Ryburne

Small ads

Broadband in Hebden Bridge

From From Paul S

Saturday, 1 May 2010

Talk Talk appear to have “unbundled” our exchange and claim to be able to offer up to 24 meg download speeds. I have read both good and (more commonly) bad reviews of Talk Talk, but has anyone in Hebden any experience of their service and the speeds they provide.

From Janice S

Saturday, 1 May 2010

I arrived at Talk Talk via Pipex and Tiscali and seem to one of their satisfied customers. I signed up about 6 months ago for Talk Talk’s free 8 meg broadband service and am fairly happy with what I get - generally just over 7 meg download and a reliable connection. However, a friend of mine who lives 100 yards away and is on Tiscali (same as Talk Talk now) gets nothing like this speed. I think she gets about 2 meg max.

I hadn’t heard about this 24 meg option - no doubt I’ll be getting a sales pitch sometime soon - but I’m tempted to give it a try. I’m just slightly hesitant after my friend’s experience of getting so much less than she was promised.

From Jack B

Monday, 3 May 2010

I generally get just under 7 meg download speed with Talk Talk. Very few technical difficulties so far.

I have had some issues with their Customer Services department however. Only a minor problem really in that they send me paper bills costing £1.25 a month when I requested online billing (a matter of principle for me). Numerous calls to their overseas call centre haven’t sorted the problem, they really seem to struggle with anything slightly off script.

From Janice S

Monday, 3 May 2010

Jack B - I had a similar problem with switching from paper billing. You can change to it online, in the Talk Talk "your account" details. I had a problem with my d.o.b. not being recognised and ended up posting it as a problem in the TT forum. An online customer help person sorted it but it still took a couple of months because they were merging their customer databases.

From Jack B

Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Yes unfortunately I experience a fault with the "your account" section that prevents me from logging in.

So I call Talk Talk and they say I can only register for online billing via the internet, which doesn’t work for me. Just seems to go round in circles!

However I just now call them every few months and threaten to leave, reulting in them adding some credit to my account, although this is getting rather tiresome!

From Dave H

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

I am another Talktalk broadband customer, via Tiscali. I have a decent powerful computer, but when it comes to working online it is incredibly slow. I am interested to know how you can tell what MB your download speed is. Can someone tell me how that is done?
Thanks

From Ben S

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

I’ve been a pretty satisfied customer for a couple of years. I get up to 14 meg for downloads, which is fast enough for me. Customer service has been patchy, but only minor glitches, and the connection has been very reliable.

From Steven D

Friday, 7 May 2010

Dave H, you can check your broadband speed here

You need to run the check at different times of the day to get a reasonable assessment of your speed.

I switched to Talk Talk a couple of months ago after being with BT for five or six years. No problems so far - my download speed right now (11pm on Thursday) is 4.5mb; in the mornings it goes as high as 13mb.

From Fiona W

Monday, 13 September 2010

Thinking of moving from BT to another broadband supplier but wanted to check other people's experience of coverage and performance here, please? I've been recommended PlusNet as the best price for a broadband/telephone package and have been warned by others that TalkTalk doesn't have great coverage/performance here. Any feedback welcome - thanks!

From Hilary C

Monday, 6 December 2010

Looking to move to HB. We both work from home though and are currently in a Virgin cable area with excellent broadband. The Virgin site suggests up to 20mb is available in the HX7 postcode down the phone line - can anyone confirm whether this is accurate please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 9 December 2010

Can anyone explain why there should be this fetish with high broadband speeds? I depend on the internet for work so use it a great deal and am fully aware of its benefits. On the other hand I'm basically happy for it to be there at all and don't feel a need to keep demanding more. Maybe it's an age thing but I do wonder if those who just have to have the fastest, latest, most powerful etc are perhaps not quite cut out for Hebden Bridge.

From Andrew Hall

Thursday, 9 December 2010

I tend to agree with Graham, although, having said that, I can understand the obsession (I think it's that more than a fetish, but I stand to be corrected!), for those who want to use broadband for multimedia activities - particularly things like high definition video streaming. As computers and television entertainment progressively dovetail, I can see the need for the best speeds possible.

From Barry Mills

Saturday, 18 December 2010

It's far from a fetish Graham. Consumer demand for high speed is driven by gaming and multimedia. I've just moved a business in to Hebden from Leeds, and I'm not sure it's going to work out, because the internet connection is so poor.

Creative businesses need high speed internet for moving graphic files around. All business can benefit enormously from it by using things like VOIP and cloud computing.

My problem isn't the top end speed really, it's the inconsistency. Often it slows to a crawl. Sometimes it just stops completely.

From Hilary C

Sunday, 26 December 2010

Thank you Barry, for a helpful and courteous response. May I ask who your provider is please? (A colleague has heard horror stories of Tiscali.)

And for the benefit of those rather more judgmental; we are not 'obsessing' about ultra-fast broadband - we are not game-addicted teenagers. But we need to establish whether the HB connections are reliable and fast enough to allow us both to work from home.

Also, if Virgin are likely to charge us for a 'premium' service it would be helpful to know if one is likely to be able to benefit from it.