Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Road closures along Keighley Road (A6033)

From Ben Plumpton

Saturday, 6 June 2020

We live in Pecket Well and my partner works in Haworth. We gather from Facebook that the Keighley Road is going to be completely closed from 6th July to mid November, from 7 am every Monday morning to 6 pm every Friday evening. It looks like the closure will be both above and below Pecket Well, so that means there will be no route to Haworth during the week. We're not sure whether we will be able to get to Ackroyd Lane so we can go to Hebden via Old Town and Sandy Lane.  

If anyone knows more we'd be grateful - we've written to Calderdale Council but nothing back yet. As residents of Pecket Well we think we should be told what's going on, and some provision made for local people to get out of Pecket Well in both directions.

From Sue S

Monday, 8 June 2020

Someone posted on Facebook, a response from council.

Keighley Road is open from Hebden Bridge to at least the lay by where buses turn around.

Please see further details of the closure as set out by Bona Matturi, Corporate Lead: Design & Asset Management for your information:
A6033 Roadworks.

I confirm the works are scheduled to commence on the 6th July 2020.

The stretch of A6033/Keighley Road we are planning to improve is classed as one of the ten dangerous roads by the Department for Transport.

The Planned Works

The planned carriageway safety improvement works involves:-

• Provision/ renewal of high friction (anti-skid) surfacing on bends between Hebden Bridge and Pecket Well;
  • Carriageway widening on bends to provide additional run-off areas;
  • Carriageway resurfacing and reconstruction between Peckett Well and the Bradford boundary;
  • Reduced speed limits from Pecket Well and across into Bradford district;
  • High visibility textured edge of carriageway lining, improved moorland post and carriageway reflectors;
  • Limited lengths of vehicle restraint barrier;
  • Improvements to existing drainag e
  • Method of working

Full discussions have taken place with wider stakeholders including, Bus Companies, the contractor and Bradford Council. It has been agreed that the best way to carry out the planned works is to adopt a full road closure which is necessary to comply with Health and Safety regulations and safe working clearances required. The limited width of the carriageway does not make it possible to have through traffic even under a one way traffic light system and maintain safe working clearances.

The works are scheduled to commence on the 6th July 2020 and will run for 20-weeks. There will be a full road closure in place, preventing through traffic from Monday 7am to Fridays 6pm.

We will endeavour to complete it as soon as possible if circumstances permit. Should traffic ignore road closed signs they will be able to turn around at the bus terminus on the Calderdale side and the layby near to the mast at the boundary on the Bradford side. The extent to which traffic will be allowed will be indicated by appropriate signing with road closure barriers positioned to prevent traffic compromising the live working area.

The planned start date of the works is the 6th July, the first phase of the sectional closures, from Bedlam Bends working towards the Bradford boundary.

Disruption to transport and travel

We have received several enquiries about the planned works, in particular concerns around the road closure, its effect and travel disruption that it will cause when the closure/s is implemented. I confirm, together with our stakeholders that we have agreed diversion signing for the planned works.

I confirm the complete proposal with drawings is on display on the council's website, you can access from this link. It is our intention to continue after commencement on site to update on progress. Also, we intend to do a letter drop to the one property that is directly affected by the works.

Kind regards
Highways Information

The Council has been successful in securing finance from the government's 'Safer Roads Fund' for improvements to the A6033 Todmorden - Rochdale boundary and Hebden Bridge - Bradford boundary.

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 8 June 2020

Thanks Sue. I'm still not clear exactly where the road closures will be. The email you kindly quoted says "Keighley Road is open from Hebden Bridge to at least the lay by where buses turn around" and then "it has been agreed that the best way to carry out the planned works is to adopt a full road closure" which seems a tad contradictory.  The link to the Calderdale website has lots of maps showing what they are doing, fine, but it doesn't specify where the road closure or closures will be. It's infuriating that they don't seem to understand this is absolutely critical for residents - will we in Pecket Well be able to get to Oxenhope and Haworth, and will we be able to access Ackroyd Lane so as to get to Hebden?

From Amy R

Wednesday, 10 June 2020

I was made aware of this closure by a friend. There is only one sign I could find - in the bus stop on Keighley Rd. The sign is only visible from one side and not visible at all when there is a bus there. 

Surely this road was closed -though for less onerous hours - last year. Did they make it worse?

From Andy M

Monday, 15 June 2020

Presumably the works are between: 'the bus terminus on the Calderdale side and the layby near to the mast at the boundary on the Bradford side',  with  one property 'directly' affected.

From Gil Evans

Monday, 29 June 2020

I am hoping to restart weekly visits to Heptonstall, from Skipton, which involves travelling between 20.00pm & returning approx 23.30pm. I can get no useful information from the technical maps, being an 'off-cumden' but would like to be sure that the access over the moor on the A6033, through Hebden Bridge & up to Heptonstall, will be clear at that time of night. It is too far to drive & find there is a road block, & the alternative routes are excessively long. Any info much appreciated. I can sympathise with the residents!

From Amy R

Tuesday, 30 June 2020

I went over Keighley Rd past Haworth today. The signage has changed to read a six week closure not five months. It says to contact Calderdale Council website for details, but I could not find any there.  

From Graham Barker

Tuesday, 30 June 2020

To answer Gil, it seems you won't be able to make that journey for at least six weeks. To quote from the official Calderdale statement, elsewhere on Hebweb: 

'For the first six weeks [from 6 July] the road will be closed between Hebden Bridge and Oxenhope with local access only between Hebden Bridge and Pecket Well. However, the road will remain open at weekends.'

A route from Skipton to Colne, then across the tops via Widdop Reservoir to Heptonstall, may be your best bet. It's not a bad road, if a little remote at night.

From Adrian Riley

Tuesday, 30 June 2020

In reply to Gil Evans. 
If you find your preferred route is closed; a shorter way to Hepstonstall is via Carleton, Skipton Old Road to Cotton tree; up to Trawden then over the Widdop road with Heptonstall at the far end. No need to bother with Keighley or HB. 

The drawback is returning in the dark you may not wish to negotiate the unlit and narrow Widdop road.

From Ed B

Wednesday, 1 July 2020

During the A6033 closure the B3 bus from Keighley will only run between Keighley and Oxenhope on weekdays. It will continue to run to Hebden Bridge at the weekend when the road is open.

The 595 bus will run to a revised temporary timetable to provide a service along Keighley Road, Hebden Bridge during the closure: Temporary Timetable during A6033 Closure

From David Thompson

Saturday, 4 July 2020

This road is said to one of the "ten most dangerous." Is that in the World or just Hebden Bridge, and who says it is?

It is said to be narrow, with passing places. I have driven this road hundreds of times. I have never had any problem passing other vehicles, and there isn't any passing places, just a few lay-bys.

It looks as though this road has been mistaken for another, and a very costly and inconvenient mistake is about to be made. 

From Andy M

Saturday, 4 July 2020

The A6033 HB - Cock Hill was identified by the Road Safety Organisation as one of the top 50 most dangerous road sections in the country and this analysis was then used by the DfT for the funding/bids  programme  

From Graham Barker

Sunday, 5 July 2020

There's nothing dangerous about the road itself, it’s just that it has long, empty, good visibility stretches that tempt drivers to put their foot down. ‘Improving’ the road will just make it easier to go even faster.

A sprinkling of speed cameras would be a much cheaper and less disruptive way to make the route safer, and better signage at the interesting bunch of bends near Cock Hill summit. I don’t know how satnavs deal with that particular feature of the A6033 but it’s not marked on any map I’ve got.

From David Thompson 

Sunday, 5 July 2020

I have been unable to find a list of dangerous roads which includes this one. To which "road safety organisation" are you referring, Andy?

I agree with Graham, improving the road will encourage more reckless speed. Speed limits and cameras as Graham says would be a better solution. Which consultant suggested this and who is to profit by it? 

Infrastructure projects will keep people in work and help the economy to recover, but there are much more worthwhile projects than this. 

From Gil Evans

Sunday, 5 July 2020

Many thanks for helpful suggestions re alternative routes!

From David Thompson

Monday, 6 July 2020

Sorry Gil!
Take Akroyd Lane and Heights Road to Midgley, then through to Wainstalls, turn left onto Withens Road, you will pass Warley Moor Reservoir (Halifax Sailing Club) and join the A6033 just outside Oxenhope. 

From Andy M

Monday, 6 July 2020

Road Safety Foundation report

From David Thompson

Monday, 6 July 2020

The Road Safety Foundation appears to be a dubious lobbying organisation run by th AA. 

See also:

HebWeb News: Keighley Road Closures and Improvements