Ryburne

Small ads

Scar on the landscape

From Andy G

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Does anyone know what's happening on the West side of the Hebden Valley in the vicinity of Upper Lee? For several weeks now there has been a major construction project ongoing involving the erection of at least two large steel-framed agricultural or industrial buildings, which really stand out in this beautiful setting. To make matters worse, a large swathe of land below the site - stretching down as far as the top of the steep slope overlooking the river near Lee Mill Bridge - has been scarified and re-graded (i.e. all the vegetation and topsoil has been removed and possibly extra soil may have been added to create a gentler slope). this has created a massive and ugly scar on the landscape, which can be clearly seen from Midgehole Road, Keighley Road and Ackroyd Lane - not to mention most public footpaths in between. Any information will be gratefully received - including an explanation from the landowner.

Wishing all our readers a very happy new year and keep a close eye on all those dodgy planning issues!

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 2 January 2014

The relevant planning application is 12/01248, for the conversion of an agricultural building to a dwelling and garages. The extensive topsoil clearance is apparently temporary, to allow installation of an underground heat extraction system using pipes full of antifreeze. Don't ask me how that works.

For a while there was a visualisation of the proposed buildings on an A4 attached to a gate, but it has now gone. It showed what I thought were significantly smaller buildings than the ones being built, but that's architects' drawings for you.

From Paul D

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Sounds like the owners of the land, having gone through correct procedures, are doing what was set out to and agreed to by our local authority. Nothing like a bit of totally legal building work to annoy people though. Bound to annoy someone out for a stroll. Can we fine them for owning the land and then for having the foresight to use the correct procedures before building on it or something? Not even the courtesy of a focus group?

From Andy G

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Thanks Graham. Let's hope that the landscape is eventually restored to its original state. I think it will probably take a while.

From Kez Armitage

Friday, 3 January 2014

Paul D is quite right. We've all had a chance to comment on this development, which has gone through all the statutory processes. The fact that it has been permitted reflects on our lack of vigilance and subsequent input. As a result, we are left with something that not many of us would really want.

There's a salutary lesson here. Keep ahead of the game and keep looking at the Calderdale planning website. Given the government's intention to relax planning controls, it's all the more important that we are aware of everything that the developers want to do in our valley.

Some development will be good, some will be bad, but at least, by scrutinising the Calderdale website, we may have a slight opportunity to influence proceedings. Paul D's post is a wake up call to us all, and we should be grateful to him.

From Graham Barker

Friday, 3 January 2014

I think Paul's cynicism is a little misplaced here. The reason I enquired about the planning application was that the ground clearance for the heating system made it look as though there was going to be building on a massive scale. I know others shared that concern. More information displayed at the site would have been helpful.