Budding playwrights needed for Hebden Shorts
Saturday, 23 February 2013
Hebden Shorts is back for its third outing and needs new writers to submit 15 minute plays for their run during the Arts Festival in June.
The Shorts team had a year off in 2012 after two sell-out runs and their return is a unique opportunity for any budding Stoppards or Millers to have their work performed and directed by experienced professionals,
The Shorts are being revived in partnership with the Arts Festival and they want to hear from writers of any age and any level of experience who are resident in Calderdale.
“We are delighted that Hebden Shorts are back showcasing the range of talent in our community but as the festival is also about nurturing new talent so we want to hear from fresh voices,” says Artistic Director Helen Meller.
“Apart from having something to say all you have to do is write a self contained story no longer than 15 minutes, and it must be the original work of the writer that has not been performed anywhere else.”
The shorts have attracted some of our best local professional thespians including Dominic Mitchell, Mark Charnock,Lorraine Cheshire, Eileen O'Brien, Paul Liam Fox, Paul Opacic, Enid Dunn, Jo Mitchell, and Ursula Holden Gill.
The new writers will also have to chance to work regular writers including treble Bafta winner Stephen Brady and Bolton Octagon’s Anna Clarkson
They will also be joined award winning teen fiction author Melvin
Burgess who won 2012 Los Angeles Times Young Adult book of the year award for his novel 'Doin' it.' .
Hebden Shorts has gained a national reputation for supporting local talent and the influential What’s On Stage said it: ‘celebrates the concentration of talent in the area with a series of short plays written, directed and performed by small teams with impressive lists of credits under their belts.’
The deadline for your submission is Monday April 15 2013 so email Helen@hbaf.co.uk or post it to HBAF, Hebden Bridge Town Hall, St George’s Street, Hebden Bridge. HX7 7AY
Previously, on the HebWeb
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival 2013: first act to be announced is comedian Daniel Kitson (18 Feb 2013)
- HebWeb News: Record turnout for Arts Festival open meeting (Nov 2012)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival is looking for your memories (7 Nov)
- HebWeb News: New faces at Arts Festival (22 Oct)
- HebWeb News: Festival and Parade team up for 'sensational afternoon' next year (25 Sept)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival seeks new board members (18 Sept)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival is over (12 July)
- HebWeb News: Carnival weekend in Hebden (3 July)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival and Handmade Parade hit the sunny streets of Hebden (27 June)
- HebWeb News: The girls are back in town! (20 June)
- HebWeb News: Festival Box Office opens Saturday 16th June
- HebWeb News: Dance weekend to kick off Arts festival
- HebWeb News: Festival Programme launched: Matisse and Stewart Lee headline
- HebWeb News: Hebden Bridge Fringe Programme launched
- HebWeb News: Countdown to Arts Festival