Ryburne

Small ads

Bike theft at station

From Katy Oddy

Monday, 5 September 2011

Just to let you know that my bike was stolen from Hebden Bridge train station on the evening on Saturday, 3rd September. I often wondered why the 10 cycle lockers and 8 hoops provided at Hebden Bridge train station were under used and now I know why!

Although there are supposedly 2 working security cameras on this area this doesn't deterrent criminals from stealing the bikes and the victim of crime is left to contact National Rail and the British Transport Police to report the crime (if this unfortunately does happen to you please call 0800 40 50 40).

Either way you're left bikeless with no way home from the station . . . so much for trying to save the environment by not using your car.

I would appreciate it if you could feature this on the Hebweb to warn other users of the cycle lockers of the security threat to their bikes.

From Barry D

Thursday, 8 September 2011

Yep, my brand new bike stolen from locker at station,thieves ripped mesh front from locker and took bike, a central bar on front of locker would have made this more difficult for the thieves to take my bike.

Who owns the lockers? I will be taking it up with my solicitors and put a case against the owners to prove that the lockers provide adequate security against this happening. Any comments appreciated regarding this.

From Kim D

Friday, 9 September 2011

Very upsetting to see the ripped and mangled mesh at the bike lockers at Hebden Station this morning. I leave my bike there all day and am growing very concerned that the security is not as good as it could be. It seems to me the CCTV is no deterrent to the determined thief. Add to this the vandalism we have seen recently at the station as well as the cafe break-in and you begin to wonder if the station is being targetted because of it's relative isolation.

I agree the bike lockers should have some sort of rigid metal cross bar around the door and wall panels to prevent the bike inside being removed via the mesh panel. What use is padlocking the rigid door frame if access via the mesh panel is so easy? It must have taken some force to prize the mesh panel open - did no-one notice it really?

I wonder at what time of day your bikes were stolen? Hebden is a relatively busy station and I am very suprised that this criminal activity was not seen by anyone.

If the lockers are not providing adequate security should we be instead using the open bike racks and locking our bikes to the immovable object?