Discussion Forum
Working Tax Credit

From Gerry Mitchell
Thursday, 3 September 2009

My name is Gerry Mitchell and I am a researcher in the social policy department at the London School of Economics and Political Science. A colleague, Hartley Dean, and I are doing a study looking at the effects of the Working Tax Credit first introduced by the government in 2003. We are interested in the impacts the new tax credit has upon the attitudes and feelings that those who receive it have about their jobs. No one else is currently undertaking independent research on this.

If you are currently receiving Working Tax Credit or have received it for any period of time since 2003, would you be prepared to help us?

We assure you that:

• This is a totally independent study funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. We are in no way connected to the government or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
  • Whatever you tell us will be treated in the strictest confidence. You will not in any way be identified as having taken part.
  • A researcher would come and talk to you by appointment in your home or other agreed venue for about an hour. With your agreement, she would record the conversation to enable us carefully to analyse and understand what you have said.
    You would not have to answer any questions you don’t want to. You would be free to stop the interview and withdraw from taking part at any time.
  • Our study’s purpose is not to investigate the administrative problems the Working Tax Credit scheme has experienced. Other researchers have already done that! Our aim is to explore the deeper effects of the scheme; what it means to people; and what it might mean for the way they experience their jobs.

If you are able and willing to take part in our study, we would be extremely grateful. My email is g.mitchell-smith@lse.ac.uk. office tel: 0207 955 7670 or mobile: 07864 710499.

Thank you
Best wishes
Gerry