Discussion Forum
Old Gate

From James S
Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Was it just me, or have other folks missed this? Possibly while attention was on garden street?

Something needed to be done with the building, but does it really need demolishing? Its a fairly historic building for the town and to be replaced with something very mediocre. its such a prominent spot, in many ways more prominant than Garden Street.

I'm suprised this hasn't met with at least a few questions.

From Jack F
Tuesday, 7 July 2009

I believe this was raised some time ago.

It was argued that the current building (a former bakery?) was unlisted and in too poor a state to be repaired.

Seems a real shame to me, as I'm sure it does to many.

From Diana Monahan
Thursday, 9 July 2009

I have rather a lot of emails etc from when
07/02421/CAC planning application for the demolition of 19 Old Gate Hebden Bridge came up in December 2007 and a file on what I had time to find out about the building.

Both Hebden Bridge Local History and the Civic Trust put in a lot of time on the issue. West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service were also involved and I have a copy of their response which requested the condition 2 that an archaeological and architectural record should be made prior to and during the demolition and lodged with the local authority. Has someone the time to find out from planning if this is/has been done?