Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Brexit and shortages of medicines

From Kath and George Murphy 

Monday, 2 September 2019

As carers we are worried about the threat to medical supplies if Brexit proceeds without a deal at the end of October. We understand that there has been some build up of drugs by the NHS, but that certain vital medicines are impossible to stockpile. 

According to The Sunday Times, these include drugs for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, epilepsy and neuralgia. According to the government's leaked Operation Yellowhammer document the supply chain for these medicines is "particularly vulnerable". 

We are writing this note as concerned parents, in the hope that Craig Whittaker MP and others can get assurances that supply lines for these vital medicines will be maintained in the case of a no deal Brexit on October 31st. 

From Mark H

Monday, 2 September 2019

Myself and my partner are both Type 1 diabetics, requiring 2 sorts of insulin for daily injection. It can't be stockpiled for long, and in any case our supplies are governed by the amount our prescriptions allow for.

We felt somehow reassured while Theresa May - also a Type 1 diabetic - was PM. At least she had a vested interest in maintaining the supply of insulin (mostly from Denmark). I doubt that Dominic Cummings gives much of a fig about our predicament, so Boris won't either.

So, Craig, how much of a fig do you give? You very kindly sent us a little notice to put on our door to tell the world we don't want any cold callers, or doorstep traders. I keep this notice on the mantelpiece; I reckon the portrait of our seldom seen MP will keep the children way from the fire. And that is the only good thing I can think of to commend him to the electorate.

Nevertheless I will be writing to our MP asking him a direct question about how adequate levels of supply of medication will be maintained in the event of any sort of Brexit. If I get an answer, I'll share it here.

Here's another good reason why the NHS should never, ever, be sold off to American businesses.

Oh, and by the way - looks like we could be in for an election soon. Please make sure you and yours are all registered to vote, and that you get out and vote. Believe it or not there are many more important things than Brexit which ought to be occupying the talents of our parliament...