Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Shoulder of Mutton disco

From Paul Murray

Sunday, 13 August 2017

I really love our town, the atmosphere, the vibe etc.  And I'm not really an old grump,  but am I the only one that thinks the volume of the disco in front of the Shoulder of Mutton just spoils everything!  It is so loud!  

I live at the far end of Valley Road and could hear it in my yard, friends live near Stubbing School and could hear it. I sat with my wife outside the Cafe Cali,  and we had to speak up to hear ourselves.   The disco also seemed to have driven any chance of street musicians or buskers away for the weekend.  If it is just me,  then I'll say no more,  I must be getting old!  

From George Murphy

Monday, 14 August 2017

I object to people inflicting their loud, amplified music on others in shared spaces, except on special occasions. Hebden will always have lots of 'special occasions', but most days courtesy should allow us freedom to enjoy or cut out from loud noise. This musical noise pollution is spreading and is inescapable in many city and town centres and squares. The first contributor obviously feels uncomfortable about expressing his feelings. It's not surprising, because people look aghast if you challenge them. I object to having to object!

PS I often enjoy busking of the non amplified kind.

From Dave R

Tuesday, 15 August 2017

I agree, that despite it being Happy Valley Pride weekend, the Shoulder seemed to take the opportunity to hold an outdoor and very very loud disco.

I posted several weeks ago, (see The Hebden Bridge Beer Garden) about the Shoulder of Mutton 'taking over the square' with weekends and evenings being much worse. Very often the public benches are occupied by drinkers, leaving passers-by with nowhere to sit.

The outside seating area of the pub seems to spread across the square and precinct, with chairs being fetched from the pubs dining area to use outdoors. At least one stage over the weekend saw the chairs almost in front of the Ltd boutique. It has become a tricky process to walk from the Square to the precinct, maneuvering around chairs, groups of drinkers and dogs.

I quite like the pub and see its presence as an asset to the town but for goodness sake, please stop monopolising space with your customers and the associated noise levels. 

From P Fincham

Thursday, 17 August 2017

Many musicians and DJs are partially deaf themselves from standing next to loud speakers that are set too loud. Sound systems end up being put up louder and louder. It just exacerbates the problem for everyone. It is a health & safety issue, not least for children who are exposed to it. Presumably there are guidelines that can be followed for indoor outdoor venues?

From Zilla Brown

Friday, 18 August 2017

The noise pollution problem spreads further than just the town centre and is increasing.

Living myself in Mytholmroyd, I have friends who live up and down the valley on the hillsides around  and who are frequently disturbed by the volume of the music coming from the regular events and festivals put on in Hebden Bridge.

A particularly bad one was the last Sunday of the recent Arts festival (which seems to have been much enjoyed by those attending) However no one ever seems to consider that sound carries well up the hillsides and also on the wind, sometimes for a couple of miles.

Louder is not better.

Another frequent and perennial noise problem is created by many ambulances / police cars and their sirens, which can be heard as they travel up and down through the valley. The noise starts quite a while before they hit the traffic lights. I can only think that Hebden residents must be partially shielded by other buildings in the valley bottom and town centre. Otherwise, I'm surprised people can get their children to off sleep (loud music coming from the Trades Club being another culprit).

When you think that at one time it was possible to shout across the valley (and that  people cheering at midnight in Hebden Bridge on New Years Eve can be heard in Mytholmroyd (a pleasant sound) it will give some idea of how easily noise transmits in this area.

From Andy M

Saturday, 19 August 2017

Up here in Heptonstall we're kept awake at night by people shouting cross the valley ! ;-) 

From David H

Tuesday, 22 August 2017

I see in the "What's on" page that there is another outdoor disco planned by the Shoulder of Mutton for Bank Holiday Sunday. I'm sure it will delight a few but I personally object to being forced to listen to other people's music. Especially with the volume turned up.