Three Peaks challenge to raise cash for Overgate Hospice
Sunday, 11 July 2021
Fifteen hardy hikers from Calrec in Hebden Bridge are hoping to raise £10,000 for Overgate Hospice by completing the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge in under 12 hours.
On Saturday 21st August, Calrec’s team of adventure seekers will attempt the gruelling 24.5-mile circular route, taking on 1585m of ascent across the peaks of Pen-y-ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough.
The team comprises of members of staff from across the organisation, including Product Development, Production, Support, Sales, Marketing and the Senior Management Team.
Sid Stanley, General Manager at Calrec said: “We have raised over £1,000 so far and would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has donated and to our team of hardy hikers who have risen to the challenge and have been fundraising, planning and training hard. Both the challenge and meeting our target is no easy feat, so it’s great to see everyone’s efforts so far.
“Calrec has supported Overgate Hospice for many years and like many charities, the Hospice has really felt the effects of Covid-19 restrictions, which has had a detrimental effect on fundraising. We hope to be able to help by raising some much-needed funds. Every penny really does count so please join us by donating what you can.”
Becki Marren, Business Partnerships Manager at Overgate Hospice said, “We are so delighted Calrec have chosen to support Overgate and take on the incredible Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge! We are so lucky to partner with such a fantastic business within the community, who are here to help their local Hospice raise much needed funds for local people at their most difficult time. I want to say a huge thank you and good luck to the team!”
The closure of 13 charity shops during their busiest time meant Overgate Hospice lost £100,000 of income during the pandemic. Calrec are hoping the money will go towards maintaining some of the following essential facilities and services that Overgate provide:
- £195,000 per month enables the hospice to run an inpatient Unit and care for 12 patients and their families.
- £9,800 per day is required to run all services.
- £550 means the hospice can care for one person per day on their Inpatient Unit.
- £1,000 could pay for two weeks of bereavement and family support, providing both emotional and psychological support, to relatives of patients who are known to the hospice that have recently died, but who are unable to travel into the hospice to receive counselling.
- £1,515 could pay for a new chair for patients on the Inpatient Unit giving as much comfort as possible to patients who are spending their last days in their care.
- £1,600 would pay for a new mattress for the Inpatient Unit. These mattresses provide comfort and support to extremely poorly patients, giving them the dignity they deserve.
Help the team at Calrec and Overgate Hospice reach their target! To make a donation to the team visit:Justgiving.com/fundraising/calrec3peaks