Discussion Forum
Double your money giving to charities

From Anthony Rae
Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Last week I had quite a lot of fun making several donations to charities knowing that the amount I gave was being automatically doubled due to the generosity of the Reed Foundation (linked to the Reed Employment Agency) via their online initiative called the Big Give. You can access it here.

The principle is that just during that week in December they would match any donation - made online using a credit card - up to £5,000 to the charities on their list. Looking back at the website I see that this raised an extraordinary £7.7 million for charity, but also that they haven't yet exhausted all the funding at their disposal so the offer is still open!

So, in this season of giving, why not take advantage of their generosity? I have some interest in pointing out the opportunity to you, because Hebweb is at the moment publicising the activities of Friends of the Earth out in Copenhagen; our campaign there is one of the selected charities and there's no better way to help FOE carry on with its campaigning for a really tough climate deal than by making a donation; just click on this link! - but there are many other charities to choose between and pick your favourite.

Remember - however small your donation it will be automatically doubled. So £5 (the minimum) becomes £10, and £25 becomes £50; and you could even be really generous! If you're quick you can still grab some of the remaining Reed Foundation money for a favourite cause.

From Gideon Foster
Wednesday, 16 December 2009

On a local note , with the constant queuing traffic through Hebden Bridge and the resulting traffic fumes perhaps Asthma Uk would be worthy recipients of donations !