Discussion Forum
English Defence League & BNP

From Mark Adcock
Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Hello all, I am from Leeds originally and now spend much of my life in Hebden. The fascist English Defence League are planning a static protest in Leeds on the 31st October 2009. Many people, myself included will be going to the counter protest organised by Unite Against Fascism and Hope Not Hate. Please come along and help us show these thugs that there are more of us than there are of them.

From Ryan Telfer
Thursday, 22 October 2009

Mark, is it not slightly fascistic or prejudicial to describe an entire group as 'thugs', or to say that 'there are more of us than there are of them'?

In my view, that kind of attitude is as divisive, aggressive and unbecoming of an inclusive, understanding and tolerant society, as any of those of the English Defence League.

From Claire Marsden

BNP on question time: I'm sure i am not alone in feeling that tonight's Question Time, with the BNP being represented is going to cause widespread offense and probably spark a rise in racially motivated attacks.

The beeb aren't to blame, they say, they must be impartial, so who is to blame?

I for one am going to write to my MP and ask them to please pass on my disgust that representatives from each major political party are going to partake in debating with the scum bag that is Nick Griffiths, it would be a much more powerful statement if there were three empty seats on the panel

No platform for racists!

From Ian M

Whilst the majority of us may not agree with his views, Nick Griffin has a right to them and in a democratic society has a right to voice them in public.

If we attempt to stop him, we become that which we despise so much. Give him enough rope and he will hang himself!

From Emma Crute
Saturday, 24 October 2009

Mark, thank you for posting. I will be there next Saturday. I understand that people are meeting about 1200 at the Art Gallery on the Headrow.

From Kiwi N
Sunday, 25 October 2009

I couldnt believe what happened on Question Time... I thought this will be the defining moment for the party to hang itself and expose Griffin's views.

The panel were the biggest bullies, constantly asking questions or making statements to which they then give the answers and didn't allow him to air his views, which would have surely been as detrimental as possible to him and the party. This showed a complete lack of intelligence by the panel who came across as spoilt schoolyard bullies with a pack mentality.

They missed their chance to let him hang himself.... I felt so let down.

Plus the demographic of the audience - handpicked by the BBC to represent cross section of nationalities, but not age groups... it felt like a sixth form debate.

Yes it was all stage-managed as a lynch mob, the panel being the lynch mob and the young reps getting a future lesson in how to bully.

From Mark Adcock
Monday, 26 October 2009

Yes, outside the Art Gallery at 12 is correct. There should be plenty of us I would imagine. I will be getting an early-ish train to meet up with friends in Leeds beforehand.

To Ryan I would say, if you have seen any of the footage or attended any of the "static protests" of the English Defence League, you would realise why I label them all as "thugs". No, it isn't fascistic or prejudicial. That would insinuate that I have made the statement before witnessing their actions. If people act as thugs, they will be labeled as such.

As for being divisive. Rolling up in ethnically mixed areas for no reason other than to be offensive and chant Nazi and racist slogans and chants is a little more aggressive than the brand of peaceful opposition that I, and the millions like me represent.

From Allen Keep
Sunday, 8 November 2009

Well done to Mark and whoever else went over to oppose the EDL. The EDL is a front for the BNP. While Nazi Nick courts electoral respectability and complains about question time being a "lynch mob" (this coming from a ku klux klan admirer!!) their underlying strategy of an open intimidating and violent presence on the streets is taking shape. It is extremely worrying that they have been able to mobilise very significant numbers in Luton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester and now Leeds in recent weeks. Those who bleat about fascist's freedom to express their views and that to physically confront and oppose oppose them is wrong will not be spared the jackboot if these people go unchallenged. They also serve to do precisely nothing to defend the minorites in this country that the BNP/EDL would be happy to liquidate. Learn from history - never again!

From Jason Elliott
Tuesday, 17 November 2009

I thought you may be interested in a threatening comment I got on my blog the other day refering to a post I made before the Euro elections.

"Anonymous has left a new comment on your post 'Stop the BNP winning a Euro seat':

What a prick you are, we won our seat and prevented your decoy parties from getting in the way this time. Do yourselves a favour and don't send your leafletters into Todmorden as the Black & Tan BPP will run your sorry asses out!

A BPP Supporter"