Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Rail Fares

From Darius Battiwalla

Friday, 19 May 2017

80 percent rail fare increase?

Today I travelled as usual return from Mytholmroyd to Manchester.  I paid £6.50 by paying a couple of days in advance for Advance Singles.  

As from the timetable change on Monday Advance Singles to Manchester seem to have been abolished for all journeys from Hebden or Mytholmroyd regardless of how far in advance you book, so the same journey on the same trains next week will cost £11.70.  

Does anyone know if this was announced or perhaps even just a software glitch? I've emailed Northern Rail but no reply so far.

From Christine Pogue

Thursday, 25 May 2017

You could buy a return ticket on the train for the journey between Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge.

Then buy the advanced ticket as well. 

You are allowed to do this and you do not have to get off at Hebden Bridge. 

Hope this helps. 

From Paul Rigg

Monday, 5 June 2017

Having checked there are no advance fares any more from Hebden Bridge or Mytholmroyd to Manchester.

If you wish to check which fares are available for a journey you can check at brfares.com, which more or less replicates the manuals that the staff have access to.   You need to bear in mind that advance are subject to limited quotas.

The cheapest option from Hebden Bridge at the moment is a duo at £14.70 for two off peak; for one person it's £9.80 off peak.  From Mytholmroyd it's an extra 10p for both.  

The railcard discounts are available.

I can't imagine that there would be much take up of advance tickets for such a short journey. Perhaps that's why they have been withdrawn.

From Mark H

Monday, 5 June 2017

Also there's problems with advance tickets on trains with no facility for seat reservations, I shouldn't wonder.

Here's looking forward to taking the rail network, services and assets back into public ownership soon!

From Darius Battiwalla

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

I don't think there was any problem with administering the system, as it always seemed to work perfectly well.  And I've since met a few people that used it - why wouldn't you, since by booking only one day in advance you could save nearly 50 percent?  

I think it's just a concealed fare increase.  I've since found out that you can still get the advance ones from Sowerby Bridge or further away, though availability seems to be more restricted.