Re: FOE backs Blair on fuel duty

Posted by Anne Handley (195.92.67.71) on September 12, 2000 at 16:56:06:

In Reply to: FOE backs Blair on fuel duty posted by Charles Secret on September 11, 2000 at 21:16:30:

I agree entirely! I'm sure the effects would be more paletable if the government would justify the fuel increases effectively in these terms
through the media. I have the feeling that most people simply think that the capitalist [Labour!] government are just out to screw small businesses
and individual motorists for as much as they can!

I've not seen any defense
of the measures by Blair, and even if he tried, it's a bit late now. He should have justified the increases earlier and at the same time introduced
counter measures, such as encouragements to use more efficient vehicles and use them less, to use local business and trade, and to improve public
transport etc.

Interesting, though! To see how people behave when they are deprived of fossil fuels. It's a useful insight into how it will be when the resources
run out. What does it take to convince people that the supply of fossil fuels IS finite (and that that is a fact, not just some theory that the
scientists will over-ride with a more acceptable one). Interesting but frightening!
>