Ryburne

Small ads

Tour De France

From Kez Armitage

Wednesday, 11 June 2014

I'm planning a JCB rally on Sunday 6th July. There should be an assortment of JCB's parked nose to tail all the way up Keighley Road, from the White Lion to Pecket Well. The main even happens at around 12 noon, when all the parked JCB's make their way onto Cock Hill Moor and down to Oxenhope.

I'm taking a leaf out of the book of the Tour De France organisers. Just as they don't see fit to inform me about their disruption and road closures (apart from casual mentions on the Internet and in the press, which I may or may not see), I don't see why I should let them know about my JCB rally on the same day.

I've been planning my event for nearly 10 years. The bike lot are just Johnny-Come-Lately's, and so take second place. Should a scrawny biker have a confrontation with a burly JCB driver, I know which side I'd put my money on!

Seriously though, I'm amazed that Calderdale Council haven't leafleted all the houses in the area, explaining what will happen on that Sunday. When you look at the crowds at past Tour De France events, you'll get a flavour of what we'll experience. It will be more than busy.

I'm told that, prior to the race itself, there will be publicity vehicles handing out freebies to the waiting masses. Perhaps some of that money spent on those free keyrings. badges, paper hats, cuddly toys etc could be better spent on letting each and every resident know what to expect on the day. As it is, the whole spectacle seems to be relying on a wing and a prayer.

From Tim B

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Embrace the chaos! Could have done, should have done, it'll happen. All be gone by the Monday morning.

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Kez, I love the idea of a JCB rally and only wish it could happen. I assume like you, I was shocked at the extent of the lock-down. I have no interest in the TdF but had nothing against it either - until now. I'd thought three or four hours of road closure would be ample and can't fathom how our beloved MBC could think nine or ten hours would be acceptable. It will directly affect me and a visiting friend (and his luggage and his train connections), so I'm in absolutely no mood to 'embrace the chaos'. It may well be all over by Monday, but so would a Sunday bombing raid. We've been well and truly stitched up, and for what - a short shower of cheap freebies?

From Anne H

Thursday, 12 June 2014

We did all get a letter earlier this year from the Council (in February?) warning us to plan ahead, in terms of both being able to watch the Tour and also the disruptions to roads and businesses. This letter probably came a bit early and we've forgotten it now.

The visitcalderdale.com website is frequently updated with information about road closures and there have been numerous links to it from here and in the press.

The Ward Forums have all had presentations about the preparations and the disruptions that will be caused on the day, as have community newsletters etc.

I believe those who live directly on the route either have had or will soon have another letter addressing specific problems like parking and how to get out in case of an emergency.

The emergency services have been practicing how they would respond to various situations should they arise, and there will be hundreds of volunteers along the route directing people and making sure they are safe. So hopefully it won't be all that chaotic - but certainly busy!
Oh and the freebies are from the race organisers and sponsors - definitely not coming out of our council tax

It's a major international event that's not going to happen here again, so I'm really looking forward to it (more so than a JCB rally!)

From Scott Patient

Friday, 13 June 2014

It's been known for ages that the valley would be hosting "The worlds largest annual Sporting event" and as the previous contributor pointed out letters were sent out to all those living in or around the race route, any confusion over planning or timelines could be easily refreshed by a trip online or to any shop in Hebden or Mytholmroyd so no excuses there.

The socio-economic benefits of the race will be of huge benefit to Calderdale and the whole of Yorkshire with people in their thousands spending lots of money in Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and the surrounding areas.

The legacy of the games as our beautiful neck-of-the-woods is broadcast around the world to the watching millions is impossible to calculate and should hopefully improve tourism to the area no end.

I for one (and my family) love living here and have done since we moved from the city 6 years ago. I can't wait for the rest of the world to see why. It's 9 hours out of all our lives and will be absolutely amazing to behold. Or you could just draw your curtains for 9 hours which would be a shame.

From Dave R

Friday, 13 June 2014

Great boost for the town. We have been snowed in for longer than the road closure.

If you don't want to take part you could go off for the day (early start advised) or stay in your garden.

As an aside, you couldn't possibly have a JCB race up Nutclough anyway - too many parked cars and obstacles . . .

From Catie G

Saturday, 14 June 2014

Completely agree with the last 2 comments. It's not like it's only just been announced in the last couple of weeks. If your not happy with the event just go away for the day.

I personally cannot stand football but I have a button on the television which switches channels or even turns it off which is amazing. We all have choices so pick a choice and stick to it. That may be staying to watch the event, staying and closing your curtains and not watching it or getting out of the valley for the day.

Whatever people decide to do I think it will be great to have 1 day of no cars parked on these roads. It will be fantastic not to have any vehicles other than the  necessary traffic travelling on the route and hopefully it will bring people together for a day that may never happen again in this area.

From Benny M

Sunday, 15 June 2014

The only people to benefit from this farce are the Quango employees from Yorkshire forward justifying their silly pay packets from their non jobs. The likes of the Murdoch empire and major breweries pushing their products through the media frenzie. People who routinely work this valley 52 weeks a year have been pushed aside by corporate giants who simply don't give a toss. The legacy hundreds of extra cyclists riding three abreast and on the footpaths and bringing nothing to the local economy.

From Graham Barker

Sunday, 15 June 2014

First things first. On the day I hope that cash registers ring wildly all over Hebden Bridge, that everyone who wants a good time has one, and that in general the mass obedience and genuflection to the TdF brand will be worth it. I doubt there will be much tourism legacy and of those who think the TdF will give Hebden a higher profile I simply ask: where have you been for the last half-century? But it's a big and unique event, so crack on.

Catie G, despite being a member of the 'get over it' tendency, puts her finger right on the problem I have with it all. She includes 'getting out of the valley for a day' as one of the choices we non-combatants can freely make. That's exactly what I'd like to do - in my car, carrying someone else's luggage. But I can't. And I can't because whoever planned the road closures didn't include people with needs like mine in their thinking. A simple and satisfactory solution would be to make Old Gate two-way for the day. Will it be done? I have no idea. I'm trying to find out but there is no information.

Which brings me on to something else. An urban myth seems to be spreading, to the effect that we're all awash with information about the TdF. We're not. I live not far from Keighley Road but have categorically had no information from Calderdale. My partner lives on the TdF route and has had no information either. Nor have her immediate neighbours.

There have apparently been public meetings. I never knew. I'm now aware that there is information on websites. But when I eventually find it - after considerable clicking around - the detail I need isn't there.

The Town Hall has no information about the TdF. The TIC has only a couple of general brochures with no Hebden-specific road closure information.

On a walk round Hebden I've seen no visible or useful information anywhere about the TdF road closures. No posters, placards, public notices, maps, leaflets, anything.

On the A646, illuminated signs warn drivers of 'delays expected' on TdF day. How about coming right out with it and saying 'roads closed'?

It does seem that in an information age there is pathetically little information about the TdF in Calderdale.

Of course it can be argued that anyone who is really interested can find information. That raises an interesting question about the lengths one should be obliged to go to in search of information about an event in which one has no interest.

With hindsight, the big mistake I made was to assume that the TdF planners would minimise inconvenience to people who had other pressing things to do on that day, and would quite like to use their vehicles to do them. I was clearly miles out on that. (And those who attend daily on the elderly, sick, disabled - how will they manage? Are there any crumbs of information for them or their clients?)

Being messed around for a day isn't the end of the world. Far worse things happen. But that doesn't stop it being extremely annoying, and not a great fulfilment of Calderdale's 'Everyone Different Everyone Matters' boast.

From Julie C

Sunday, 15 June 2014

I queried the parking issue with Jae Campbell, it isn't his remit, but he helpfully answered as follows with what info he has:-

"Parking plans for residents only are being prepared and will be distributed by letter, leaflet through doors and finally under windscreens from next week. I am informed the car parks provided are not big enough for both residents and the number of potential visitors so the aim is to get the information out directly to residents and then finally the weekend before under windscreens to ensure residents get the information. About where they can park on the day.

"I believe it's the possibility that someone will start informing non-residents about the car parking facilities thereby potentially depriving residents of parking that is behind the current restricted flow of information."

I hope that is some help.

By the way, Wadsworth Parish Council has already worked out how to deal with all of this by giving out parking vouchers direct to residents on the route in Pecket, and arranging with a local farmer to provide space in one of his fields. The evening before the event Residents will be able, on displaying their voucher, to get into the special parking place. I think Calderdale could do the same, they know who everybody is from the Council Tax records.

From Colleen H

Sunday, 15 June 2014

Some of us work on Sundays, and the whole TDF is nothing but an inconvenience. We are losing income. Do you think they will compensate us for our loss of earnings? This opinion is shared by more people than you think.

From Paul Clarke

Sunday, 15 June 2014

Like Graham I hope the cash tills are busy on the day but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking Le Bore will be a massive pain in the backside for a town with one road in one road out.

A road that is going to blocked at one end all day on race day.

All sorts of grandiose figures for the economic impact are being bandied around but they all seem to be fingers in the air guesstimates. The real winner are Le Bore's parent company who are getting millions of pounds of free publicity.

Catie advances the 'if you don't like it switch off' argument which is true but sadly I can't flick a switch and open the only road in and out of town. It is happening and I can't do anything about it.

We are stuck with a race that will in our town for a total of five minutes maximum yet the chaos will be extraordinary. It is even more laughable that Todmorden - four miles away from Mr Froome et al - are running a Le Bore campaign.

Like Graham I have plans that weekend that take me out of town on the Saturday and back Sunday. I was going to drive (yeah, I know ...cars are bad) but now I will have to go by train which is not only inconvenient but much more expensive. As Graham points not the biggest issue give the chaos in the world but still annoying.

As an aside I wonder how much Calderdale has spent on Le Bore? I just don't buy the argument that people will see the peloton flying along the edge of our town and think I'd better book a holiday there. They will come here for much more complex reasons.

Jai has rather let the cat out of the bag regarding parking for locals and I attended the ward forum where this was discussed. Sort of.

There was lots of blather about emergency planning but little detail in a very poor presentation.

Given we are stuck with it I hope everything goes well on the day and local businesses cash in as I attempt to make my way home through the chaos.

From Anne H

Sunday, 15 June 2014

I expect there are a few residents of Brasilia and Manaus who are also feeling a bit inconvenienced at the moment. Perhaps the Brazilians should have thought of this and turned down the chance to host the World Cup!

From Alex M

Monday, 16 June 2014

The JCB festival sounds amazing. Is it going to be part of a month-long JCB race across Europe?

Will we have the most cutting-edge, top of the range JCBs being driven by the 200 most accomplished JCB operators in the world?

Will this encourage and inspire the young and old alike into dusting off their old JCBs? Will this sudden uptake in JCB driving cut the public's NHS bill by reducing obesity and encouraging an active lifestyle?

If so, I'm well up for it. If not, I'll stick a yellow plastic bike in the window and support the world's greatest sporting event like everyone else in Yorkshire.

From Allen Keep

Monday, 16 June 2014

Perhaps they should have done just that Anne....I love the world cup and football generally as,of course, do many many Brazilians.

But as they have pointed out, on the streets, their government has paid out more than the entire welfare budget for one of the most populous countries on the planet for an event where a ticket can cost twice the average wage for their working people. There is something highly immoral about that no?

These events are spectacular ( mind you I agree with Paul about the tedium of cycling - just my taste) but let's be clear, it's a traveling junket for capitalism that primarily benefits the already rich and powerful globally.

From Paul Clarke

Monday, 16 June 2014

Driving through Mytholmroyd and up Cragg Vale I had to smile at the yellow Le Bore signs telling people to seek alternative routes from 6.30am on race day?

Where exactly are these alternative routes if you don't have a helicopter or a Tardis?

From Graham Barker

Monday, 16 June 2014

Anne - if you google <brazil world cup riots> you'll quickly discover why many Brazilians feel that Brazil should indeed not be hosting the World Cup.

From N Wilcock

Monday, 16 June 2014

I am one of the poor sods who live at the side of Cragg Road and apart from someone who went placing leaflets under car windscreens on Sun AM (Shame they did not have the common sense to push them through the letterboxes as it was raining and by the time I had peeled this wet piece of paper of my car it was un readable.) I have not been informed of anything and this is the 16th June.

Which is typical of what's happening to local residents who have just been ignored and pushed to one side.

I am told I have to move my car by Saturday PM and if I don't I will be fined and the car will be towed away. If this happens I will be responsible for paying to get it back. I have been told on the grape vine that the Doctors Car Park is been used to put cars on. But I would like to see how they get the 100s of cars that are normally parked on Cragg Road on it. It would certainly be more interesting to watch than 100s of bikers dressed in garish coloured lycra. Obviously the Community Centre car park has been taken over by the Tour as they don't think locals are fit to use it that weekend.

So I am so looking forward to the 7th when I feel like having a To hell with the TDF party.

Finally to all those Councillors who have bent over backwards to the TDF officials and ignored local residents. Don't bother coming knocking on my door grovelling for votes at the next Local Election.

From Dave H

Monday, 16 June 2014

Well said Anne. Or how about the residents of Notting Hill or Leeds, if they objected to the annual colourful carnivals? Or if the locals in Glastonbury complained about the 4-5 days of temporary chaos? Or any number of other short lived, spectacular and out of the ordinary spectacles that enrich our lives?

Come on - it's a few hours, and will never happen again. Get over it.

From Ian M

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Why is it laughable that Todmorden is embracing the tour? Clearly you have not realised that there are two ways into Hebden along the valley bottom. One from Halifax and the other from Todmorden. Many of the thousands of visitors and probably the support crews etc will come off the M62 at Shaw and pass through Todmorden to Hebden. It better links after all! They may even park and stay overnight here. Todmorden is an official mini hub!

Some of these people might actually enjoy walking around Centre Vale Park or using the sports centre and swimming pool. They may even buy their food at one of the reasonably priced supermarkets or have a drink in Wetherspoons.

The valley road doesn't just stop at The Fox and Goose you know. There is life beyond!

From Pedro de Wit

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

The TdF is watched by millions of people. Some are lucky enough to live on the route and able to view this great event for free from the convenience of their own garden or upstairs window. They don't have to get up in the middle of the night and travel for miles or stand at the side of the road for hours and hours. It is like having your own luxury box at the World Cup final!

If you don't appreciate this you could always arrange a house swap, because your house will never again be in such demand.

If you don't know what is happening by now on the 6th of July you probably haven't got much contact with the outside world. Therefore it is a long shot but if you have friends or family see if they are interested in watching the Tour from such a privileged position.

From N Wilcock

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Living and talking to locals and travelling past a lot of the route regularly I tend to find that there is little interest from the majority of locals about this bike ride. You see that to locals this has spiralled out of control since around Xmas and yes I do know what's happening but not because I have been kept up to date by the council or TDF people as to where I put my car, how long does it go on for, how I catch a bus or train so I can get as far away from this bike ride as possible. But because I have had to find out myself. You see locals like me do have lots of contact with the outside world and on the 6th of July that's where I hope to be heading. That's if I can get out.

Some people have said we don't know how lucky we are. Well Since the start of the new year we have had to put up with road closures at the top and bottom of Cragg Road while they have resurfaced it. Constant temporary traffic lights on the route of the bike ride while they lift grates and manhole covers that have sunk and resurfaced worn parts of the road. But only on the route. The worst parts of the roads round here are not on the route so have been ignored. I like to walk down the canal bank from Mytholmroyd to Hebden but since it runs by the side of the road and route parts of that have been closed so they can patch it up.
So yes I am living the dream in Mytholmroyd.

From Jan Bridget

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Here's a funny video about above visiting Yorkshire for the Tour de France.

From Maureen Brian

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Curiously enough, whenever I leave the valley I check timetables, plan routes and find maps of places I'm not familiar with. Been doing it for decades and on the internet it's very, very easy. Calderdale's budget is stretched enough without expecting that sort of nannying from them.

They did send me a letter, received yesterday, about designated parking for my address. You see, I live on the route and won't be able to leave the house after 6 a.m.. There is no alternate exit from the premises. So what am I doing? Planning ahead, that's what - friends already invited and then I'll cook a couple of quiches, wash a salad and we'll have a picnic in the front flower bed.

So why do I appear to be tougher than the average Yorkshireman? Maybe it's growing up in the Isle of Man where this sort of thing happens a couple of dozen times a year, every year. We coped, somehow. They still do over there.

None of this is being done as a personal affront to any of you and to be honest it sounds ridiculous to behave as though that is the purpose.

From Veronica Roberts

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

I think it is so good Yorkshire was chosen for the Tour, and to come through the Valley is an absolute one off. It will be inconvenient for some on the morning, but once the Tour has gone, that's it, once in a lifetime, can't wait. Only hope the weather is kind.

From Andy M

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

When you say you've 'spoken to locals' N Wilcock I'm taking it you don't count yourself as one? All the locals on my street, ie the people who live in the houses, seem to be looking forward to it!

From Molly Sunderland

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Love it Jan. very funny! And personally I will be supporting one of the British events being staged on the day of the TDF. I will be watching the Men's final of the Wimbledon Championships which will last about four hours and should be so much more exciting than a few cyclists travelling through the valley.

Alternatively, if you are not interested in tennis then why not watch another British sporting event which will be equally as exciting and that is the F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone.

However, each to their own sport and whatever - enjoy the day. On another note though, a serious amount of money has been "magicked" from somewhere to finance this event in the Calder Valley. Could some money now be "magicked" to dredge the River Calder to alleviate future flooding which all the true locals keep asking for, only to be told there is no money available! In fact, there is so much sand by County Bridge in Mytholmroyd that, on the 6th July you could bring a picnic and sit on the "beach" there cheering the cyclists on as they pass!

Perhaps also, some money could be made available to open the road over Hathershelf Scout which has been closed for a considerable amount of time now.

I am really pleased that the local businesses should benefit during this particular weekend and good luck to all of them.

Have a good day on the 6th July whatever your interest!! We can't all expect to enjoy the same things.

From Andrew B

Thursday, 19 June 2014

I really wish the tour was in France. In all honesty as previous posters have said; I'm sick of roadworks, I'm sick of being told that I should go elsewhere for the day and I'm certainly sick of being told about the long term benefits for the area- because there won't be any, none that actually help traders in longer term than this summer season.

Perhaps if the roads weren't suitable for cyclists due to potholes/poor surfacing, then they should have already been repaired, as they probably weren't very good for cars either.

I cannot wait for the event to be over and to find out what the true cost of this will be to the Council Tax Payers, as it would appear there may be a little shortfall and that money has to come from somewhere, be it an increase in bills or to cut whatever services we have left.

Never mind though, everyone will have 'enjoyed' 5 minutes watching an overpriced and overrated bicycle ride on a Sunday afternoon or 'embraced' being stuck in their house because they can't think of anything worse than joining tens of thousands of folk all trying to get a good look, or perhaps can't afford to go anywhere else for the day.

From Tim M

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Funny, i've not met anyone who isn't looking forward to the TdF. I certainly am, and I have no interest in cycling. As for the amount of money spent on it - well worth every penny for a TV audience of 3 billion. I think we are already seeing the benefits - I seem to constantly be tripping over cyclists from out of town spending money in our shops and cafes. And it's not just the race, but the cultural festival - all highlighting our special county/region.

It's about promoting the region as a place for business and investment, jobs and prosperity, which has drawn investment from the private sector as well as central government. (Incidentally, Yorkshire Foward was abolished by the Coalition in its early days). With the 'recovery' yet to impact most household's finances, I reckon that's a benefit.

The Tour was always coming to Britain this year - don't forget this was something Yorkshire won, inspite of strong central government support for the Scottish bid.

I reckon a bit of inconvenience with car parking for a few people is worth it - and when was parking in HB ever convenient?

From Ray Cummins

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Ee by gum Jan, ah reet enjoyed that video - them clogs and flat hat were spot on.

And ah'll tell thee fer nowt that pie an peas had me chomping - reet champion.

Them bikers in't lycra don't alf give it some pasty - ah wudn't like t'meet em comin down our ginnel.

All't missing was them daft apeths who's objectin gurnin at camera.

From N Wilcock

Thursday, 19 June 2014

As Andrew B has stated, I too will be interested in finding out how much this will all cost. Then lets find out if it was all worth it.

From Bri D

Thursday, 19 June 2014

I live on the route & I have very little interest in the Tour De France (& even less in JCB's).

It doesn't bother me too much tho, as friends & family are coming round to enjoy it, so I'm kind of looking forward to whole occasion.

As previously stated, the council only informed me about road closures last week with a soggy note placed under my windscreen wiper, followed by a letter explaining alternative parking arrangements.

What has annoyed me though is the rather 'mean' alternative parking arrangements that the council have provided for residents. These arrangements involve us having to remove our vehicles from these designated car parks by 10pm on Sunday July 6th. That means that I won't be able to relax, have a few beers and "enjoy" the whole experience with my friends and family like non-residents. Thanks Calderdale Council.

From Paul D

Tuesday, 24 June 2014

A day of inconvenience is any old day of interminable roadworks - this really is special.

And if I was planning a JCB rally it'd be tight to the kerb, buckets down, Hebden to Keighley, then Tod, then Halifax and up the tour route, but take a right to the Rake for a well earned beer.

From Catie G

Sunday, 6 July 2014

Well what a superb and brilliant day that was.

Just to say how amazing the TDF was and the crowds and atmosphere was wonderful. The weather played its part but so did all the folk who turned out to welcome the riders and we showed all the world that Yorkshire folk are so friendly and welcoming.

Hope that today is the start of some financial benefit for all of Yorkshire with cyclists and other visitors coming to see this amazing county. Yes I know not many people especially car drivers like cyclists clogging up the roads riding 3 or 4 abreast but I dont think it will be a bad thing may just slow us car drivers down a bit and make us appreciate what's on our door step and may even make me think about getting on a bike instead of behind the wheel of a car.

From Phil M

Monday, 7 July 2014

It was indeed a fantastic weekend all round. Yorkshire looked stunning on the footage and hopefully will have done us a power of good on the Tourism front..

In our town, the streetparty at the Trades on the Saturday was ace and inside the Trades the room was full as people watched Le Tour on the big screen..cracking atmosphere!!

Together with the arts festival as well, it made the entire town seems massively vibrant.

Sunday was absolutely fab, happy crowds wherever you looked and the 'Hub' in Calder Holme keeping everyone enthralled for the duration of the race.

Well done everyone involved..

From Martin S

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

No matter how utterly incredible, exciting and happy the day for the 2.5 million roadside spectators, there was bound to be someone having a bad time.

I was particularly disappointed as I was waiting on the Bridge in 'Royd from 6am, camera in hand to see the JCB drivers being shot at by the gendarmes - Imagine my surprise when the only people that showed up were thousands of pedestrians and cyclists having a great day. Sigh.

Looking forward to this happening every year with the Tour de Yorkshire!

From Kimmie D

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Can I just add a special mention for Mytholmroyd /Cragg Vale. The atmosphere along Burnley Road, New Road and Cragg Road on Sunday was electric. The streets were buzzing with anticipation, live music, food, drink and the sheer effort local businesses, enterprises and houses had gone to to decorate the town were all fantastic. People came from far and wide - the streets milling with people coming and going, all in cheery mood, supported by our fantastic Calder Valley Mountain Rescue volunteers and the local constabulary (who were also in fine smiley form).

I think we did le Tour, ourselves and Yorkshire proud this weekend!

From Ron Taylor

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

I admit it, I was wrong. My misgivings were misplaced, my lack of enthusiasm churlish, my cynicism now something of an embarrassment. Sunday was a great day in Hebden Bridge - perhaps the best since Bernard Ingham was given the bum's rush by the Hebden Bridge Times.

The crowds were enthusiastic and friendly, the arrangements impeccable. Great atmosphere, great weather too. I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I hope the Tour comes again.

But, above all, what made the day so delightful was the absence of traffic. No convoys of cars searching for parking spots, no concerns about being unable to park anywhere near our homes should we venture out for the day, an absence of resentful feelings towards those who want to market/promote the place beyond its ability to cope. And kids could play or use their bikes on the streets without fear of being run over.

For those of us who live in or close to the centre Sunday was a day of relief from the usual weekend siege. We enjoyed our freedom. Let's have more.

From Jon Morris

Sunday, 13 July 2014

I couldn't agree more, Ron. We were thinking the same thing while watching the race from up Keighley Road. It was lovely seeing pedestrians, cyclists and families reclaiming the street and having an excellent time.

Wouldn't it be great if we could find an excuse to close the roads for a day every year?

From Andy M

Sunday, 13 July 2014

One thing that crossed my mind when enjoying the apres-tour ambience of car-free roads and lots of happy people wandering about was: why not close them on a regular basis? We would all adjust and enjoy the ensuing space and freedom!

From Mick Piggott

Sunday, 13 July 2014

In reply to Ron Taylor's suggestion of closing the roads to motorised traffic for a day a year - yes, it would be brilliant! But is one day per year enough ...? We could have a 'people's street festival' for say, three or four days.

I lived for a few years in Bridgetown, a samll country town (half the population of Hebden Bridge) in Western Australia. Bridgetown has a Blues Festival every year, when the main roads through town are closed for a long weekend, with street markets, music and other entertainments; the shops all do well too.

Is there any reason why Hebden shouldn't have a summer street festival? (Over to the grumpies who would be horrified ...)

From Ian M

Sunday, 13 July 2014

There's a very simple reason why the roads in Hebden can't be closed off for a few days every year. That reason is access for the people who live in Todmorden, Burnley, Rochdale etc. Grumpy doesn't have anything to do with it, practicality does

From Andy M

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Like I said Ian: we coped with it perfectly well on one day - it's not a big difference to cope with it on a few more. Emergency vehicles only

From Graham Barker

Monday, 14 July 2014

It should be possible to have enough roads in the centre of town closed for part of the day (think of businesses) to make a difference, yet enable access to, from and through Hebden Bridge for those who need it. Keep at least the A646 and Keighley Road open and everyone stands a chance of being happy. I get more than uneasy at the idea that we should all be penned in (again) whether we like it or not.

From Anne H

Monday, 14 July 2014

I think a major international sporting event, with 2.5 million spectators is probably a large enough event to merit rearranging traffic (and public transport) in the whole of the North of England for a day - a local event in Hebden Bridge is not.

From Veronica H

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Our whole family thoroughly enjoyed our visit to see the Tour. Your website was very helpful when we were planning our trip, everything was so well organised. But the thing that stood out most of all was the friendly and welcoming atmosphere, thank you.

From Benny M

Wednesday, 16 July 2014

O.K. It's been and gone the number of local traders who made a profit is dubious those who over ordered on produce is open to question many to many tried to grab a quick buck out of shear greed is disturbing. Sandwiches being sold off at 25p to clear the stock from non local traders was disgusting. Many of us with local business where forced to close on the day because of lack of vehicle access.

From Myra James

Wednesday, 16 July 2014

I've put forward at both the Town Partnership and Ward Forum meetings the idea expressed here and elsewhere that we should have other traffic-free occasions in an effort to replicate the joy of Tour de France day.

I wouldn't envisage so long a closure though, so it would be less disruptive than 6th July. Perhaps bus services could continue, so people could travel by bus instead of car. Thinking aloud here. Should those of us interested in pursuing this idea get together, either physically or electronically?

From Andy M

Thursday, 17 July 2014

I can just about see how some events might reduce profits for some businesses on the day but overall? The net effect of tens of thousands of extra visitors and the return visits this generates can only be beneficial for businesses. 70% of the the stalls in the park were local on the day and if a few people want to improvise and make a few quid how is that greed? Sounds like market forces to me!

I seem to remember local traders saying that pedestrianising St Georges Square would result in falling trade. Well that didn't happen did it?