Ryburne

Small ads

Linden Mill Proposed development

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Tuesday, 26 April 2011

I want to draw everyone's attention to Planning Proposal 11/00292/CON and urge you to comment online on Calderdale's website or in writing to their Northgate House office, if you're likely to be affected - before the deadline of 13 May.

This is a proposal to convert the glass covered former weaving shed at the back of Linden Mill to a 5 bedroom house, complete with large gym, indoor swimming pool and lift.

(I do wonder quite why all these impressive features are necessary in a private residence - and wonder what other plans may be brewing for Linden Mill - but that of course is useless speculation.)

Access will be from the precipitous Rose Grove side and will require considerable earth moving activity. Adjoining woodland with its protected trees do not apparently form part of the scheme, but my concern is the roots could be damaged.

I am also concerned not just about the access off Rose Grove and how this will operate in reality - but also the impact of construction traffic including heavy earth moving equipment on the surrounding streets of Linden Rd and Linden Place, Sackville Street, Oak Street, Moss Lane and Rose Grove itself.

These are likely to further damage the cobbled streets in the conservation area, cause congestion, noise pollution, and dust; and endanger the lives of local children who play out safely in the streets ( as well as our pets!)

Please take action now!

From Gillie Kerrod

Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Here we go again! Just when we thought David Fletcher had given up on this one! Building an access road across the woodland off Rose Grove will be a scar on the landscape. Plus, one of the main reasons he didn't get planning permission for the 'houses in the trees' was because of the lack of access. This could well be the start of another attempt at a housing development in the woodland.

From Kath Powlesland

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

I would be very pleased to see the former weaving shed brought back into some kind of use, as it's a beautiful glass structure and it would be a great shame if it were ever left to disintegrate. However, I'm struggling to make sense of the access plans as the application states that boundary treatments and vehicle access will be 'as existing', but elsewhere access off Rose Grove is mentioned. I asked the Planning Officer for clarification about the intended access point, and she has emailed back to say she has now asked for a sectional drawing and updated site layout plan in order to clarify exactly what the applicant's intentions are. She expects this to be available next week so I suggest those interested keep an eye out for it!

From Kath Powlesland

Friday, 6 May 2011

The section drawing and plan showing the proposed vehicular access to the weaving shed are now on the planning website - about hawlfway down the documents list, see 'Access Drive (Location Plan)' and 'Access to Existing Mill'. Access would be off Rose Grove but the plan is apparently to retain the sycamore, silver birch and rhododendron, so the driveway would be not much wider than a single car-width - and a tighter angle than a snooker pocket. A bit of a challenge to get into and out of, I would imagine, but maybe that's just a reflection of my own driving skills.

From Joan Taylor

Sunday, 8 May 2011

I have just been looking at the plans for the proposed developement of the Linden Mill weaving shed site and I am wondering why the very top floor needs a kichen when there is one proposed for the floor beneath. Surely this is surplus to needs. It looks very much as if this very top floor would make a very good self contained flat! Or am I too uselessly speculating?

Like others in this discussion I would like to see the weaving shed brought back into use. I have a background in the textile industry and dislike seeing old mills being left to rot, it is allways a relief to me to see them in use, even as dwellings.

The plans for this dwelling do not seem to make sense. Two kichens is not logical! Also the lift does not go up to the top floor! Does this design need more discussion! Just asking?

From Kath Powlesland

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

If anyone is finding the plans difficult to read, or wants to discuss fair and valid grounds for objection, please feel free to drop in at 6 Rose Grove tonight (Tuesday) from 6pm to 7pm.

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Further scrutiny of the plans has revealed that this private dwelling and 'ancillary accommodation' consists of: a gym as well as a fitness suite, nine lavatories, three kitchens, five ensuite bathrooms, two shower rooms, a lift and two further showers.

Deadline for objections is this Friday, 13 May.

From Janet Jones

Thursday, 12 May 2011

Just got my objection sent off, I'm so tired of this, it's great the Mill has use but the pressure of parking and access is tough on the residents already, all summer long and anytime now people look for free parking! The woods are lovely as they are, why won't the Fletchers respect the needs of people who live here and the value of green space, woodlands reclaiming the land post industrial revolution!

From Molly Sunderland

Thursday, 12 May 2011

In reply to the message posted by Janet Jones - I don't know how long you have lived in Hebden Bridge Janet - you may be a local for all I know - but if you did live here in the 1960s you would have known it as a town that was on its last legs. For your information it was at that particular time that David Fletcher and other locals banded together to form the Civic Trust who respected the "needs of the people who live here" and who had lived here from childhood. He had the foresight to help and create the town that we know today. You may not agree with everything that David does but please don't knock the person who helped and strived to bring Hebden Bridge to life again. We all love our woodlands and nobody more so that David Fletcher. In fact, he, along with others, spent a great deal of both voluntary time and effort planting great areas of trees in the valley in the 1960s. These early endeavours are allowing us to enjoy the mature woodland areas that we have today.

From Janet Jones

Friday, 13 May 2011

It is my understanding David lives in Mytholmroyd, not Linden Road or even Hebden Bridge, the owner of Xpert Health, Bridge Lanes! I have lived in Hebden Bridge on and off since childhood. I am sure you are aware of the previous plan for development of this woodland and why the Department of the Environment found against it, my feeling is many of the sames issues apply in this case.

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Saturday, 10 September 2011

It's back!

The new application is 11/00806/CON

We're waiting for new plans as the proposed access has allegedly been changed and we're still waiting for the revised plans to be posted.

Meanwhile, the deadline will remain the same - 16 September - so please keep checking back.

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Friday, 16 September 2011

It appears that the current plans are for a part residnetial, part commercial use which is likely to significantly increase the pressure on parking in nearby streets. The detailed access plans are far from clear depsite requests for further detail.

However, the deadline for objections is 21 September - not as stated on the website, 16 September.

See also

Planning Watch