Ryburne

Small ads

Auction of the Police Station

From Julie C

Sunday, 7 April 2013

I am shocked and saddened that with no local discussion this Community building is being sold by the Police. Just a few days ago, before hearing of the proposed sale, I was speaking to a local PCSO and suggesting that it would be a great building for the use of young people.

I have written to the Police Commissioner asking that he withdraw the building from Auction on the 18th April, so as to give people the opportunity to explore other uses for the Police Station.

What do other people think?

From Barry Mills

Monday, 8 April 2013

I'm assuming (and hoping!) the original poster means "use by children" , rather than use OF them (which conjures up images of sweatshops that I don't think we need back in the town).

It's a lovely idea, but where should the money come from? Not only would the police have to replace the proceeds of the sale, but the proposed youth centre of whatever would have council tax, operating costs and so on to cover.

Premises come available all the time, I don't think we should get sentimental about them. Successful projects for youngsters, or anyone else, usually start with a good idea, then develop a detailed plan, then raise the funding, and then look for somewhere to put it. When you start with a building and try and find something to do with it, the project becomes artificial, not led by any real need or vision, and is not very likely to succeed imvho.

From Julie C

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

The Localism Act 2011 and Assets of Community Value Regulations 2012 allow community, voluntary groups and parish councils to nominate land and buildings of community value. These regulations then allow an initial 6 weeks moratorium so that groups have time to gather resources to bid for the Asset. The Asset has to be logged with the Regeneration Department of the Local Authority.

I am hoping that an existing group will be interested in nominating the Police Station building, or that through this Forum such a group could be pulled together. There are many facilities in our town for the older members of the Community. However, there is not as much available for the younger folk.

From Bob Deacon

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Surely it has been considered as an option by Hebden Royd and/or Calderdale Councillors? If not they (and you Julie) have a few hours left to persuade them to withdraw /postpone the sale. I will email Janet B and Dave Y now pointing to this forum entry. Perhaps it has been discussed somewhere and idea rejected?

From HB Community Association

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

At the Hebden Bridge Community Association we are also concerned at the speed at which this building is being disposed of to the highest bidder without consultation with the community. And we would agree that it would be helpful if the police were to withdraw the building from the auction to allow reasonable time for the community to consider the future use of a key central and historic building. We are happy to facilitate any meetings which may support such a consultation process with other community groups and interested parties.

From Jim M

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Just wondering how many community buildings a community needs ? Maybe the auction will bring forward a business use that employs young people. Would that be useful?

From Simon Hayles

Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Social housing would seem an obvious choice - near the shops and buses - access ramps already built . . .

There is without doubt a serious need for well-placed social housing. The Police Station would cost a few grand to fettle, but it'd still be much cheaper than building new!

From Cllr Janet Battye

Wednesday, 10 April 2013

While I'm pleased that we've retained a Police Office in Hebden Bridge with the move into the Town Hall, I am amazed at the speed with which the Police seem to have moved to sell of the building without any public consultation about its future use.

In Calderdale Council, I've made sure that local people (through their ward Councillors) are consulted every time that the Council considers disposing of and land or buildings and have encouraged the use of asset transfer and the Localism Act to involve local community groups if that's possible - the Town Hall, Picture House, Youth House, land for allotments etc are all good examples.

I will also take this up with the Police. While I'm not sure about the viability of any community use (I don't think that building is in a good condition and my recall is that it's got small rooms inside) at least we should be offered the chance. Trying to register it as a community asset may be a first step.

From Tom C

Wednesday, 10 April 2013

It would appear that West Yorkshire Plice have withdrawn the Police Station from the auction. Item 021 on this list.

From Jenny B

Thursday, 11 April 2013

Its all very well Cllr Battye entering the debate and suggesting purchase as a community asset, when Calderdale Council are cutting funds to community groups right left and centre. Who do you propose purchases this building? Who will raise the funds to convert it? Who will manage this new community hub?

Their are many empty buildings in Calderdale. Communities cannot buy them all (and often raise funds for the council by doing so, in many cases). Unless it is that like Cameron's big society - Cllr Battye assumes that the unpaid, unsung army of volunteers can do all of this.

Does no one realise that we had a wealth of youth and community groups in the area but our council wouldn't support them so we lost them. The Youth House was a prime example. Do we really need more community owned buildings?

From Julie C

Thursday, 11 April 2013

Well that's good then. Let's go ahead and have a meeting soon to discuss possible options for this building, and see if we can find the financial resources and energy to take it on in some way, or at least have some influence on future use.

From Bob Deacon

Thursday, 11 April 2013

I agree with Juiie that the withdrawal from sale of the Police Station is a positive step which creates an opportunity to see what community use might be made of this building. I know that interventions to delay a sale were made yesterday by Labour Councillors, Liberal Councillors and other non partisan people so there is little point in trying to make local political capital over this.

The Localism Act does potentially change the landscape of how resources might be owned and used by the people of Hebden Bridge. Just because it might initially involve some volunteer time it does not mean that if and when things were sorted that there could not be people employed on a fair wage working for the services that might be housed in such a building. I guess it should fall to the HB Community Association (Town Hall) or HB Partnership or the local town council or ? to convene a meeting of interested parties?

From Cllr Janet Battye

Monday, 15 April 2013

Having managed to get a pause in the sale of the Police station, it's important that we follow this up by considering what use we'd like to make of it in Hebden Bridge and I think that a meeting's being organised for this later this week.

I'm also pressing the Police Commissioner to establish a process similar to that used by Calderdale Council. I've written to him about it and waiting for a reply - which I'll follow up.

Through Calderdale Council we've transferred the use of a number of buildings to community groups - but there does need to be community support and a viable business plan for it to work. It's unfair to say that we've cut funding to the voluntary sector significantly - in the face of less money being available for the public sector, in Calderdale we're doing our best to maintain funding of voluntary and community groups which I know have always been the lifeblood of communities (and I hope always will be)

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

We too are pleased that the numerous representations by individuals, councillors and ourselves have brought about a period of consultation on the Police Station. And further to our offer to facilitate a meeting about the sale and potential uses of the building, we are providing the Waterfront Hall for such a community forum at 7pm on Wednesday 1st May. More details of the format will follow here and in the local press.

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Following the successful representations to halt the sale of the Hebden Bridge Police Station to allow community consultation, the meeting called for Wednesday 1st May, at 7pm in Hebden Bridge Town Hall will take the following format.

It will be chaired by Calder Ward Cllr Janet Battye. Those who have specific proposals for consideration will be given 5-10 minutes to make a brief presentation. Following that there will be general discussion and we would hope to facilitate a community working party to review all proposals with a view to any being considered for further discussion and a possible feasibility study.

If you want put forward a proposal please contact us by Tuesday 30th April to register a slot on the evening. Email the Community Association or drop a note into the Town Hall reception, FAO HBCA Company Secretary.