Walking with History
Pennine Horizons e-trails - Guided Walks & Walking Weekends
Monday, 23 February 2015
The South Pennines are a combination of unique landscape and outstanding industrial heritage. The area has long been a favoured resort for walkers and historians. To share this special area with even more people, Pennine Horizons has teamed up with a whole host of local volunteers, community groups and organisations to create 12 interesting and inspiring walks and trails.
Pennine Horizons e-trails provide you with an opportunity to explore the area on foot with the bonus of having information about the landscape, ecology or history at your finger tips.
The e-trail Apps (with map, walk directions, audio commentaries and historical photographs) will be available to download from end of March to a phone or tablet and include interesting stories of local events and people of note as well as information about the awe-inspiring ecology and outstanding industrial heritage of the area. Hard copies of the walk guides will be sold by local outlets from late March.
(Go to the App Store from your phone or tablet or on iTunes on your computer and search for Pennine Horizons. For iPads, you must select the tab 'for iPad only')
To promote the e-trails we have organised a series of guided walks and weekends.
Tuesday 24th March - Colden Clough - Power in the Landscape
Friday 27th March - Cragg Vale - Mills & Dynasties, Wilderness & Traditions.
Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March - Walking with History: e-trails Launch Weekend.
Saturday 28th March
- Hebden Bridge's Woodland Heritage. 3 miles
- The Heptonstall Trail – an Ancient Village Explored. 2 miles.
- Cooperatives and Visions - Radical History around Hebden Bridge. 8 miles.
Sunday 29th March
- Todmorden Tops - Forged by the Fielden Dynasty. 8 miles
- A Walk Around Todmorden with the Fieldens. 3.5 miles.
- Charlestown and Jumble Hole. 3 miles.
Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th April - Walking with History Weekend
Saturday 25th April
- Blackshawhead Packhorse Trail, 2 miles.
Sunday 26th April - Radical History eTrails launch
- Riots and Protests - Radical History around Todmorden. 8 miles.
- Cooperatives and Visions - Radical History around Hebden Bridge, 4 miles.
Saturday 2nd May - Hebden Bridge's Woodland Heritage e-trail, 3 miles.
Saturday 6th June - Sam Hill Story – Fortunes, Feuds and Scandals. 3.5 miles.