Ryburne

Small ads

Excessive chainsaw use at 12:30am

From Mike Stephens

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Hello,

For anyone who has been wondering who the hell has been waking up half of Hebden Bridge at 12:30am with deafening and disruptive chain sawing, it appears Network Rail are cutting down some trees up on the hill by the Co-operative. Apparently it will continue until 15th March.

It's apparent that lots residents are voicing their concerns on social media (both twitter and facebook) that they too being *servilely* disrupted and not one of us have received any notifications about any works going on.

I've lodged a complaint with Network Rail (a whole lot of good that will do) and also with the council. I've phoned the police (101) but they just refer you to complain to the council.

If anyone else wants to lodge a complaint you can phone Network Rail on 0845 711 4141 and also inform the council. The more people complaining the better.

Where do I/we stand on excessive noise pollution within the early hours? I literally got 4 hours sleep both Monday and Tuesday night. Are we totally powerless to do anything to stop them aside from chaining myself to the trees that they want to cut down (seriously contemplating it last night)? I'll be damned if I'm only going to get 4 hours of sleep for the rest of the week.

Cheers
Mike (@bit_byte_bit)

From Gary W

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

I did receive written notification regarding the work being carried out. It said in the letter that they have no choice but to carry out the noisy work at night as they are unable/not allowed to do the work during train operating times. Unfortunately, it appears that they are legally allowed to do what they are doing. I find ear plugs help, but other than that we have no option than put up with it. It is one of the drawbacks to living near a railway line.

From Mike Stephens

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Thanks for confirming you got notified, at least some people did. I wonder what catchment area is required? I'm probably 200-300m from the track (according to Google).

You'd think they would coincide with the work at the weekend when they seem to cancel every train to/from Hebden Bridge and send in a fleet of buses!

From Claire M

Thursday, 13 March 2014

I'm so glad someone else has noticed this. We live up Mytholm steeps and it's kept me awake for hours!

We had no such notification of it - March 15th did you say? Damn and double damn. I will be emailing the link, thanks.

From Sara Fitzgerald

Thursday, 13 March 2014

It's not just residents living close to the line that are affected. We live on the opposite hillside and have been kept awake for the last two or three nights by the horrible noise. I think it's outrageous and unacceptable on several levels and will be complaining to Network Rail. If I was living close by I think I'd probably be contemplating something a little more drastic! Tonight, it seems to be jack hammers rather than chainsaws. What on earth are they actually doing and why?

From Lyn Andrews

Thursday, 13 March 2014

I have also been kept awake this week because of the work being done on the hillside. I wasn't informed either and when I complained to Network Rail that's the only thing that they were bothered about, that I had not had a letter!

I also think that its unacceptable but basically we just have to put up with it. They say they have the right to do it. I did find the earplugs did help last night!

Previously

HebWeb Forum: Network Rail tree felling (June 2009)

HebWeb Forum: Network rail - can we stop the devastation? (May 2008)

HebWeb Forum: Stop Network Rail Tree Felling (Jan 2006)