Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Floods

From Lorna Page

Monday, 10 February 2020

I was dismayed by the extent of the floods and the sheer volume of water that cascaded down the streets yet again. So much for the flood defences put in place by those in power the last time it flooded. I can only hope that those affected can get their homes and businesses back again a lot quicker than previously. 

I am inspired by the unity shown by all at Hebden Bridge as they all rally round to help one another. It is a lesson to us all. 

From George Murphy

Monday, 10 February 2020

So sorry to hear that Burnley Road school, which suffered so badly after the 2015 flood, is shut once more. The school will be looking for an alternative home and an announcement will be made next week.

From James Lee

Monday, 10 February 2020

About time the Environment Agency did an about turn and disappeared in disgrace, not fit for purpose organisation, same applies to the council. Millions wasted and still it happens. Time us residents who have local knowledge of the area took control of the situation. 

From Adrian Crowther

Tuesday, 11 February 2020

Lorna hit the nail on the head with "sheer volume of water". You could spend billions and still defences would be deluged when that amount fall. I live at Dodd Naze and it was staggering to see the amount coming off the bridleways and on Wadsworth Lane and down into town.

James - genuine question - what would you solution be seeing as you know the area?

From Maggie Woods

Tuesday, 11 February 2020

Just to say a massive thank you to our fantastic flood wardens who, I know, were out and about from 5.30 on Sunday morning, working hard to keep the town safe, and also to congratulate the town's traders for their resilience and determination to get their premises open as soon as possible.

From Janet Moore

Wednesday, 12 February 2020

I often see Andrew Entwistle, the flood warden for Hebden Bridge out and about with his faithful dog Bella, always at his side.  All year round he checks the area, monitoring river levels and checking for potential problems.  He offers advice and issues severe weather warnings.  Of course, when tragedy strikes in the case of a flood, he is out day and night, working harder than many half his age could manage!  What a hero!  I stand in awe of such conscientious dedication.  Thank you Andrew.

From James Lee

Adrian, get diggers in the rivers and dredge them.

I have been saying it for over a decade. In times gone by it was the law that landowners that had water courses running through their land must keep them free of debris and remove rocks.

Dig holding lakes, as an example on the old football pitches at Brearley or Mytholm, anywhere along the valley where there is reasonable wasteland.

Make compulsory land purchases on the hills and dig holding lakes. So many options. 

From William Getty

Following this last few days very serious flooding in the local area I was almost amused (if it wasnt so sad for the victims) to read a Guardian Newspaper report about the solution to the flooding problems being to 'plant more trees'.

"Mytholmroyd community members say slow progress left properties unprotected"

The National Trust who in recent years have been randomly tearing down masses of very old mature trees in the Craggs will no doubt tell you that they are planting hundreds of new trees in there. How on earth can they have the cheek to say that a few skinny pathetic little saplings are able to replace hundreds of massive trees that are over a metre wide and have roots that go down over a hundred years. 

I hope as the people who enjoy the heat from burning the logs that these vandals are producing on a commercial basis (and I have dated photographic evidence of the huge stockpiles of logs being built up, and then mysteriously disappearing, only to be replaced by even more) pass a thought for all the poor sods whose homes have, yet again, been decimated by the flood waters. 

Shame on you, National Distrust you are a disgrace!

p.s.  I am also wondering when the piles of smaller branches placed against many of the trees by the Trust people making 'dens' in the woods for people to play in, will lead to a major forest fire, in the warm dry weather if we ever get any?

From Susan Quick

Another massive thank you - to the wonderful team of volunteers who arrived minutes after I'd phoned the Town Hall pleading for help.

Spent the morning making my house spotless and dumping piles of destroyed  furniture on the pavement.  I only hope the Council will collect as soon as they can.  

I started clearing my basement at 7 a.m.  but it was staggering to see the extent of the filthy water that invaded my home. Thank you again for such wonderful help!!!!

From Andrew Mackintosh

Re: The National Trust clearance/replanting, this is completely necessary for a healthy woodland system and long overdue. There was virtually no understory under the beech stand that has been thinned and once they go you get vulnerable slopes. Much better for water retention to have a healthy woodland ecosystem. 

From Nitch T

Friday, 14 February 2020

I was away in India when our lovely town flooded yet again but have been genuinely awed by the community response, from my neighbours taking care of my home, cleaning the silt from the canal which the cats brought in, friends cleaning people's homes and businesses, (including the chap who helped with my cellar) to the knowledgeable and genial Andrew Entwistle and his amazing flood wardens.

When it counted people stepped up and continue to do so. Wouldn't live anywhere else, water or no water. Regardless of what those in power do or not do, or some landowners on the tops who do not seem to think about those in the valley, the valley takes care of its own and I thank you all kindly.

From Alan Truman

Monday, 17 February 2020

As a council tax paying resident i am extremely impressed with Calderdale Council. 

Local councils get a load of stick don't they? 

I really must say though the way they have responded to last weeks flooding, organised the clean up, unblocked drains, helped people with forms, funding and volunteers whilst co-ordinating these efforts via the flood hub has been truly remarkable. The work of local councillors too - being present, helping with the clean up effort and providing clear communication and informative media appearances too. If theres a councillor of the year awards I can think of a few potential nominees!

The village, only a week later looks like it never happened, tidy, mostly clean with all the waste collected. They even brought in the army!

My daughter, who is married to a local fire chief, commented that the force were very complementary of how well the communications were handled and how committed and efficient the council workforce were.

Im sure we'll have some smart Alec comments, however I think we all should be very pleased with the local response to this incident. 

From Andy G

Monday, 17 February 2020

There has been a rumour circulating in town this week - and I stress that it may be just a rumour - that certain unscrupulous individuals have been going from house to house in the area knocking on doors and asking for money for flood relief. I think most of us realise that no reputable accredited flood relief agency or charity would raise funds in this way, but if anyone is approached by such confidence tricksters, firstly ask for identification - which they probably won't have, then get a good description of the person or persons involved, remember in which direction they headed and then call the Police.

From George Murphy

Friday, 21 February 2020

I saw a claim recently that Skipton's flood alleviation scheme is more efficient than the one's in other areas. As well as using natural slow the flow measures - leaky dams and tree planting - and building higher walls around rivers, Skipton was awarded a grant to build two dams on hillside water courses, strategically placed below moorland.

A professor argued that natural flood prevention will not be sufficient to protect places like Calder Valley against the anticipated 30 per cent increase in precipitation caused by global warming. This work was completed between 2015 and 2017 and the total capacity of the dams was, I think, equivalent to 168 swimming pools. Apologies for my vague recall of detail from someone else's newspaper! 

Have any readers seen a detailed evaluation of the Skipton Dams - or collection pools - and whether they should be used elsewhere?

From David Thompson

Friday, 21 February 2020

Read this article to see how concerned your MP has been about the plight of his constituents!

It's a great shame that the election happened before the latest disaster. You will note that Prime Minister Johnson hasn't been around: no need he got what he wanted in December.

From George Murphy

Wednesday, 11 March 2020

Interesting film on HebWeb from Slow the Flow (HebWeb News, 5 March) showing the diversion of flood water away from terrace housing at Oldroyd. I understand that the landowner financed some small scale work to create a flood pool? There must be other instances around the valley where this local knowledge and finance can help residents. At the moment, water pours across Crow Nest Bridge at Mayroyd and joins flood water sweeping through the stone masons' yard. A small outlay by the Environment Agency and a cooperative landowner could help to defend houses in future deluges. 

From Lorraine S

Tuesday, 17 March 2020

Could it be possible to use some of the old mill ponds - such as Foster Mill - as collection pools?

From Mark Astbury

Wednesday, 18 March 2020

After the Boxing day floods my suggestion mill ponds like the one in Nutclough Woods be used by dredging of the washdown that has built up over the years was rejected. The view was if you couldn't increase the volume of the pond it was of no help. My view was that in times of high rainfall streams off the moors running into big bodies of water would have the momentum taken out of them and slow the flow into the bigger rivers in the valley.