Discussion Forum
Missing Mytholmroyd gorilla

From Sam R
Friday, 22 February 2008

I notice one of our gorilla's is missing...anyone have any news on that

Posted by Fran R
Saturday, 23 February 2008

See Mytholmroyd Net

It's resting in Sowerby Bridge. If we want it back, which we do of course, please e-mail Jason Boom:-)

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass
Saturday, 23 February 2008

So, does anyone know why the gorilla went to Sowerby Bridge? Was it because their Christmas lights were bigger and brighter? Because it has a friend it wanted to visit? Because it fell out wth its companion? Because it hadn't had a holiday since it was installed?

Mytholmroyd may want its gorilla back - but does the gorilla want to come back? Has anybody asked it?

Posted by Fran R
Sunday, 24 February 2008

Tony

It was the latest victim of the vandals. Flat on it's back when I saw it last.

Posted by Janice S
Sunday, 24 February 2008

I think it should be made to come back and face up to its responsibilities - I assume it's the parent of the baby gorilla in the arms of the one remaining gorilla.

Posted by Andy M
Tuesday, 26 February 2008

To be honest; I can't say I miss it!

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass

Shhh - you'll hurt its feelings!

Really, Andy, these negative sentiments are dangerous. Now, if you could just be more positive about the gorilla, it might just begin to influence some of the thoughts in this community, and we might find silly ideas about a 10-foot knife in St George's square being swept aside by plans for ... er ... a 10-foot gorilla?

Posted by Janice S

I didn't like the gorillas when they first appeared but I've got used to them now. Maybe we could leave the gorilla in Sowerby Bridge and put the gnomon where it used to stand.

Posted by Andy M
Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Sorry Rev!

Public art doesn't have to be permanent though. I think it had outlived it's comedic value!

Posted by Nigel L
Sunday, 2 March 2008

Ah gorilla you've gone
You wander and roam
Oh where are you now
It's time to come home.

You left us so sudden
gave no time to say bye
Oh come back to our bosom
Or maybe I'll cry.

There's a space in our hearts
And a gap on the grass
so return to your spot
and be quick, move your ass.

Posted by Frances M
Sunday, 2 March 2008

I was concerned about the absent father of the baby gorillas. Initially assumed it had done a runner, however have been on the track of it on behalf of the CSA.

Apparently the male gorilla could cope any more and fell over after severe foot rot. Calderdale council workers have recovered the fallen ape and placed him in protective custody somewhere in Todmorden Park. He has joined a Parrot that has similary rotted.

They weren't great works of art, but they were fun, and I've enjoyed the unexpected and obscurely connected piece of Art. Wonder if we could have a competition to make new sculpture, but to be fair, anyone who wins will have to have a thick skin, as art is subjective, so not everyone will like it. Perhaps that's why it was a gorilla.
Its a great valley for artists so surely we have room (on the canal or outside the Drs in Mytholmroyd) to allow more artistic expression. At least it makes a change from the parking debate!