Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Create a Progressive Alliance to Defeat the Tories

From Bob Deacon

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

This has to be a General Election fought like no other. If we fight it the old way, the Tories will win a massive victory – not just for themselves and the interests they represent, but for the hardest of Brexits. 

We have to fight differently. We have to fight together. We have to fight the Tories and not each other. And we have to make it happen from the grassroots up.

Labour, Greens, Liberal Democrats, the SNP, Plaid, the Women’s Equality Party – people of all progressive parties and none must come together to win. Only a Progressive Alliance can stop the Tories and co-create the new politics. 

Next week, with the help of a range of people from across the spectrum of progressive politics, Compass will launch the Progressive Alliance. We have already identified all the seats in which the Tories can be defeated if we work together. 

If you’d like to get active locally to build a PA, please get in touch with Frances

In my view this is the general election where we have to do it differently.

From Alex F

Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Convince me this isn't a new-New-Labour re-branding exercise. 

From Bob Deacon

Thursday, 20 April 2017

No; not a rebranding. It is simply a strategy of systematic tactical voting. The issue we are faced with is acceptance of a hard Brexit under a revamped May or a coalition of the LP, Lib-dems greens, SNP negotiating a more acceptable softer brexit. 

In some constituencies it means Labour should be supported by other progressive parties and in other constituencies it means labour voting for the lib dems.

If this could be agreed in those constituencies there is a chance that May could be stopped in her tracks. If not, she will win. 

In Calderdale had the Lib Dem and Green votes gone to Labour last time, the Labour Party would have won. I know that is a hard call for Jenny Sheppard and the Lib Dems but going on in the old way means a hard Brexit. I have no brief for any party. I see the Compass analysis convincing.  

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 20 April 2017

Tactical voting cuts both ways. There may be many Tory-averse Leave voters prepared to switch to the Tories as an extraordinary measure because they don’t trust any other party on Brexit. The more tactical voting there is, the more this GE will just be a rerun of last June. For those so keen on a second referendum, here it comes.