Hebden Shorts 2015: Get writing over Christmas
Thursday, 11 December 2014
Hebden Bridge Arts Festival is challenging local playwrights to get writing over the festive season as they open submissions for next year's Shorts series of new plays.
Hebden Shorts have become a guaranteed sell out in the festival showcasing fifteen minute works by new and established playwrights performed and directed by local talent.
The Shorts are also a showcase for local actors to show off their skills from those new to treading the boards to more established names like Emmerdale stars Dominic Brunt and Mark Charnock.
Festival Director Helen Meller said: "Hebden Shorts is one of the cornerstones of our festival programme, but we hope that local writers will get to work after they have finished their Christmas puddings.
"The two themes for the 2015 festival are 'The Hills Are Alive' and 'Trouser Town', so we hope some writers will feel inspired by them, but it is an open submission and the only limits are your imagination."
Hebden Shorts submissions are now open and scripts can be emailed to Helen Meller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is March 2nd 2015.
Terms and conditions
Open Call for plays for inclusion in this year's Hebden Shorts.
HBAF invites writers of any age and any level of experience who are living in Calderdale to submit a Short play for consideration for this year's Hebden Shorts.
- Writers must be resident in Calderdale
- Plays must be no longer than 15 pages (double spaced)
- Plays must be the original work of the writer and not been performed elsewhere
- It must be a self contained story not an extract from a longer work
- The piece submitted must be suitable for a small cast.
- The staging needs to be kept simple- no elaborate effects, staging and props.
- Entries to be submitted electronically, to email@example.com in Word or PDF format by 2 March 2015.
- All entries will be acknowledged.
- Entries received midnight on March 3rd will not be accepted.
- Entries to be submitted electronically via email only.
- Winners will be notified by Thursday 26 March and will need to be available for a one hour dramaturgy session w/c 13 April.
- There will be no feedback for unsuccessful entrants.
- There will be no fee.
- All 6 plays will be produced by a professional cast and director as 'Hebden Shorts' during Hebden Bridge Arts Festival - 26 June - 5 July 2015.
Previously, the Festival on the HebWeb
- HebWeb News: Exclusive first public showing of Arts Festival video (24 November 2014)
- HebWeb News: Young arts producers win national awards (20 November 2014)
- HebWeb News: Calder High Students deliver #yourfest (2 July 2014)
- HebWeb News: Streets come alive with Arts Festival (29 June 2014)
- HebWeb News: Win tickets to see George Monbiot (20 June 2014)
- HebWeb News: Michael Morpurgo's 'I Believe in Unicorns' (11 June 2014)
- HebWeb News: John Shuttleworth sells out (6 June 2014)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival - 2014 programme published (19 May 2014)
- HebWeb News: Arts festival short plays announced. (12 May 2014)
- HebWeb News: Comedian Simon Amstell to play Picture House (8 May2014)
- HebWeb News: The Tiger Lillies play one off show at Hebden Bridge Arts Festival (10 April 2014)
- HebWeb News: Festival seeks new board members (27 March 2014)
- HebWeb News: Meet the Arts Festival team (10 March 2014)
- HebWeb News: Local business invited for a festival cuppa (15 Feb 2014)
- HebWeb News: New look for Arts Festival (31 January 2014)
- HebWeb News: Budding Playwrights Wanted! (20 January 2014)
- HebWeb News: Festival Board thanks Festival volunteers, and the HebWeb (21 July 2013)
- HebWeb News: Latest from the Festival (26 June 2013)
- Arts Festival Website