Discussion Forum
Work space and Wifi in Hebden Bridge

From Hugh Wilson
Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Hi to all. I'm moving to Hebden in a few weeks and am on the lookout for some cheap-ish desk space. That's all I really need - a desk and some access to the internet (I'm a journalist/copywriter). A co-working space would be fine (i.e. a shared drop-in space) and I know there has been some discussion of this on the forum, but I'm not sure if the idea has got off the ground.

The space can be anywhere within a few miles of Hebden. If anyone has any information, I'd be very grateful.

Alternatively, or perhaps as well, do any of the cafes/pubs/bars in Hebden offer free Wifi (or indeed Wifi)? Again, I believe this has been touched upon before here but some time ago, so again, any up-to-date information gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Hugh

From Andrew McCall
Saturday, 25 July 2009

Hi Hugh

I'm still very keen and making progress on getting a Coworking space going.

Coincidentally you've brought it back up just as I've come to post a quick update.

Yesterday I had a very positive meeting about cooperative loan funding and if everything continues to come together we'll be aiming for a September/October launch.

The space will be run as a cooperative primarily for the benefit of the creative professional residents (or members) but will also welcome and support day users and anyone else that just needs a desk or some ad hoc meeting space. Any profits will be reinvested into the facillities our goal being sustainability in both a green and economic sense.

Tentatively we've been calling it The Collaboratory.

In the meantime if you, or anyone else for that matter, hasn't already taken the survey any input would be extremely helpful and I appreciate it. Additionally if you've got any other questions or comments please let me know either here or email me directly.

From Hugh Wilson
Monday, 27 July 2009

Hi Andrew,
thanks very much for that update. Love the sound of what you're setting up, and will certainly be offering my support and using the facilities regularly. I've completed the survey.

Good luck with it, and do please keep me up-to-speed with developments.

Cheers, Hugh

From Dave Brookes
Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Free WiFi is also available to members at the refurbished Library on Cheetham Street.

From Isla S
Saturday, 15 August 2009

The Alternative Technology Centre (on the canal behind the Trades turn Right walk 200yrds) offers free wifi in the cafe if you have a laptop or iphone/ipod touch etc. They also do great tea and cake and you can sit outside undercover and enjoy the views of the canal while you surf!

From Jo Beacroft-Mitchell
Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Or you could try the new enterprise hub in Mytholmroy if you don't mind a quick walk down the canal (or 2 minutes on the bus).
PC's internet access, copiers, a MAC and free tea and coffee all in newly built lovely space by the river.