Discussion Forum
Town Council budget

From Coun Susan Press
Thursday, 17 January 2008

I find it extraordinary that Liberal Democrat councillors John Beacroft-Mitchelland Christine Bampton-Smith are trying to claim credit and feign enthusiasn for a Labour budget for Hebden Royd to which they were violently opposed. There was indeed two hours of "passionate debate" in which both these two were time and time again opposing increases like the one cited for the Environmental Renaissance budget and calling for a cut in overall grant funding of £5000. A move to grant £10,000 to parks and public spaces in Mytholmroyd was also opposed by them.

At the end of the meeting, they voted against the overall budget. And now they have the gall to try and pretend they were in support of it. What disgraceful hypocrisy.

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass

Forgive me if I've missed something, but I didn't see anything in the quotes attributed to either that looked like "claiming credit." It rather looked like an attempt to justify their opposition.

Or is there another news report in which they do claim credit?

From Coun Susan Press

The report as a whole was issued as a Press Release by the Liberal Democrats without consultation. Mayor Nader Frekri, who talks about Budget in such glowing terms, is also a Liberal Democrat. The Liberals' budget would have meant a £15000 reduction in grants and funding. Nowhere is there any acknowledgment that the Budget agreed is not the one originally tabled by the two councillors who, as I say, voted against the whole thing at the end of the council meeting.

From Joseph S
Friday, 18 January 2008

Again Cllr Press, I'm not sure you do yourself any favours with this kind of political opining. I'd be interested in what you thought of Garden Street and what you were doing to support/reject the plan, as it would seem pretty crucial to the future development of the town. I've not seen your post on that thread yet.

This budget stuff and who voted for who on a tiny little budget? Bit dull & petty really.

See Hebweb News: Town Council budget