Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Co-op store emergency exit closed by shutter after 6.00pm

From Peter N

Thursday, 9 March 2017

I have sent an e-mail to the Co-op as follows:

I am very worried about the evacuation procedures in case of an emergency at your Hebden Bridge store on Market Street. At 19.15 today I walked passed the store and notice that the shutter on one of the entrances and exit was closed. There is a sign in store showing this as an emergency exit. When I asked a member of staff I was informed that the shutters are closed at 6.00pm each night so as to avoid thieves making off with goods. He would report my concerns. He stated that in an emergency the staff would guide the shoppers out. At 21.15 I again walked passed and the shutters were closed.There appeared to be open one exit available. Your comments please.

From Julie C

Friday, 10 March 2017

Well that's a disaster waiting to happen. It's not just fire and flood that are a danger - any incident on the west side of the store in the evening would leave people on the east side of building stuck. It's no good saying staff would guide people out, in an emergency it's everyone for themselves often enough, despite the best intentions.

If there is a problem with security, that must be secured with staffing, or adding a push bar to open bar to the exit door, and leaving the roller shutter up. That way people can get out safely, and robbers can't get in. Come on Co-op sort this out now.

From Peter N

Friday, 10 March 2017

This is the reply from the Co-op:

Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting us and raising your concerns about the shutters being down at our Hebden Bridge store.

I am also concerned about this so I've raised it with our Risk Manager and Operations Manager to make sure this is authorised.

Thank you for telling us, If I can do anything else to help, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Please could everyone keep an eye on this one. I would not wish anyone to be hurt.