Re: Fuel Protests

Posted by Tim Swift (195.92.168.163) on November 05, 2000 at 20:41:27:

In Reply to: Re: Fuel Protests posted by Nigel Yorke on November 03, 2000 at 15:52:19:

Like both of the other commentators, I too am angry about the fuel protestors and the way they are being treated by much of the media and the Conservative party.

Working with older people, I know that there were very real concerns last time about the impact if the blockade had continued for a short while longer. The threats being made already are causing considerable distress for many vulnerable older people.

They are certainly not acting for me, and the impressions I get when talking to people about these protests are very different from the suggestion in the press that they have popular support.

Practical action? One step might be to right to any of the major supermarkets and other large firms, asking them what action they will be taking against any haulage firm they use who let them down because of taking part in protests. I suggest also mkaking direct protests to any nationally-known firms if you see wagons with their names on shown on TV as taking part in protests.

>