Discussion Forum
Calder Holmes Park amenities

Posted by Lee Comer
Tuesday, 24 April 2007

Does anyone know what's happening to the tennis courts, putting green and bowling green? in the park. Buried in the back sports pages of a recent HBT was a piece about the bowling club members giving up on the park and taking their custom elsewhere. As they used to manage the courts and putting green, this leaves Hebden without any management or care of these facilities which in any case have been badly neglected over the last 2 years or so.

Posted by Elaine P
Friday, 27 April 2007

Obviously there is something going on in the park but I'm not sure if it includes the tennis courts, putting green and bowling green. I was appalled when I through today to see Calderdale Council workers with chainsaws taking down all of the mature shrubs and trees in the border by the tow path. Total destruction. When I asked what they were up to I was told that the path is being changed, lights installed and 'don't worry' it will all be replanted.

I know that many of the shrubs were in poor condition because they had suffered from years of poor maintenance and bad pruning but was it really necessary to massacre everything? The park has looked forlorn for months over the winter and just as things start to come into flower and birds start to nest men with chainsaws have to hack everything down. I hate chainsaws!

With a little forward planning I know that some of the mature planting could have been saved. The end result would have looked so much better and might even have saved some money!! I'm a qualified horticulturist and have worked as a garden designer so I know a bit about what I'm saying.

Why are such things such a big secret? There's been talk of upgrading the park for years but then they have to do it in such a backdoor manner. Obviously, they haven't learnt from the Bridgegate/St George's Square fiasco. Or maybe they have and wanted to put us all on the back foot!

I hope that some money has been included in the budget for litter collection. It's depressing walking through there on Saturday ot Sunday mornings to see empty cans, bottles and general rubbish everywhere. To be fair the litter bins are usually overflowing too.

From Nicola
Monday, 30 April 2007

Is it catching? After the demolition of the wildlife corridor at Mayroyd - a stroll through the park on Saturday left me equally depressed.

It seems that they've decided on an 'Everthing must go' policy and chopped everything in site down to the roots. All the rhodedendrums that were flowering only last week, all the bushes - in fact basically all of it.

Anyone know the reasoning?

From Helen T
Monday, 30 April 2007

In response to Elaine P's post, the changes to the park have not been a big secret. There was a consultation on the changes to the park and both I & my partner have completed the available questionnaire responding to the plans.

I found the link to the consultation document on here in the News section where there is a picture of the plan for the park. The plans were also displayed on the noticeboard outside the council offices in Hebden Bridge. It is also likely that they were in the Hebden Bridge Times, but I couldn't say for certain.

She's right about the bins though, the park was a tip this morning - many people obviously do try to tidy up after themselves, but end up having to put their bags next to the bins because they aren't big enough. Hopefully this will be addressed in the new design for the park.

From Liz Watkins
Monday, 30 April 2007

I might be able to shed some light on the 'goings on' in the park.

Hebden Royd Town Council & Calderdale MBC are currently carrying out 'phase three' of the Parks regeneration. (one & two were the skateboard park & the cycleway)

Plans for the scheme were on display at at Hebden Royd Town Council Offices, local council noticeboards and here at the Canal & Visitor Centre. There was also a questionnaire available from the Council office, libraries and the Canal & Visitor Centre, although the closing date for this was on 16th April.

Sadly we had virtually no interest in the plans or the questionnaire here at the TIC. I have no idea if other council sites received more interest; let's hope so!

I don't know if it's too late but you could try and email any queries/comments to info@hebdenroyd.org.uk

From Charlie
Monday, 30 April 2007

I hope that when any 'improvement' work is underway, it will also involve clearing away the waste from the bottom of the 'new' pathway down from Station Road which, in my opinion, should have been removed when the pathway was completed. It looks like a building site or is it 'Art'?

Posted by Elaine P
Friday, 27 April 2007

How did people find out about the plans and questionnaire? I know that there was a phase 3 and talk of it being started but I've seen nothing in the Hebden News or anywhere else about a consultation or questionnaire. Had I known they existed I would certainly have contributed. If it wasn't well communicated then it's no wonder there was virtually no interest at the Visitor Centre. Since the library has moved to the edge of town I don't use it anymore and tend to go to Todmorden which is more convenient when I'm at work.

See Hebweb News: Calder Holmes "regeneration"