Discussion Forum
Hebden Bridge Station: Disabled Access

From Susan Quick
Thursday, 10 September 2009

Friends of Hebden Bridge Station are currently seeking solutions to access problems at Hebden Bridge Station. People who cannot manage steps are unable to access the westbound platform. They can access eastbound services at Todmorden station. They can access both platforms at Mytholmroyd but this station has an inferior train serice and no dedicated car parking for disabled blue badge holders.

Hebden Bridge station is a Grade 2 listed building, and one of the architectural attractions in a town renowned for its architectural beauty.

The dilema: how to provide better access for severely mobility impaired passengers; parents with pushchairs and passengers with large and heavy suitcases.

From Jack F

One possible idea for Hebden Bridge Station...

Am I right in thinking that there used to be an entrance to the south of the tracks from the unmade road (not sure of the name of the road or who owns it)? Looks to me like there may have been an entrance there at one point.

Not a great solution, with the road condition/ownership issues and the steep path to the car park (with bollards), but it's a starting point I guess.

From David Mack

Have you looked at the Station Travel Plans website?

The relevant section states:

"Access to Platform 2 (Leeds bound) is level from the station entrance. Access to Platform 1 (Manchester bound) is via steps from Platform 2 to the subway and steep ramp. In 2006 Metro commissioned a feasibility study for the provision of step free access. The study concluded that ramped access was not practical given the geography and conservation area status, however whilst the reinstatement of lifts may be possible the cost at this time proved to be prohibitive. In 2007 Metro nominated Hebden Bridge for the DfT’s National Access for All initiative and whilst not successful at that time Metro will continue to lobby for lift provision at the station."

From Susan Quick
Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Hi if anyone would like to come there's a meeting of Friends of Hebden Bridge sStation tonight Wednesday 16th September at 6.30pm in the Waiting Room on Platform 1 at the Station. All welcome Best wishes Susan Quick