Ryburne

Small ads

The Steph Booth factor

From Tom Standfield

Tuesday, 4 May 2010

I would normally vote Labour but I cannot vote Steph Booth, after all that has been so widely reported in the press over the past year or so, and on the hebweb. If anyone still has doubts, just Google “steph booth calder valley”.

I really don’t want to see the Tories get in so I feel I’ve been disenfranchised as the Labour Party has not put up a candidate with whom we can have any confidence. I could grit my teeth and just vote Labour anyway, but after all the recent parliamentary scandals, I feel it would be irresponsible to vote for someone who hasn’t convinced us of her ability and integrity.

From John Chapman

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Tom, like many others the past year’s events have really shifted the balance as to who Calder Valley residents should vote for.

If you look at Labour’s record over the past year, we have witnessed lies, deceit, bullying, vote rigging, back stabbing etc.

Unfortunately the public figure of Steph Booth in the media has mirrored the same sleazy side of the Labour party throughout the year and not once has she appeared in public to either apologise or deny the many allegations

Why anyone would vote for her is beyond belief, they would be voting for everything that is wrong in the party today.

From Patricia S

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Steph Booth? Who’s Steph Booth? I’ve received exactly no leaflets, doorstep calls or any correspondence at all from our Labour Party candidate. Like many, after a lifetime of voting Labour, I feel completely disenfranchised here in Calderdale.

From Hazel D

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Who is Steph Booth? Steph Booth is the person who didn’t respond to my email on climate change (Chris McCafferty always replied to everything) but who has just sent me a letter to tell me that if I don’t vote for her then the Tories will get in. It is a shame that she cannot try to win my vote through policies and integrity but only through appealing to my genuine fear of a Tory government. I would definitely have voted Labout if Janet had been standing. Instead, I’ll be voting Lib Dem on Thursday as if enough people who hate the Tories but can’t bring themselves to vote for Steph Booth think the same way that I do then we may just be able to keep Craig Whittaker out.

From Jon Morris

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Just because something is alleged in the press doesn’t mean it is true, particularly the right wing press. If you google “Steph Booth calder valley” you’ll see that the negative stories are from the Mail, the Times, the Telegraph and the Express. Draw your own conclusions.

Craig Whittaker would not be a good thing for Calder Valley, given his record with children’s services in Calderdale, and the Tories would not be a good thing for the country.

We need to put personal and local politics to one side for the moment and vote labour tomorrow. This government has made a lot of mistakes but don’t forget the good things they have done: minimum wage, tax credits, free museum entry, civil partnerships, reduced NHS waiting times, etc., etc.

From Jason Elliott

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

If you’re interested in Steph Booth thoughts on Climate Change, you might like to know that at the Big Green Debate held last May, she was the only candidate who said she was in favour of building another runway at Heathrow. Kate Sweeny, Hilary Myers and Craig Whittaker all said they thought it was unnecessary!

From Christopher Reason

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

I’ve voted in every single General Election since 1974. While my relationship with the Labour Party has been rocky to say the least, when push comes to shove, I’ve always put my cross against them. Indeed - Iraq and Afghanistand wars notwithstanding - had Chris McCafferty or Janet Oosthuysen been standing, I’d have done so again. But not this time.

For me the decisive moment was at the candidates’ debate at the Methodist Church last autumn. When asked about the proposed third runway at Heathrow, Steph Booth was the only one to support it. And her reason? Because that’s what her union thinks. Not what she thinks, but what she’s been told to think.

Add that to the shameful dirty tricks that resulted in Janet O’s deselection and the suspicious pile of postal votes that won Steph Booth the nomination and I find myself deciding to vote for the Liberals for the first time ever. Not that I have any great confidence in their policies or integrity, but because a hung parliament promises the best chance of securing PR. After which I’ll be voting for the radical party that these days I’m most able to identify with: the Greens.

From Ian Whitehead

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

An interesting article from the Guardian in 2008

Brown has had “charisma bypass”

Tony Blair’s stepmother-in-law pours scorn on the prime minister’s perceived lack of personality

Guardian, 23 September 2008

From Alan McDonald

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Chris Reason says “a hung parliament promises the best chance of securing PR. After which I’ll be voting for the radical party that these days I’m most able to identify with: the Greens.”

Good on you, Chris, but no need to wait, folks. I know I’m a tad biased, but I’m amazed we’ve reached this point in the election campaign and neither discussion about control of the banks, nor serious scrutiny of spending cuts and tax increases has taken place.

I feel we Greens have spoken up honestly and forcefully about these things (when we could make our voices heard) including being the only party to stand up and say we will have to increase income tax further for the better-off as well as cutting Trident and id cards.

And that’s apart from all the green reasons for being Green.

When the election’s over we must write a good song about being Green you know :) Meanwhile, all the best folks and whatever you do, vote.

From John Chapman

Thursday, 6 May 2010

Jon,
We don’t have to base our opinions of Steph Booth on what may be alleged in the press, right wing or other.

If you Google "Steph Booth Calder Valley" you’ll find many damning articles based on fact.

You’ll find a Youtube video from one of Steph Booth’s constituents explaining in great detail why he won’t be voting for her.

You’ll find factual evidence taken from the tribunal exposing her as a liar.

You’ll find a poorly maintained website of hers.

You’ll find evidence of poor quality debating skills.

You’ll find little interaction with her constituents.

You’ll find non attendance at key meetings.

It’s difficult to separate personality from policies when there is potential for the Calder Valley constituents to be left with nothing more than a damp squib in parliament.

From Ron Taylor

Saturday, 8 May 2010

Whatever the outcome of the Cameron/Clegg talks in the coming days, it is highly likely an another general election will called in the next few months. (Coalitions, pacts, voting arrangements and so on never last long in British politics).

The people of the Calder Valley should be told by the Constituency Labour party where it stands on the issue of its candidate.

Clearly Steph Booth has been exposed as lacking in integrity and unable to conduct any kind of campaign.

Will it allow her stand again? Or will it do the decent thing and get rid of her as soon as possible, allowing the party to conduct another selection procedure and find a candidate with all that Booth lacks?