Discussion Forum
Christmas lights

From Anne H
Thursday, 26 November 2009

First the positive - the lantern parade looked amazing - well done to the Handmade parade team.

But I'm sorry, I just hate the cold blue lights in the winter. Market Street in particular looked much more cheery last year and much more traditional. Those pearly white lights strung across the shops looked great. OK, they were wearing out, but couldn't they have been replaced with something similar? Perhaps the blue ones are more energy efficient? but I'd rather have the old ones and just switch them on for half the time!

The Square looked great in the Sainsbury's ad - not a blue light in sight. Couldn't the town have spent the money they got from the ad to make it look like that every Christmas?

I suppose some people think that the bright coloured lights strung across the street in Sowerby Bridge look a bit dated and maybe a bit tacky, but called me old fashioned - I like them!

From Mary Duerden
Friday, 27 November 2009

Has anybody seen Mytholmroyd Christmas lights? What a disgrace... half of them do not work, and as for the christmas tree, please can you take it away unless you can put the lights on it properly. It looks an absolute shambles, it's apalling!!!

On the other hand, its only Mytholmroyd, it doesnt matter does it? Why has Hebden Bridge got new lights and Mytholmroyd has been forgotten again?

From Ian C
Saturday, 28 November 2009

I agree with Anne. Well done hand-made parade. I caught the end of the parade and it was superb.

I also agree with Anne regarding the cold blue lights in Hebden. Give me the bright colourful lights of Todmorden or Sowerby any day. Surely Christmas lights are about being bright and cheerful. The blue-white lights just leave me cold

From Barry G
Sunday, 29 November 2009

We know it’s subjective but we think there is nothing wrong with Slough’s shopping centre Christmas lights. They are in character with the town, the cold blue an effective contrast to the modern concrete buildings. What we said to each other when we walked around Thursday night was – what are they doing in Hebden?

We also said to each other – bet this is on the Hebweb, well done Anne.

Market Street shops, the tree and the marina look lovely, it is a shame the theme doesn’t run through.

From Anne H
Sunday, 29 November 2009

Having discovered why all new Christmas lights seem to be blue or 'whiter than white' - it's not just Hebden Bridge - I realise they probably didnt have much option than to go for this type. They are of course LED lights and therefore low energy - it is probably either impossible or very expensive to buy new or replacement lights that are low energy but not LED.

I also noticed that Sowerby Bridge lights have quite a few bulbs missing and they can't be replaced now that the old type of bulb has been phased out. I expect they will have to go blue as well if too many bulbs fail.

But I feel there is a gap in the market here. Surely the technology is there to create some kind of low energy alternative that is still colourful, cheerful and traditional? I had a quick look on the Web and couldn't find anything that didn't involve LED lighting. Any ideas?

From Felicity Potter
Monday, 30 November 2009

But it looks as though LED lights are available in cheerful colours, so why do we have to have depressing blue?

From Ian C
Thursday, 3 December 2009

I'm sure the lights in Todmorden are of the same type as in Hebden, and they are colourful.

From Jan Scott Nelson
Thursday, 3 December 2009

I imagine the reason the lights are only on in the evening is to do with power useage/other environmental reasons.

But, given they probably cost a fair bit, it would be lovely to see them on for a few hours during the day at the weekends, when the town is full of shoppers. It strikes me as a bit sad that they're only on at night when the streets are fairly empty. (Or am I just in the town at the wrong times?? What times are they on?)

The blue/colourful debate is a non-issue if all most of us ever see is the white shapes the lights are mounted on.

From Andy M
Sunday, 6 December 2009

Looks like I'm in a minority here but I find the lights quite tasteful!

From Chris Dellen
Sunday, 6 December 2009

I also quite like the restraint of the cool blue/white lights on Market Street. The masses of brightly coloured lights in Sowerby Bridge, which also reflect off windows and wet surfaces and compete with car and traffic lights, can be confusing, especially if you have visual problems.

From Rev Tony Buglass
Monday, 7 December 2009

Classic. You can please some of the people some of the time...

From Claire D
Wednesday, 9 December 2009

I agree with the majority of folks in Hebden, the blue lights are depressing at best.

Part of Christmas for some, after-all, is being a festival of light during the dark months, white lights please!

From Coun Susan Press
Friday, 11 December 2009

I was one of the councillors who originally backed the new Christmas lights so the buck stops here!

The fact is the old ones were tacky and in ned of replacing. The new lights had to be eco-friendly. They are also expensive.

So we decided, year on year, to spend a reasonable amount rather than splurge - and risk the wrath of the ratepayers.

So, yes, there should be more. There will be, eventually. I take the point about the blue lights and asked this year for some coloured ones too (ie red) but we were told they were not available. I think that needs looking at again.

Mytholmroyd has got new lights, too.

I know we can't please everyone but I think, as a work in progress, the lights are fine. We need more of them and, yes, we need more colours. Will aim for both next year.....

From Andy M
Friday, 11 December 2009

For those who don't like them I recommed wearing some rose-tinted specs - hey presto purple lights! (send sae to.....)

Happy Christmas

From Lou R
Friday, 11 December 2009

How much better the Mytholmroyd Christmas tree is now in its new position by the church, but whoever organised the lighting on it wants shooting.

Surely a little more care could have been given to placing the lights on the tree, rather than just going up and down in verticle lines with the cable!!

From Sutti N
Wednesday, 16 December 2009

I've just been and looked at the square and I think they have made a very good job of the lights. Could anyone come up with an estimate of how much electic these will save each year?

From Andy M
Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Lou - you sould see the lights on the fir tree in Heptonstall......they look like the victim of a drive-by decoration hit!