Ryburne

Small ads

Tax evasion - pharmacies

From Mo Norwood

Wednesday, 30 January 2013

I think we should be supporting the tax paying independent pharmacy at Mytholmroyd as opposed to the monopolising, tax-evading Boots pharmacies in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. Buy your toiletries from the market or other shops. Boycott companies that evade tax!

From Martin F

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Mo,

Thanks for waking me up to the existence of an independent pharmacist in Mytholroyd.

I live in Hebden and have a 'revolving' prescription, picked up every 2 months from Boots. I am going to talk to the medical centre to see if this can transferred to Langhorne's in Mytholmroyd.

I, too, would like to see more people transferring their 'loyalty' to an independent pharmacist.

From Eleanor Land

Thursday, 31 January 2013

I would also like to thank Mo for the information about the independent pharmacy in Mytholmroyd. I only moved to Hebden last year and thought the only option here was Boots. When I found out about Boots tax arrangements a few years ago (their Head Office is a P O Box in Switzerland and they pay very little UK tax) I tore up my Boots card and vowed never to give them my custom. Behaviour like this by companies whose profits are generally all made from the taxpayers in this country is morally reprehensible and particularly not acceptable in a time of economic uncertainty.

From Martin F

Friday, 1 February 2013

Well, it's done.

I've been into Boots by the medical centre and told them I don't want them to fill my prescriptions anymore.

I then went to the medical centre and have arranged to pick up a new prescription which I will take to Langhorne's. I will only have to do this once since I will arrange with Langhorne's for them to receive the following prescriptions from the medical centre automatically.

The changeover was quick and simple. Going to Mytholroyd, en route to Halifax, once every two months is hardly an imposition on my time.

Apart from the aspect of 'tax', I'm glad that my prescriptions will be filled in future by an independent company rather than a corporate giant.

I would like to see more people transferring their 'allegiance'.

From Ian M

Friday, 1 February 2013

To clear up any confusion, Boots has committed no crime as it has never evaded paying tax. Tax avoidance, now that's a whole different matter!

From Mo Norwood

Friday, 1 February 2013

Great ! I'd like to point out I have no connection with the pharmacy businesses. Just glad we have this discussion forum to spread ideas and news. I also boycott Amazon, Starbucks . . . and the HB Times. It's not difficult !

From Richard Peters

Friday, 1 February 2013

I have done the same, maybe if we each sent half a dozen emails to our friends it would snowball. I have always had the thought that because Boots have a monoploy in Hebden and Tod, I bet we pay more.

From David N Taylor

Saturday, 2 February 2013

Given the number of Guardian readers in Hebden Bridge I'm sure many will have read about the battle over Costa's successful planning application in Bakewell (6000 objections!).

The full article can be read here and will strike a chord here and perhaps put us on the alert as both Ripon and Totnes are fighting as well.

From Joe Ridley

Monday, 4 February 2013

I wonder what effect the boycotting of businesses might have on the viability of jobs related to that business?

From Jason Elliott

Monday, 4 February 2013

This is very useful information, and a perfect example of why the Hebweb is such a vital community resource.

I will be changing to Mytholmroyd too, so thank you Mo!

From Mo Norwood

Monday, 4 February 2013

With regard to safe-guarding jobs, well this is an issue for Boots and other firms to sort out if they are jeopardizing their workforce by avoiding tax paying. I've just spent my £ in Halifax indoor market where I've been buying cheeses at the same stall since 1980 and am glad it's there. Likewise Brown's cafe who sell me a large decent coffee and toasted teacake in the town centre for £1.99 ! Now why can't someone in Hebden do the same ? Perhaps we could have a praise the ethical local shops site ?