Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Progress with the response to flooding

From Anthony Rae

Tuesday, 30 January 2018

On Wednesday 14th February the Hebden Bridge Partnership (of which I’m secretary) will be holding a public meeting at 7pm in the Waterfront Hall on the important topic of ‘progress with the response to flooding’. The Environment Agency will make a presentation about progress with the main Hebden Bridge flood alleviation scheme they are developing; with the Yorkshire Water trial that began before Christmas to lower reservoir volumes and so create additional storage capacity above the town; and with the overall EA/Calderdale flood  action plan. There’ll be presentations as well by Slow the Flow and Calder Future about their programmes to deploy ‘natural flood management’ methods using volunteers.

I think we probably all agree that nothing can be more important than understanding what progress has been made in the two years since the December 2015 floods with providing more permanent protection for the town, and how long there is still to wait until all these measures are in place - so this is an opportunity to check that out.

Everyone is welcome - and there’ll be an opportunity to ask questions - but I’m also wondering whether contributors to Hebweb’s discussion forum have issues with the response to flooding that they’re concerned about, particular locations affected by flooding they’re interested in, or questions they’d like answered. If so please do identify them in this thread (or you can send them through to info@hbpartnership.org.uk).