Ryburne

Small ads

Budget consultation in Hebden

From Paul Clarke

Thursday, 12 January 2012

I'm sorry if anyone actually thought there was going to be a public meeting In Hebden to discuss the cuts the council is going to impose on our community. Yet again there is not.

But the real question is why not?

Given Cllr leader Battye is defending an uber slim 53 majority surely she'd welcome the chance to face her voters to explain why the council she is paid to lead is attacking the most vulnerable people in our community.

We have a well fitted out Town Hall run by local people who would probably welcome some income from Calderdale.

But no, yet again we have to go to Tod if we want a say. I'm sure they will say they can't go everywhere but why not alternate between Tod and Heb?

They won't because councillors and officers don't want a horde of articulate, well informed and angry Hebenites turning up to tell them why we don't want the sort of cuts they are proposing.

The bottom line, this is disgusting political cowardice.

From James Baker

Paul it's a short bus journey, cycle or one train stop away. Meetings are spread out autocross the whole of Calderdale to give people a chance to get involved. It's not realistic to hold a meeting in every single town and village, as there simply isn't enough time.

Unlike the previous Tory administration that didn't do such public budget consultations this Labour/Lib Dem coalition is committed to hearing what people have to say.

I can give up to three people a lift in my car if they want to go. If you can't make it you can also let your views known at your local ward forum or contact your local Calderdale councillors.

From Gideon Foster

I am sure the short journey to Todmorden should not pose too much of a problem to such "articulate and well informed Hebdenites".

Presumably Tod is a softer audience full of the inarticulate and ill informed is it ?

From Ian M

Or perhaps understanding a bus or train timetable is beyond a well informed, articulate Hebdonitel! And then there are the complexities of checking your change from the driver!

From Greg Hobson

Friday, 13 January 2012

'There will also be little cause for celebrating this budget as no funds were put aside to mark either the Diamond Jubilee or the Olympics.'

Oh how we wept! Why should we pay any more than we already have done to mark either of these events?

From David Telford

Friday, 13 January 2012

Quite right Greg, the council simpy needs to allow it's citizens to make their own celebrations. The notion that we must have a state (albeit local) organised fun day has a touch of North Korea about it. The big society is about local people being able to group together to organise help / celebration / fun in their own way and how they see fit. For the Jubilee that can be some nostalgic flag waving or it can some republical anarchy party but we surely don't need a local town clerk to tell us how to do it.

From Paul Clarke

Saturday, 14 January 2012

Gideon, you are being very naughty.

I'm not suggesting the good folk of Tod aren't articulate or informed . . . quite the opposite and you know it.