after the floods.'

That's as may be but I'm just warning people that anything left outside may be removed without your permission.

So if you do leave anything outside then it should be stuff you don't mind be taken in whatever way.

From Jennifer Gardner

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

I was in Tod buying some wood from fielden factors yesterday and there was a load of flood damaged stock outside the depot , I asked if I could buy it cheap and they said they were waiting for insurance assessors to see it then it would be thrown away, so if this is usual practice maybe people will have to keep damaged stock until their insurance firm comes round to check it all?

From Jae Campbell

Thursday, 28 June 2012

There have been a number of local people who have lost things put out to dry due to scavengers - worth putting signs saying - not scrap for drying only on anything you need to put outside to dry out as a clear warning and remember if someone does take your goods without your permission it's theft and should be reported so Police can try and stop it happening elsewhere if for no other reason.

Council workers are collecting rubbish every day but will not take anything away without checking with you first but there has also been a number of people in hazard wastecoats and driving plain white vans helping themselves and people have assumed they've been from the Council. They aren't, all Council and SITA vans are appropriately marked.

Also: More food parcels, cleaning materials and bedding are now available at Customer First, Hebden Bridge Library, Cheetham Street, Hebden Bridge, HX7 8EP If required.

Storage for Donations in Mytholmroyd

St Michael's in Mytholmroyd will be open on Sunday after the church service from 12.30 til 1.30pm and on Monday morning from 9.30-12.00. (Calder Valley Flood Victims - posted 28th June, 2012)

If people need help contact Customer First on 0845 245 7000 and they will try and link you with local volunteers.

From Paul Clarke

Thursday, 28 June 2012

I've lived in quite a few local authorities and Calderdale provide by far the worst services but credit where credit is due.

I needed my flood rubbish taken away so rang the helpline suggested by Jae and spoke to a very helpful woman.

Although they must have been under siege from flood victims she was incredibly efficient taking my details.

I was told the rubbish might be taken that day or the next day.

It was picked up the next day.

All in all very good service in tough times so it would be churlish not to acknowledge that.

From Keith L

Friday, 29 June 2012

There is currently a skip out the Vale Centre near Stubbing Holme road with about a dozen useable chairs in it. They are slightly muddy and and a bit scraped. Otherwise they appear to be fine. The centre was flooded last weekend and they are clearing out. As they are in a skip they are presumably not wanted. I don't like seeing good usable stuff going to waste like this. Does anybody reading this need some chairs? The skip is pretty full right now and so will probably be taken away soon so if you do want them get down there soon.

From Jae Campbell

Friday, 29 June 2012

Hebden Bridge Customer First will be open over the weekend for flood victims in need of food parcels, cleaning materials or bedding

Saturday 30 June: 10 am - 12 noon
Sunday 1 July: 12 noon - 2 pm.

Todmorden Customer First will also be open

Saturday 30 June: 9 am - 12 noon
Sunday 1 July: 12 noon – 2 pm.

Calderdale Council will have collection vehicles touring the Todmorden / Hebden Bridge areas over the weekend to take away furniture and household items damaged by the flooding. Residents can flag down the vehicles and items will only be taken with permission of the householder.

Before items are taken away, people should photograph them to help with insurance claims.

Anyone who needs flood damaged items to be taken away can also contact the Council on 0845 245 7000.

From Emma S - flooded out, now temporarily homeless

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

I've been one of the unfortunate folk who have been flooded out last Monday.

I'm now desperately looking for accommodation for me and my very well behaved, quiet and house trained cat. I am well behaved, quiet and house trained too...

Anything considered but must be furnished and self contained i.e. own bathroom and kitchen. Could be for approx three months duration, not sure at the moment. The insurers are paying, that's been agreed - just struggling to find somewhere.

Any suggestions are very welcome indeed. Please email me if anyone can suggest anything.

Update: Cat foster carer wanted - Following on from my previous post about looking for cat friendly accommodation, my other option is to look for a cat foster carer, so if anyone knows of a possible local person who would consider cat fostering my lovely friendly cat please email me.

From Andrew B

Saturday, 14 July 2012

I have made contact with the Leader of Calderdale Council, Cllr. Tim Swift, with a suggestion that parking be relaxed/free parking offered in flood affected areas in a bid to boost visitor numbers which in turn boosts trade.

The council seem to use this to boost trade at Christmas /Late night shopping so fingers crossed it wwill have the same effect.

Cllr. Swift's response on Twitter was:

"Hi we are pulling together various ideas to consider in next week or so and will include this in it. Thanks for getting in touch"

I know this doesn't solve even half of the problems but if it helps a little then it would be worth it.