Discussion Forum
20 mph

From Susan Quick
Wednesday, 2 July 2008

The 20 mph limit will end at the 'boundaries' of the town. I live on King Street in front of the Stubbing Wharf pub. I have been knocked down by a car when crossing the road. Fortunately is was not speeding. Cars regularly drive along King Street at over 40 mph. Every day elderly ladies scrurry across the road to reach the bus stop on the river side.

Will the boundary of the town be extended to include King Street when the massive housing complex is being built?

From Janice S
Thursday, 3 July 2008

I agree with Susan about King Street - it's about time that something was done to make it safer for pedestrians. I think a proper crossing with light should be installed (and I know that drivers will complain that there are far too many traffic lights through HB at the moment, but pedestrians have rights too). The previous planning application for the Browns site included some junction improvements to make the road safer (a small roundabout instead of the turning circle I think) but this latest one which was granted permission doesn't seem to address the traffic problems.

Few drivers seem to be complying with the 20 mph limit anyway - it's about time it was enforced. I've seen some dreadful examples of speeding recently at the east end of town and somehow it makes it even more dangerous for those optimistic pedestrians who think they have time to cross the road safely, as they would if drivers obeyed the 20 mph limit.

From Ian M
Thursday, 3 July 2008

Janice,
I could agree with your comments if the pedestrians you refer to actually used the crossings provided. Although there are two within a few hundred yards of each other I have lost count of the number of people who wander across the road, putting themselves and others in danger by stepping in front of traffic whilst ignoring a nearby crossing.

They may have time to cross the road safely if they used the crossing provided instead of arrogantly striding across two lanes of traffic!

From Christoph K
Monday, 21 July 2008

I agree with Janice about the need for better crossing facilities near the Stubbing Wharf. Crossing the main road at any point between Oakville Road and the Stubbing Wharf involves a blind summit and a blind corner. There are also two very narrow bits of pavement.

I am not sure that 20mph is really feasible so far away from the centre of town, but at the same time I think it is important to slow traffic down to 30mph, and give people a chance to get accross the road safely.

I think your idea of a roundabout is great as it would slow traffic down in the middle of a long straight section. Add to this a pelican crossing, either opposite King Street or opposite the Stubbing Wharf, and drivers would be much more aware that pedestrians frequently use that part of the road.

See also

Previous thread: 20 mph limit