Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Bird droppings - Town Hall

From David Tut

Thursday, 22 June 2017

Today I got in touch with Calderdale Environmental Health with the hope that they will come to Hebden Bridge and clean up the disgusting and dangerous condition of the wavy steps next to the packhorse bridge on Bridge Gate. The reason being the large amount of bird droppings, ducks pigeons etc, and that's saying it politely! This is not the first time that I have had to do this. I just wonder, do our local councillors walk round my town in blinkers? I could go on and mention other matters regarding the environment but I unfortunately do not get a salary.

From David Tut

Friday, 23 June 2017

Having stated in my previous letter regarding the wavy steps next to the old bridge and my contact with Calderdale Environmental Health, I received a call telling me that they could not deal with this problem and I would have to get in touch with Customer First in Halifax, so I told them, much to their surprise, that we have Customer First in our local library all be it part time, so I went to the library and made my point and hopefully left the situation in their capable hands.

0nce again, I ask myself, why did all that money get spent on a new Town Hall and close the council offices? They still use it for council meetings and official duties, but not for the needs of day to day problems of the local people in Hebden Bridge! There is one good thing I suppose. I can get a cup of tea and a sandwich and use the lovely toilets without having to pay. I rest my case.

From Jan Scott Nelson

Friday, 23 June 2017

Thank you so much for reporting the state of the steps, David. Hopefully they'll get sorted out now.

By the way, you do know that Hebden Bridge Town Hall isn't owned by the council, don't you?

From David Tut

Friday, 23 June 2017

Great news. Steps cleaned first thing this morning

From Jonathan Timbers

Sunday, 2 July 2017

Just to add to the clarity Jan brought to this thread about the ownership of the town hall, Calderdale Council do not meet in the old council chamber or anywhere else in the building.

The local town and parish councils meet there. The offices immediately outside are staffed by employees of Hebden Royd Town Council.

The Town Council owns and runs the cinema and provides allotments in Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd. It also funds community events. And runs it's own public events.

In equal partnership with the surrounding parish councils, it is also developing a neighbourhood plan so Calderdale can make better local planning decisions.

In addition, it is a statutory consultee for any planning applications from within the boundaries of its civil parish.

Unlike Calderdale councillors, all parish and town councillors are unpaid volunteers.

The Town Council plays an important role in Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd in improving the local environment and supporting the voluntary sector.

It has no statutory duties to provide services but it does collect a precept on top of your council tax, which it spends on the local community. The next full town council elections are in 2019.

From Zilla Brown

Monday, 3 July 2017

“Just to add to the clarity Jan brought to this thread about the ownership of the town hall, Calderdale Council do not meet in the old council chamber or anywhere else in the building.”

OK Jonathan, but could you then tell us (as it is still not clear)  who actually  does own the “Town Hall”. I may be wrong but isn’t it run by a group/ committee of private individuals ( as in nothing to do with government or the Town Council) who obtain funding/ grants  for  the running of the place?

The building was the former Council Offices so the present name is a misnomer that adds to confusion of its remit.

From Jonathan Timbers

Monday, 3 July 2017

As I understand it, it is owned by Hebden Bridge Community Association, which has charitable status. A lot of socially minded local people were involved in setting it up. Their names appear on a wall in the Town Hall building. You might even know some of them.

Google Hebden Bridge Town Hall. All the answers are there.

From Graham Mynott

Tuesday, 4 July 2017

This thread has developed into a discussion about the ownership of the Town Hall - so I thought I'd explain.

The whole building (old and new parts) are owned and run by Hebden Bridge Community Association. I am the Director (and one of the employees) of the Community Association.

The Association is a Charity (1127597) and Company (6685276) - you can find our audited accounts and information about the Trustees of the Charity (who are also the Directors of the Company) via the Charity Commission and Companies House. This information is also all available on our website if you click through the "About" section.

The Association was created in order to receive the "asset" transfer of the whole site from Calderdale MBC which took place on 1st April 2010.

If anyone wants to know more then please don't hesitate to come and ask in our office which is on your right as you come through the main doors to the Town Hall.

Finally I should add that the Association is a membership charity and everyone is welcome to join