Ryburne

Small ads

Hebden Bridger bus problems again!

From Ben Plumpton

Tuesday, 21 February 2012

The B bus service last week was dreadful. The 7.19 'B' bus from Crimsworth to the station didn't turn up at all on 3 occasions. I've heard the Cragg Vale service had problems too.

I've complained to Metro, and would encourage anyone else affected by this to do the same (see website).

It really is infuriating if the bus service you rely on to get to work is so hopeless. Does anyone have any suggestions for how else we could put pressure on Tyrer to improve their service?

Cheers,

Ben

From Paul Weatherhead

The Hebden Bridger service has suffered since Tyrer's took over. I use the A/B service regularly, usually twice a day if not more. I agree it's extremely galling when you fork out £80 for a Metro pass and end up having to get a taxi/lug heavy bags up the hill/wait ages for the next bus because the one hasn't turned up.

I heard rumours last year that Tyrer weren't going to have their contract renewed due to complaints and poor reliability, but this hasn't come to pass.

As well as complaining to Metro, I wonder if some negative coverage in the local newspapers might put some pressure on them to improve?

From Andrew B

I complain to Metro quite frequently about Tyrer, they do absolutely nothing about it.

What get's me is that the cost of travelling on a Tyrer Bus is now 20p more expensive than travelling on a First Bus (From Hebden Bridge-Old Town) - and still they can't be reliable. Tyrer Tours they were orginially, presumably doing coach trips; if they can't manage to stick to a generous timetable (Quite often buses sit at the turning circle at Crimsworth for well over 5 minutes) then how on earth could you rely on them for a holiday?!

I have now started (where possible) to wait for the First Bus, if everyone does the same then Tyrer will be hit where it hurts; on the balance sheet.

From George Murphy

I think it is useful to ring Metro if service delivery falls below standard. I had cause to complain about the treatment of a vulnerable adult on one of the Tyrer buses and found that Metro were very supportive. I believe that the person concerned had to undergo retraining. Unfortunately the passenger has decided not to travel on Tyrer buses in future.

From Mo Norwood

Saturday, 25 February 2012

I've complained to metro about Tyrer buses 4 times and hope the volume of complaints might make a difference - especially to those in the hilltop communities who often have to wait at exposed bus stops - eg on the Lumbutts route.

I pay £21 a week for this service and have been stranded too many times now. Thanks for letting me rant here.

From Julie C

Sunday, 26 February 2012

Walked up Sandygate in the dark - no torch -(in danger of being squashed by speedy cars) when the B bus didn't turn on up Thursday - no wonder so many people use a car all the time to get up and down the hill - (if they have one that is).

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 27 February 2012

Just to say, I've emailed Councillor David Hardy about this. He's the Chair of the Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee and the WYITA District Spokesperson for Transport in Calderdale. Hopefully this might have some effect!

From Dave J

Monday, 27 February 2012

My gripe with Tyrer buses is that they still, after all these years, have a habit of pulling out of the train station just as a late train pulls in. Some of the trains are timed so tightly with the buses that a 2 or 3 minute train delay means that a bus will leave potential passengers (including me) behind.

I realise that the buses have to stick to timetables but I have actually been on these trains, seen the bus parked at the stop only to watch it disappear down Station Approach as I run out of the station. Trains are pretty big and the drivers cannot have failed to see them pulling in.

In the past I used to phone WY Metro (at least I think it was) as they asked for reports to be made in situations like this. Did it do any good? Of course not.

So, Tyrer buses, do you want passengers or not? I know that if ran a business, I would want to encourage trade rather than leaving it behind in the rain.

From Avril H

Monday, 12 March 2012

I just wondered how people were getting on with the Tyrer Bus company. We are fed up with them over here in Todmorden. They constantly fail to show up. Sometimes they blame lack of drivers but often they cite bus breakdown but they never try and cover the service with an alternative. For instance when roadworks affected the service Metro supplied a taxi to cover the route. Do they get a grant to cover our area and are they just taking the money and running?

They are far more expensive than First. We can't use the same ticket to get from home to our friends in Hebden as we could with First and they dont do a day return or a family ticket which has curtailed the social lives of both me and my children - No more popping off for a cuppa at a friends on the way back from the shops as it just means another lot of bus fares. It really has become miserable living in such a rural area.

Tyrer never seem to be in their office to answer the phone so you can never find out what has happened to your service or when (or if) it will be running again. I think they showed their true colours when they took over from First. There was no notice given and so I bought a £7 family First ticket on the morning (as I had walked down to the main road to catch a bus into Hebden) and when I tried to use it to return home later in the day I was shocked to be told they were no longer with First and I would have to buy another lot of tickets. It cost me over a further £9 that day just so I could get my children to their after school classes.

We have been stranded constantly since Tyrer took over and have had to fork out on Taxis to get home at £8 a time.

The drivers for Tyrer are generally great. Really friendly and helpful. But Tyrer as a service provider stinks.

When I have complained to Metro they just forwarded the complaint to Tyrer who wrote a placating letter implying it was an isolated incident. Who do they think they are kidding. What on earth can we do, as humble passengers, to get this situation sorted out? Do we have to put up with this kind of treatment?

From Dave Robinson

Monday, 12 March 2012

I used to use the Heden Bridgers regularly but since Tyrer took over they are simply not reliable enough to ensure I will meet my train times. So I have to drive to the station and leave the car parked up all day, and before anyone suggests it, a bike ride uphill after a long day is impractical.
The cost of travelling from isolated areas has become too costly for anyone other than the pensioners with free travel. the Tyrer buses look more like a SAGA outing these days than a bus service. Nice drivers, bad company.

I have written to Metro and they do naff all except as AndyB has said, pass the complaint to Tyrer!

From Lesley M

Thursday, 15 March 2012

Time for all those who live up steep hills to buy an electric bike! Much cheaper to run than a car and can bypass all the current traffic jams!

From Paul Rigg

Monday, 19 March 2012

I now have three complaints on the go all for the E bus, one about three weeks ago, on last Sunday (11th March) and one for yesterday (18th March).

The one yesterday related to the 10pm bus from the station, the last bus of the day on a Sunday so it wasnt't like you even had the option of waiting an hour for the next one.

At £6 each to pay, considering I already have a £10 weekly Tyrer ticket, its getting a bit expensive.

Metro are doing a "review" of buses in Calderdale this year. I think there will be a reduction of services after that and fear that evening services will disappear altogether, which will certainly keep me out of the pub!

From Julie C

Friday, 30 March 2012

The A and B bus are still erratic, lots of us on the hills are losing confidence in the service. Talking to one of the drivers the other evening I learnt of worrying problems: - apparently the buses have been overheating because the fans can't cope. The drivers had been told by their Inspector to do one run and miss the next to let the engine cool off. Supposedly there is also a shortage of available mechanics. At least one of the buses has problems with its suspension, that's why it sounds like a passing recycling truck as it rattles along. We need a safe, affordable, predictable bus service.

From Jenny B

Friday, 30 March 2012

I e-mailed Metro several weeks ago about the poor service on all of the hilltop routes. I have not received a response. I am very concerned that this service is so unreliable. My teens have been left stranded due to its failure to arrive. Taxis are then required at extra cost when we have already purchased weekly or day tickets. My elderly mother will no longer visit friends or the cinema in the evenings due to the unreliable service.

I seem to remember some one saying they were a member of a group that act as a liasion between metro and rural bus services.

What more can we do about this?

From Roger N

Sunday, 1 April 2012

Rumours from the Tyrer drivers suggest that Tyrer have had enough and are pulling out of running the local Hebden Bridge services after April.

There is no news as to who will replace them. First are unlikely to step back into the breach, particularly in the light of their very disappointing trading statement (which highlights the problems of falling receipts from bus travel in the North).

I do not hold out much hope for the future. The buses are on their last legs (or 'wheels', I suppose), the local services rely on a fairly sizeable rural bus grant (which, in the light of cut backs is in serious jeopardy), and those bus companies who have tendered for the contract in the past quite simply haven't been able to make a go of it.

Incidentally, I notice quite a few posters have had no joy with Metro, rarely receiving a reply. This maybe because they're contacting the wrong people. Forget the Metro site with its feedback forms, go straight to the West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority website seek out the appropriate council member and write. I have had a 100% reply rate this way.

From Paul Rigg

Monday, 2 April 2012

The interesting thing would be what reply did you get from the West Yorkshire ITA? Did you get any compensation

I have now got 5 complaints in as the last bus in Saturday did not operate to Blackshawhead.

A driver told me on Saturday morning that Rossendale Transport might take over, or failing that Centrebus who (as K Line) operate the 900/901 service to Huddersfield via Cragg Vale.

The buses are now terrible -one overheats all the time and another rattles a lot and has no heater, although it might be useful for the visually impaired!

From Myra James

Monday, 2 April 2012

I am a member of the Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee and have alerted Metro to complaints about the Tyrer service. Tyrer has given notice on their contract and a tendering process is underway. I hope to learn more about this at the next meeting which, conveniently, is this Tuesday and I will report back to this forum.

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 2 April 2012

Just to add my experience today - the 7.19 'B' bus didn't turn up at Crimsworth this morning. I've just been on holiday for a week, and it rather shattered the relaxed feeling to be horribly late for work again due to the wretched Tyrer bus company.

Myra, would you like chapter and verse about the times when the B buses haven't turned up? Today's complaint is the fifth complaint I've submitted via the Metro website and I haven't had the courtesy of a single reply, other than the automated acknowledgement that the Metro website sends. I don't always bother complaining so I don't have a complete record, but I'm sure other people could give you their experiences too. You might like to give us your email address so we can send them direct rather than via this forum.

Please emphasise at Tuesday's meeting how important these services are! I'm concerned that there might be a planned slow decline going on - let Tyrer carry on with their dreadful service, so that people start to make other arrangements because they can't rely on the buses (walking, getting lifts, sharing taxis etc), so then Metro can turn around and say that cancelling the services doesn't matter because nobody uses them!

Ben

PS There's a safety aspect too - my kids end up walking up and down Keighley Road to Pecket Well, and that's pretty dangerous because there isn't room for pedestrians when two lorries pass.

From Simon Hayles

Monday, 2 April 2012

Thursday 11.14 E bus - no show at all.
Friday 11.14 E bus - slightly late but had an alarm sounding for the entire journey.
Monday 10.10 E bus on time (Hooray!) but again intermittent alarm sounding and a strong smell of burning rubber. I asked the driver what the alarm was and he told me it was the engine overheating.
I think we need some better buses . . .

From Myra James

Monday, 2 April 2012

Thank you Ben. I will certainly mention the fact that you and others have received no response to your complaints. I will also mention the safety issues when people, especially children, have to walk along a dangerous route when a bus fails to show. I will print out all the complaints in this thread to take with me for starters. I am sure that Metro are well aware that the service just isn't good enough but I will leave my email address live so you can send me your full list of complaints.

From Paul Weatherhead

Tuesday, 3 April 2012

The 7.38 B bus and the 8.00 A bus didn't run today (Tuesday) or yesterday, and several didn't run through the day. Several missed on Saturday and Sunday too, leaving people with bags full of shopping and prams full of children stranded. Last year, one of the Tyrer drivers quit in disgust, saying he was sick of working for a bunch of cowboys, and I don't blame him. Life in the bus lane will surely make you lose your mind . . . .

From Greg Hobson

Tuesday, 3 April 2012

The E bus that leaves the railway station at just after 6pm was a no show on Monday 2 April. The driver of the B bus said that he wasn't prepared to drive his bus as it had seriously overheated. When he'd phoned Tyrer they said 'drive it until it catches fire'!

I have passed my concerns about the roadworthiness of these buses to VOSA.

From Myra James

Tuesday, 3 April 2012

At today's Passenger Consultative Committee meeting we learned that Tyrer has given notice to end its contract in July and will not be tendering again. Councillor Hardy, chair of the PCC and Calderdale's representative on the Integrated Transport Authority, said his email has been "inundated" with complaints about the Tyrer service. Let's hope the new operator can do better.

I asked whether an Eaves service will be part of the new contract (this service was withdrawn several years ago by First) but was told that shortness of time meant that the contract will be let on the same basis as the current one, with the exception of a reduction in some evening services in Todmorden (sorry, I have no detail on the services affected, but I think there were some exceptional difficulties with them hence their exclusion from the contract). The forthcoming wider review of bus services in Todmorden will therefore be the first opportunity to press for restoration of an Eaves service.

Other items of interest from today's meeting: Metro, in partnership with bus operators, has succeeded in its bid for £5m from the Better Bus Areas Fund. This will allow enhanced and accelerated roll-out of smart-card ticketing over the next two years. This is somethng we're going to hear a lot more about over the next couple of years.

We had a presentation on realtime bus information from which it appears that the reason for so many services appearing on the information screens as scheduled time rather that real time is failure of equipment on buses. Tall buildings, trees and topography can also be an issue. Damage-proof antennae are being fitted to buses but only as damaged antennae require replacement. Because of the cost to operators it seems unlikely that these improvements will be accelerated. Metro has a programme to trim trees which interfere with the satellite tracking of buses. Not much that can be done about buildings or hillsides though!

From Simon Hayles

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Many thanks for the feedback Myra, though the news is hardly good. So I have to wait until July to know if there'll be a bus or not - or rather; find out then?

"Other items of interest from today's meeting: Metro, in partnership with bus operators, has succeeded in its bid for £5m from the Better Bus Areas Fund. This will allow enhanced and accelerated roll-out of smart-card ticketing over the next two years. This is somethng we're going to hear a lot more about over the next couple of years."

This really made me grid my teeth. I spent 30 minutes stood in the cold at the bus-stop this morning for another no-show. £5m is a lot of refurbed/new buses - and what the hell is a smart-card anyway? I'm pretty sure I don't have one. I'm quite happy to hand over my £2.20 in hard, cold cash as long as there's an actual working, non-overheating, on-time bus!

From Myra James

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Simon, your response re the smart ticketing is entirely understandable, when you simply long for a bus that turns up. However, the idea of the project is to encourage bus journeys to be paid for "off-bus", thereby saving time while passengers pay their fares and drivers give change. I imagine it will make for a less stressful life for drivers and will remove the imperative for passengers to have sufficient change available when boarding a bus. It also permits better monitoring of services and how they are used.

Smart card ticketing will function like the Oyster Card system in London (the description doesn't help me but might be meaningful for some). Passengers will be able to top up their card with cash a bit like one does with a mobile phone.

The new ticket machines to be seen on many First buses are smartcard enabled and I believe holders of concessionary passes can already swipe them on the machines. Ultimately, the scheme will be able to provide discounts on travel costs according to the journeys made in a day (ie automatic and retrospective application of the day ticket discount). As with all such schemes, the devil will be in the detail and in how effectively it is developed. Although I still have many questions about exactly how the scheme will operate I'm convinced that this is a good-news story for public transport in West Yorkshire, bringing us at last into the 21st century.

From Paul Rigg

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

After the 11.35pm bus to the Sportsmans failed to turn up on Monday night I finally decided that I had enough of filling in their form and rang Metro instead. They told me they passed complaints to Tyrer. I pointed out that I had received no response from Tyrer and suggested that THEY should deal with Tyrer. It is their responsibility as it is a tendered service and they selected Tyrer as operator. They then asked me to send the Taxi receipts that I have (5 at £6 each) and they would see what they could do, I have done that today so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I spoke to one of the drivers on the 1135pm last night (which DID operate) and he told me that the new tender includes new buses and that Tyrer, on hearing this, have tendered again!

Myra the thing about smartcards is most welcome as long as it. like the Oyster Card caps the spending to the cost of a day ticket,or you can load a weekly ticket onto it.

The machines on the Tyrer tours buses already allow concessionary pass holders to touch in so presumably the technology could be added.

I cant see how you could operate any other system than a flat fare system from people getting on a bus. That I understand is what happens with Oyster.

My complaint to Metro has been passed to the Bus Services Manager and he should reply in the next ten days.

From Myra James

Thursday, 5 April 2012

Yes Paul, the intention is to operate a daily cap as per the Oyster Card arrangement you mention, but this can be brought in only when all operators have the equipment.

I'm afraid I can throw no light on what you were told by the driver about Tyrer tendering after all. We were told Tyrer were not tendering and there was no mention of new buses.

Best of luck with those taxi fares.

From Ben Plumpton

Thursday, 12 April 2012

I've had a reply from Councillor David Hardy, chair of the Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee, who says:

"A new service provider is to be contracted for your problem service, Tyrers contract to be terminated"

which sounds hopeful. However, I hope this is achieved quickly, because otherwise Tyrer are unlikely to provide much of a service in the meantime....

Myra, do you know anything about timescales?

From Myra James

Friday, 13 April 2012

Ben, I believe Tyrer are to quit in July but as I recall from the PCC meeting, Tyrer have said that if a new company is ready to take up the contract before then they will relinquish it early. Fingers crossed!

From Hannah-Louise Heald

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

I know there are lots people like me experiencing the rare-to-non-existent service that was once the E bus - causing incredible frustration, annoyance and a lot of wasted money.

I don't really understand why the service is running so badly if the Tyrer contract isn't due to end till July - is this just the E bus, or is it all the Tyrer services?

Also, could anyone tell me how to complain to Metro on the phone - i've complained many times on the online form, but have never received more than an automated response and certainly nothing from Tyrer. And has anyone had taxi fares successfully reimbursed? Is it worth me sending them in?

From Andrew B

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

I have today been informed by a local bus driver that the contract has now been awarded to TLC Travel of Bradford. The deal also includes 6 new buses.

Although any operator other than Tyrer is a great result for the public, this unfortunately still means that the only way we can use the First Buses once in the valley bottom is to purchase a £5.20 Metro WY Day Ticket; I suppose we can't have it all ways!

From Roger N

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Let's hope TLC can live up to their name.

I agree with Andrew B about the ridiculous ticketing we have in the valley. When First operated all the services, a 'Hebden Bridger' ticket would take you anywhere in the area on any bus. Then Tyrer took over the local bus routes, and the Hebden Bridger could only be used on their buses.

Under the new regime, I understand that the 'C' bus up Cragg Vale may be limited to early mornings and evenings only, with the CentreBus operated 900 service to Huddersfield running during the day. So anyone living up / wanting to visit Cragg Vale during the day has yet another bus company to contend with. Instantaneously, the £2.80 Hebden Bridger ticket becomes useless, and we're expected to fork out £5.20 on a Bus Day Rover. That's quite an increase.

Surely Metro should be improving and enhancing local public transport rather than landing us with an assortment of bus companies, each keen on promoting their own fares, and not accepting tickets issued by the other companies. Why is a reciprocal ticketing arrangement not built in to any contract for would-be operators? Why can't Metro assume responsibility for tickets such as the 'Hebden Bridger'? A £5.20 Bus Day Rover is fabulous value is you want to travel county wide, but less so if you merely want to travel three or four miles. If there are a few of you, a taxi is now so much cheaper.

Perhaps our representatives on the Passengers Consultative Committee could investigate.

From Myra James

Thursday, 3 May 2012

I, for my sins, am a member of the Passenger Consultative Committee. This is a body comprising councillors, representatives of Metro and transport operators and public representatives like myself. We meet quarterly and are consulted on various issues on which Metro is working. For example at the last meeting we were asked for our views on retailing strategy for Smart Cards (West Yorkshire's answer to the Oyster Card, to be rolled out over the next two years). I hope that some ticketing problems may be resolved by the arrival of Smart Cards.

Metro is limited by legislation that de-regulated bus services but would like to move towards a system of Quality Contracts, which would provide greater control over services. As I understand it, Metro requires government approval for this kind of arrangement and negotiations are ongoing. All this, of course, against a background of cuts to funding. That's not to say that Metro necessarily gets everything right but I would say the root of the problem dates back to government policy of the 1980s. So we know who to blame then...

As for the immediate problem of the appalling service offered by Tyrer, I have been in contact with a couple of passengers, the chair of the PCC and the relevant Metro officer and we are trying to establish whether taxi fares may be refunded to passengers who have MetroCards. Meanwhile I would suggest that anyone affected keeps a record of what has happened and retains taxi receipts.

From Andy H

Sunday, 6 May 2012

I am led to believe FIRST have secured the Hebden Bridge and Todmorden minibus networks.

From Myra James

Sunday, 6 May 2012

I hope you're right, Andy H., so that once again a combination of minibus and Green Line services can be purchased via a First Day ticket instead of the more expensive Metro day ticket. And First can surely be expected to do a better job of delivering the services. It's a shame they ever lost the contract. Tyrer were presumably cheaper (for Metro, not for the suffering passengers) - sometimes you get what you pay for.

From Susan Press

Monday, 7 May 2012

My understanding is that someone from Metro will be at the Calder Ward Forum on June 19. Let as many people as you can know so we tell them what we think about the appalling service people have been suffering recently. See you there

From Dave R

Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Sorry Myra, the service has definitely not gone to First.

I had it from the 'horses mouth' (the driver) that their contracts are transferring to TLC. Therefore, no first bus tickets will be valid.

Apparently there will be some changes to timetables and possible loss of some services too.

From Andy H

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

I'm sorry Dave you are wrong.First have won the work during the recent Tendering exercise to replace Tyrer bus. The driver who gave you that information is misinformed.

From Dave R

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Glad to stand corrected in this instance Andy.

First are by far the better service provider and it will be less costly to passengers to have them in charge.

I used the Blackshaw E service bridger bus only last week and the driver that told me was George, (one of the old regulars who came across from First) so I would have thought he may know. Maybe he was misinformed by Tyrer?

The service continues to be very unreliable however, so does anyone know the handover date?

From Ben Plumpton

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Here's some correspondence I've had with Neale Wallace at Metro:

Sent: 09 May 2012 08:21
To: 'Ben Plumpton'
Subject: RE: Hebden Bridger bus service

Ben , we are just in discussion with an operator to finalise a number of issues. We should have clarity on the points you have raised early next week. I will contact you then.
Regards neale

Sent: 07 May 2012 23:27
To: Neale Wallace
Subject: Hebden Bridger bus service

Hi,

You may have seen the discussions on the Hebden Bridge Web about the dreadful bus service Tyrer has been providing for the Hebden Bridgers (see here for example)

It would be very helpful if Metro could clear up some of the issues being raised in particular:
1) Which bus company has been awarded the Hebden Bridger contract?
2) When will they take over?
3) Will there be any changes to the services or timetables?
4) What ticketing arrangements will there be for passengers needing to use multiple services?

I heard that Metro will be attending the Calder Ward Forum on 19th June. I shall come to this if I possibly can and I hope you will be able to answer my questions (above) then if not before.

From Liz D

Thursday, 17 May 2012

Now that Tyrer have lost/given up the contract for the bus service it is going from bad to worse. Today I tried to get four different buses, all didn't turn up. This morning I waited for the 11.50 A bus from Old Town to Hebden, which didn't arrive. Luckily a friend saw me waiting and offered me a lift down which meant I didn't miss my pilates class.

After the class I went for the 1.40pm A bus to come back home. No, it didn't turn up either, but after 20 mins I could at least catch the 2pm B bus.

Later this afternoon I went for the 3.50pm A bus to go down to my allotment in Hebden. Nothing doing, so I walked down, with great difficulty as I currently have an injured knee. At 5.00pm I tried to get the bus back up to Old Town.....guess what? No bus again.

I don't have a car, I depend on these buses. I have started filling in a complaint form on Metro website every time one doesn't turn up, but nothing happens except an automated response. Is there anything else we can do to improve this necessary service???

From Ben Plumpton

Wednesday, 23 May 2012

I've just had a response from Neale Wallace at Metro (Neale.Wallace@wypte.gov.uk) to my questions above - good news I think!

He says:

Ben, the Board has approved First to take over Hebden Bridge so ticketing issues will be resolved. The official date for handover is 22 July but we are having the vehicles checked independently as we speak and we are in discussions with First for an early handover, possibly June. As far as the timetable is concerned, no real change just minor tweaks with times changing by an odd minute to reflect running times more realistically. I will let you know when the new timetable is on the web and also a firmed up date for handover.

From Andrew B

Wednesday, 23 May 2012

I agree Ben, definitely good news! Although I'm sure everyone appreciates that there will be the odd occasion when a bus doesn't show up, First were always reliable in the past. This also of course means that people travelling locally can buy a First Day ticket instead of the £5.20 Metro Day.

Trust it to get sorted now the weather's picking up and it's nice enough to walk if Tyrer don't show!

From Mo Norwood

Thursday, 24 May 2012

How good to hear that First are on track to take over these services. I did get £5 back from Tyrer for a taxi fare by the way, and have had helpful drivers trying to keep us informed when they could.

From E Jones

Tuesday, 29 May 2012

I am thoroughly disappointed in the non-existent punctuality of this bus service. I have only got this bus 5 times, it has been late every time, and 2 of the times it did not show up at all. This meant I had to wait over an hour at the bus stop for the next one.

I am not incredibly bothered about this but I think it's unfair that some of the older people that get this bus and people who rely on this bus to b somewhere at a specific time should have to wait this long.

I'm glad that another company is taking over this route (Hebden to Blackshaw Head via Fairfield) but I'm worried that it may not necessarily be an improvement, you can't guarantee that the service will be any better...

From Julie Dent

Wednesday, 30 May 2012

I contacted councillor Battye and Fekri about the A and B service being so dire (no joy from Metro/Tyrer) and was informed by Cllr Battye that she had not picked up on problems on this route before, only the ones at Blackshaw Head and Todmorden so I have provided her with a link to this forum. A few times last week in the staggering heat I was stuck walking with a pram and shopping up to Mount Skip and witnessed pensioners having to share a taxi to Dodd Naze. Several people at Dodd Naze Community Centre Dodd Pod also told me of their issues with the poor service.

From Ben Plumpton

Friday, 1 June 2012

Tyrer seem to have virtually given up providing a Hebden Bridger service at all. My normal bus in the mornings (B bus from Crimsworth at 7:19) hasn't turned up for 2 weeks. I've wasted such a lot of time waiting for these buses! If I knew which buses were going to run, I could plan around that, but as it is we passengers have no information at all. You'd think they could at least manage to put a notice on the main bus stops in Hebden...

The sooner Metro manage to transfer the contract to First the better - at least they have scale on their side (more drivers to call on, and a decent maintenance team).

I think it's worth contacting Neale Wallace at Metro - he seems to respond to my (many) emails of complaint, and I think the more details of problems we can give him, the more pressure Metro can put on Tyrer. His email address is Neale.Wallace@wypte.gov.uk

If anyone wants to ring Tyrer their number is 0845 130 1716.

From Andy H

Friday, 1 June 2012

First take over the Hebden Bridge and Todmorden networks on Sunday June 17th.

From Angus B

Monday, 11 June 2012

Interesting to read all the tales of woe here. It's not just us then.
Just for the record, the C bus to Blackshaw Head is as unreliable as the other routes. Probably pointless to mention this - but I will anyway! - my 17-year old is a student at Calder High. He's not been allowed onto the yellow school bus since he started at 6th form (Why not?), and has had serious problems getting to school on days when he's travelling outside peak hours.

I drove to Hebden recently and picked up a woman who had resorted to hitch-hiking with her two young children. Ridiculous.

For myself, I'm so sick of having to walk back from Hebden. I'm sober by the time I get home!

Is there no recourse here? Is the bus company not legally bound to provide the service laid out in timetables?

From Paul Rigg

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

I've just been speaking to Joanne Wilson at Metro about my refunds and she tells me that there are considerable problems with the state of the current fleet of buses, so much so that there may be problems with First taking over on Sunday as predicted.

I was also told with regard to the 906 Widdop-Hardcastle Crags service (which of course is essential for accessing the Blue Pig) was not included in the list of the services that Tyrer wished to divest themselves of and so that might even remain with Tyrer if the other lettered bus services are transferred away.

From Dave R

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses!

Users of the service could have told Metro (many did) that the fleet of buses used by Tyrer were in a terrible condition. They were frequently broken down/ over-heated/ unable to cope with a bit of snow etc etc.

We currently have no service to speak of. The fact that First were due to take over on the 17th seemed to give Tyrer the opportunity to give their drivers a month off.

I for one am gob-smacked that First were intending using the same fleet of buses. We were told there would be new buses on the route once it was taken over.

I and many others have struggled on the best I can, making sure that I am not reliant on our non existent service to get me anywhere on time.
I give up, and intend to buy a second car.

From Isla S

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Good news, free bus services, it seems they did listen and read this forum! Now First has announced that Tyrer will stop running buses on the routes on Saturday, June 16 - and that from Sunday, June 17 to Sunday, June 24, a host of journeys will be free until First takes over running them from Monday, June 25.

From Ben Plumpton

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Here's more detail in an email I just received from Metro:

From: Clive Hopkinson [mailto:Clive.Hopkinson@wypte.gov.uk]
Sent: 14 June 2012 15:52
Subject: FW: Hebden Bridger bus service

I can now advise you of the position regarding operation of Hebden Bridge Services from this Sunday, 17 June.

From Sunday June 17, for a period of seven days, Hebden Bridge local services currently operated by Tyrer Tours will run free of charge to the existing timetable. Journeys on Sunday 17th and Mon 18th will be operated by Calderdale Community Transport using accessible minibuses, whilst First will take over from Tuesday using a mixture of vehicles.

From Sunday June 24, a revised timetable will be introduced with minor changes to the daytime service to improve punctuality and reliability. In the evenings, Service T9 will be withdrawn and Service T1 will be reduced in frequency from half-hourly to hourly. Timetables will be available early next week on Metro's website www.wymetro.com and in hard copy at the usual outlets. The services will again operate free of charge on Sunday 24 June, but fares will be payable from Monday 25 June. The existing fleet of vehicles will gradually be brought back into use, once they have received the necessary attention by First in order to ensure reliability.

Regards

Clive Hopkinson I Bus Service Delivery Team Leader I Metro
0113 251 7411
clive.hopkinson@wypte.gov.uk
www.wymetro.com

Thanks also to others who've sent a similar message to this - Ed

From V. Kay

Monday, 18 June 2012

After months of time spent waiting in vain for buses that don't turn up for no valid reason, we were quite hopeful when we heard that Tyrer's contract was comingto an end, to be replaced by First bus. Then we read that they were putting on a free bus service for a week, starting today with services run by Calderdale Community Transport. What a great idea! . . . Or it would be if the buses turned up! Yet again we wasted time at a bus stop anticipating the arrival of the E bus only to end up walking home. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come . . .

From Paul Rigg

Monday, 18 June 2012

Thinks are not getting any better. I have sent the following to metro this morning

Dear Mr Pearson

Thank you for your email last week. I was very pleased to receive it as you will appreciate I have had considerable problems getting out and about on the local buses during the last six months or so. I thought that there was light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and that the ree service on offer was a nice touch.

The reality this weekend has been a bit different. I attempted to catch five buses this weekend none turned up at all.

On Friday evening I went to catch the 2047 E bus from Blackshawhead. I don't think it's run much at all for the last month or so , so I was hardly too surprised that it didnt turn up. Anyway it's only two miles and it wasn't a bad night so I walked the two miles down to Hebden Bridge. I had done twice previously last week. It was more irritating however when the FLX1 bus at 2337 didn't turn up. This is of course the last bus and it's 1 in 4 most of the way home. Another taxi was called for and I am attaching the receipt.

Saturday dawned. Only one bus to catch – this was the 906 service which left Widdop at around 1740. I went out to catch it, probably optimistically as it runs straight past my front door and I hadn't heard it go past. Needless to say it didn't appear. Never mind I thought the 1828 E bus from Blackshawhead will turn up. To my amazement it actually did! One slightly delayed bus journey made!

I had high hopes on Sunday as I had read your email. Tyere were out of it and Calderdale Community transport were operating the buses - they were borrowing buses and things. Surely they would manage to provide three buses to run the service. This was your opportunity to market and showcase the service to people who didn't normally use it with free fares. How wrong I was. I thought I hadn't heard the 906 going past all day and indeed it hadn't. I went to catch the one that leaves Widdop at around 2.40 pm. Needless to say it didn't turn up and when I got to my destination (on foot again) at Midgehole I was told that various services earlier hadnt run either, I can tell you that the 1500 E bus from Hebden Bridge to Blackshaw Head didn't run either. I would have passed it on the road at Slack Bottom.

A few walked round to see if the 5pm bus turned up. Don't think it did - I never saw it anyway. I walked into Hebden Bridge and then intended to catch the 2200 bus home. This is the last bus naturally it failed to appear and another taxi was required (second receipt).

I think my total taxi bill now runs to £47. I have to go out tonight on the E bus. I wonder what will happen. Your promise of free buses for a week now seems a bit hollow.when there are actually no buses provided to travel on.

From Roger N

Monday, 18 June 2012

You must appreciate that Metro engaged Calderdale Community Transport as a last resort, given the state of the buses that First were supposed to run from 17th June. They did so on the basis that it's better to provide some service, however erratic it might be, than no service at all. Can you imagine the 'barrack room lawyers' complaining that, had Metro not provided any service, they would have been in breach of contract, and subject to litigation.

My experience of the CCT staff is that they're doing their best in a difficult situation. How people can complain about them is quite simply beyond me.

The simple fact of the matter is that the buses used for the Hebden Bridger services are not fit for purpose. First are now rectifying this problem, but it is bound to take time. We need to try to work with them rather than against them.

It's too easy to complain that services haven't been perfect, but for heaven's sake, this is a transitional week, and anyone who expected it to be perfect is sadly delusioned. We're lucky to have a local, heavily subsidised bus service. Let's wait until First are in control of it before we pass judgement.

From Dave R

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Roger N says "My experience of the CCT staff is that they're doing their best in a difficult situation. How people can complain about them is quite simply beyond me".

I don't see any criticism of CCT here, the complaints are about Metro.
As most of us received an email response to our previous well justified complaints, which reassured us that a service would run, albeit made up of 'various vehicles', then what would you have us expect?

A no-show service, or a service which operated reasonably as per normal, but one that we could expect to be reliable?

Otherwise what would the point be in us waiting at the bus stop? Transitional period or not, Metro promised a service which is not being delivered.

From Paul Rigg

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

As of this morning the only service operating is the C up Cragg Vale.,

That is totally ridiculous as it is duplicated by the 901/900 which also runs hourly, to Huddersfield via Cragg Vale.

If you ring the Metro helpline, it says the buses T1 to T9 and ABDE are suspended and refers you to their website. However, there is nothing on their website.

I wonder what would happen if this occured in Leeds?

From Dave R

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Metro update 19/06/2012:Hebden Bridge & Todmorden services

A reduced service will operate on Hebden Bridge services A, B, C. D & E and Todmorden services T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 T6, T8 & T9, FlexiBus services 1 & 2 and service 906 today.

Due to limited vehicle availability for the short-notice interim arrangements, service C is operating in Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd, but services T1 to T9 in Todmorden and A B D & E in Hebden Bridge are suspended.

Metro is working with the incoming operator First to find available vehicles to run a fuller service tomorrow.

From Julie Dent

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Just sent another email to Cllr. Pointless offering free transport if there are no buses. Complete joke.

From Paul Rigg

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

At the risk of taking over the thread completely, Ive just got of the phone to metro. The new timetable is now available for download, in force from 24th June. There are a number of issues that I have spotted.

The main one is that the flexibuses at 2335 are going to be replaced by one bus that will drop people off at Heptonstall, Dodd Naze Old Town and Pecket Well. No mention of Blackshaw Head so I've asked them whats happening about that. I have also asked them how exactly that is going to work and they don't know. Perhaps they'll email me when they've worked it out.

There are minor changes that I have spotted to the E and C buses. There is a big gap in C buses between 1700 and 1800 which coincides when the 900/901 isn't running either so there's a bit of poor co-ordination. The evening E buses to Blackshaw will now run slightly later than now so they should offer a better connection with the train.

With regard to fares Metro don't know about whether the £2.80 day ticket will continue. What we do know is that it will probably not be available on the 906 as that is being taken over by the Calderdale Community Transport. As they didn't provide it last Sunday I'll believe it when I see it.

I think that the whole thing has degenerated into a farce and some people need holding to account so I have e-mailed the BBC and referred them to the threads on here.

From Simon Hayles

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

You go for it Paul!

I arrived half an hour late in Colden today thanks to the 'free' bus not turning up. What a lovely apology that was for previously poor service!
My client asked me to convey his warmest feelings to Calderdale and First for helping to make his business run so smoothly. I too would like to meet those responsible for our First-class transport system so I could express my gratitude in a way which I'm sure would bring a blush to their cheeks.

From Dave R

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

From Metro's website:

Wednesday 20 June,
First plans to run Hebden Bridge services A, B, C, & E, and may be able to run service D later in the day depending upon the availabliltiy of a final vehicle.

From Rev Tony Buglass

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

I just read Julie Dent's comment as saying she'd emailed Cllr Pointless. Surely not... ;)

From Jae Campbell

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

At last night's Ward Forum, Metro announced that there would be important changes to bus services in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden from Sunday, 24th June 2012. The timetable can be downloaded here.

From Ben Plumpton

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

I went to Calderdale's "Calder Ward Forum" last night (Tuesday night) at Central Street School, chaired by Councillor Janet Battye, where the first item on the agenda was the local bus service

There was someone there from Metro, whose name I've forgotten, who was very apologetic about the awful service both under Tyrer and in the last few days. He promised faithfully that there would be a full service today (Wednesday) on the A,B,C and E services, using hired buses.

Foolishly, I believed him and set off at 07:10 this morning to catch the B bus from Crimsworth to Hebden, due at 07:19. It didn't turn up. Another pointless long wait at a bus stop, such a waste of time, another evening when I stay late at work to make up.

My daughter tried to catch a later B bus. That didnt turn up either. She later saw one of the hired buses (long white things with no labels on) and the driver said they werent running the B service because the buses couldnt get up to Crimsworth. The 593 manages it, and there's a great big turning circle above Crimsworth for them to turn round in - I can't see what the problem is!

One of the problems that was discussed at last night's meeting was the lack of communications about what's going on. I accept they can't put a notice on every bus stop on every Hebden Bridger route, but you'd think they could manage to get up to date information on their website. No, the web page says "Today (Wednesdaay 20 June) Hebden Bridge services A, B, C, & E are running but service D is suspended."

From Paul Rigg

Thursday, 21 June 2012

Metro have now announced free travel has been extended until Friday 25th June 2012 after the mess this week.

The E was running perfectly last night with a larger bus and George driving it.

He said they currently haven't got buses small enough to operate A & B as they need to get round the turn at Mount Skip. The E isn't serving Fairfield or making its run via the Doctors surgery.

Still no news on ticket issues

From Dave R

Thursday, 21 June 2012

This page gives todays updates. Plus an offer of free buses for next week too!

From Myra James

Friday, 22 June 2012

I'm very pleased that the period of free buses has been extended. However, this doesn't provide any benefit to people with MetroCards. How are they to be compensated? Has anyone in this position asked Metro?

From Sarah Long

Sunday, 24 June 2012

I second that question by Myra, having spent over a thousand pounds on an annual metro card through work, it is galling to know that I have had to spend at least a hundred pounds on taxis instead of no show buses over the past six months. (not to mention coffee or drinks bought to kill time hoping the next one will turn up) Free buses make no difference at all to me though the rush of endorphins received when a bus actually shows is quite nice I suppose.

Some kind of refund would be nice, but I won't hold my breath for it to be offered.

From Andrew B

Monday, 25 June 2012

The temporary buses that are being used would appear to be too big for purpose and for the local roads, the A bus is having to go via Pecket Well first as it can't take the corner at Mount skip, and yesterday a bus I was travelling on failed to take the bend at Clough Hole (next to the Lane Ends) with enough clearance and scraped/bounced off the wall! Are we now in a position where we have reliability but not safety?!

From Julie Dent

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

"Hebden Bridge - a full service is operating" according to the metro website.

This is a lie. The A and B are only running to Old Town via Keighley Road so anyone living on Wadsworth Lane/Birchcliffe Road or Dodd Naze are still receiving no service whatsoever.

Metro should at least have the decency to put this on website to save people hanging around in town only to be told by bus drivers they cannot get home as I did yesterday. Bus drivers say it is due to parked cars but if that is the case a smaller bus is then required or at least some interim sort of taxi until they get new buses/old ones repaired.

Absolutely disgusting that after Tyrer opertaing a half service for months we now have no service at all. Also disgusting that offer of free transport to compensate us til 29th obviously only applies to those people that live in Old Town and Keighley Road.

From Julie C

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

I met a marooned young mum, her baby in the pram, holed up in the cricket cafe in Old Town - she was waiting for the weather to clear before pushing the pram to Dodnaze - and reported having to push down Birchcliffe in the storm on Friday to take the baby to a hospital appointment. Is anybody organising some transport for her? Can community transport come up with anything as First bus/Metro aren't bothered?

From Mo Norwood

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

I had initially felt grateful about the free services for a week - but then found that the ones I use most didn't run - eg the D service to Banksfield /Nest estates, and some of the Mankinholes buses. I have been walking up and down, which is good for my fitness - but impossible for most of the usual people using the T6 and T8 to Lumbutts etc. Also it has not been so good in the rain.

Will Metro ever give us a decent service again?

From Dave R

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Interesting update today on Metro's website:

Today all services are operating except :
A and B is not serving Dodd Naze
D is not operating
E is not serving Fairfield
Todmorden – T services (Calderdale)
For the Todmorden "T" services a limited service is in operation today.

Obviously the term 'all services' is loosely defined!

From Roger N

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Metro have always been on a hiding to nothing in this transitory period. By trying to provide a skeleton bus service, something that they have done with limited success, they have alienated so many people. It would have been so much better to say that all bus services are cancelled until the new bus company can provide adequate buses, and sufficient drivers with the appropriate route knowledge.

I do fear for the future of our bus services. First Bus didn't want it, and Tyrer took up the challenge, and failed. And now First have it back. The only reason for this must be some form of sweetener from Metro. First are a Public Limited Company and not a social service - they've only taken over the service because it has the potential to contribute to their 'bottom line', and make them money.

Sadly that money comes from an ever decreasing pot. Something will eventually have to give - and it will be sooner rather than later, given the Government's ever increasing commitment to reducing public spending. Anyone who relies on our rural bus services should seriously think about buying a car and learning to drive, or relocating to somewhere more central.

Unduly pessimistic? I hope so. But there is a tendency to take for granted, and complain about, something that could be so easily taken away from us.

From Dave R

Thursday, 28 June 2012

With respect, I hardly think the complaints are unjustified. We cannot take a service that doesn't operate for granted.

Todays update:
Hebden Bridge & Todmorden services - Thursday 28 June
Services A, B, C, E, D and services to Dodd Naze, Fairfield cannot operate as these routes are impassable to the current loan buses.

Services T1, T2, T3, T4, T6, T8 and T9 will start from mid-morning, due to limited availability.

So is that a no show day then?
Should people know this before they book Doctors appointments or make plans?

From Bruce C

Thursday, 28 June 2012

I will add to this sorry tale - I tried to use the 0627 from Heptonstall today to get to the station to get to Leeds and then Birmingham. The first vital link in the public transport chain and it failed to turn up. So frustrating!

I ended up driving to the station. The stupid thing is it's cheaper for me to drive as well as being more convenient! Why do we have to pay £2 + to do the short trip to Hebden. Value for money is poor as is reliability as is the attitude of the d

When will we have a service that can be relied upon? its a farce.

From Andy H

Thursday, 28 June 2012

The guilty parties in this debacle are METRO and TYRER Bus! Metro for awarding the work to Tyrer in the first place after years of faultless service by First, in a desperate bid to save a buck or two! knowing Tyrer had reneged on contracts before with Lancashire county council. And Tyrer for wrecking and not maintaining the buses provided by Metro for these services, and now having to have £4000 each spent on them to make them fit for service with First. So bear with it things will get better! It is not First's fault. They are trying to make the best of a bad job.

From Cllr Susan Press

Friday, 29 June 2012

I attended last week's Calder Ward Forum where Metro's Assistant Director said it was 'fingers crossed' all would be well this week. What kind of statement is that from a senior executive charged with providing a public service?

Sure enough, things are still in chaos and those in areas least likely to have universal car access or money to taxis are without buses. It's unacceptable and inexcusable. Which is why Hebden Royd Town Council is asking for a meeting next week with Metro to which members of the public will be invited. Keep you posted

From Dave R

Friday, 29 June 2012

In that case, here is a record of today's service.

Friday 29 June
Services A, B, C, E, are operating. Service D, the diversion of A & B to Dodd Naze and service E to Fairfield cannot operate as these routes are impassable to the current loan buses.
Services T1, T2, T3, T4, T6, T8 and T9 will start from mid-morning, due to limited availability.

* P.S. My mother in law advises that at least two of the A/B buses have missed already today.

From Julie D

Monday, 2 July 2012

Still forgotten about up here on Wadsworth Lane with the A and B service. I have just been to my mums for a few days because my baby and I just cannot get out in my local area as no bus. It is absolutely disgusting that after all this time myself and others on Dodd Naze still have no service and there is no end in sight.

Everytime I enquire I either get ignored (no response from Councillor Battye after last few emails and Metro just have't replied) or told they don't know either. I have just been in contact with Community Transport as someone said they may be able to help me and my baby but they only offer cars in this area and as the pram won't fold down, this is a no go. I really will have to move soon if something is not sorted soon.

From Mo Norwood

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Still walking up and down to Mankinholes, in the rain from the canal... may be a bit fitter, but fed up. No buses from Todmorden for past couple of days. I think I saw a D bus yesterday for the first time in weeks....

From Cllr Susan Press

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Just an update. Town councillors were hoping to meet Metro this week but the officers were not available and we're now trying to sort it for next. Re the Tod buses - I understand there is a meeting happening there.

I know this isnt much consolation to anyone but just want people to know we're doing our best to get some answers - and a promise as to when the bus services will be restored. The current situation is an outrage. If they are still waiting for vehicles to be repaired, why can't they use minibuses like the one which does the route to Huddersfield ...this is supposed to be a public service. Not an optional extra.

From Myra James

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

There is a meeting of the Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee on 17th July. I will report back what we hear there. Does any MetroCard holder have news on how they are to be compensated for the service failure? If not I'll take this up at the PCC.

From Dave R

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

This deploarable state of affairs should not be allowed to continue. Metro should be able to hire/borrow accessible buses from somewhere to provide this service. The unreliability of the service means that the majority of people have simply stopped waiting for a bus to turn up and used other methods, or in extreme cases moved to stay with relatives.

I was speaking to a lady who has to walk to and from Central Street Nursery from Dodnaze each morning. It is barely worth her going back home it takes so long with a buggy and toddler besides.

The local taxi firm have a 7 seater, surely this could be hired by Metro for the Dodnaze route, running on a frequent service basis during school times at least to ensure children could get to school and back warm and dry.

So another week goes by - meetings are cancelled or delayed, Councillors are seemingly not interested in finding a solution, and people like Julie are left isolated.

Meanwhile yet another potential source of emergency transport, the empty yellow school buses languish unused for 6 hours a day.

From Julie C

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

If the problem is getting the wider bus up to Dodnaze, could there be temporary parking restrictions up Birchcliffe and the narrow part of the road after Sandygate? The B bus could then travel up and down to the Estate and just miss out the last bit up round Mt Skip corner.

From Mo Norwood

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Thanks for the support and solidarity folks - I have benefited from lots of chats with several fellow (stranded) passengers and the odd shared taxi/ lift.

Lets keep trying to maintain these needed services and our sense of community.

From DH Scott

Thursday, 5 July 2012

I cannot believe there is still no service on Wadsworth Lane. It has been months since we had a decent service and weeks since we had any service here at all. It seems that now there is some sort of service for Old Town via Keighley Road, the councillors, Metro etc all think its over and done with.

Also, how come service D gets a taxi bus according to Metro website but residents of Birchcliffe Road, Mount Skip and Dodd Naze get nothing offered whatsoever? Totally unfair and unnecessary when like another person on forum said, they could hire something from taxi firm or use a school bus.

I saw 2 pensioners walking down the hill the other day telling me they were now paying for expensive taxis to get back home later on in the day.

From Mo Norwood

Sunday, 8 July 2012

I've been reassured that I will get reimbursed for taxi usage, from Metro, if the bus service has failed.

I am now using a taxi if the bus to Mankinholes does not turn up - especially in the rain.

Perhaps we should all be doing this - and submitting claims to pressurise Metro into providing an adequate service ? Keep receipts to provide proof.

From Julie D

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Had to walk in bad rain to another doctor's appointment for my baby as still no buses. Had to endure Friday's awful rain downpour once again to get my baby to the doctors from Mount Skip as he had a temperature and still no A or B service for Wadsworth Lane. I am sure it did nothing for his viral infection which was disagnosed. Has anyone a clue as to if anyone is pushing this up the agenda? If there was at least a service to Dodnaze it would help a bit. I could easily walk the bit from there.

From Dave R

Monday, 9 July 2012

There would seem to be no light at the end of the tunnel for Dodnaze and Birchliffe bus users.

How much longer can this go on?

What are our councillors doing about it?

I don't feel that arranging meetings that are then cancelled, is good enough Cllr Press.

Today's update From metro:

Monday 9 July - updated 8:45am
Hebden Bridge – Services A, B, C and E are operating to the full timetable. However services A and B cannot operate on Birchcliffe Road and Dodd Naze due to vehicle accessibility problems. A free taxibus service will be provided on route D.
Todmorden – a reduced service is in operation
Services T3, T4 and T9 will divert via Tennyson Avenue due to the closure of Shakespeare Avenue while emergency road repairs are carried out.
The diversion is expected to continue until Tuesday 10 July.

From Cllr Susan Press

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

I quite agree it is not good enough but HRTC is doing its best to pin down Metro. We have been trying for the past three weeks with help of the Town Clerk to arrange a meeting with repeated requests and dates but representatives are dragging their feet. It is hoped they will be there at next Wednesday's Full Council.

Once I get a confirmation of this I will let everyone know.

From Julie D - Flooded now as well

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

House now completely flooded. I had been in town on Monday morning. Had the bus been running, i wouldve taken my baby home around lunchtime in the then light rain. I was trying to wait til the rain had subsided to do the walk up Birchcliffe Road/Wadsworth Lane because there was still no bus.

It did not subside as we know and i had to navigate it with my baby in pram dodging rocks and debris in a road/river only to get home about 315 to find my house completely flooded.

Obviously I appreciate having the bus running would not have stopped my house flooding but if I could have got home earlier instead (which I would have done if the bus was running earlier that day), I could at least have removed some important things upstairs to save them. We won't be able to live there for months and have lost photos, documents as well as loads of baby stuff, white goods,computer etc.

So I hope all the people who could've used their powers to sort this out are all pleased with themselves.

From Jenny B

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

So sorry to hear that Julie.

You are right to be angry. I too find Cllr Press' response of: a hope to meet with Metro a week on Wednesday, a very weak excuse for not doing anything at all about this situation.

Metro are not responding to e-mails. Our councillors are silent on the issue, and even previous contributors to the debate seem to have adopted an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude to the non-existent Dodnaze route and stopped calling for action.

From Susan Burns

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Susan P writes "I quite agree it is not good enough but HRTC is doing its best to pin down Metro. We have been trying for the past three weeks with help of the Town Clerk to arrange a meeting with repeated requests and dates but representatives are dragging their feet. It is hoped they will be there at next Wednesday's Full Council.'

Sorry Susan these old slow responses waiting for town council in emergencies are useless - you need to use the media and social networks - twitter for preference - to shame these guys. 3 weeks to arrange a meeting?! And it's still not arranged? Why doesn't someone go to their office and demand it?

So sorry for Julie. We have been flooded also so can sympathise mightily.

From Dave R

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Our Councillors would seem to have little time for this matter. Some may say they are busy dealing with the flood issues. I would however, say that they are, as predicted in May, very low-profile now the elections have passed.

I have e-mailed Metro daily and had no response whatsoever. That a Town Council are seemingly being likewise ignored is appalling service.

Our Council should quite frankly get some balls, and hold Metro to task asap instead of accepting excuses.

Dodnaze is quite an isolated area with a high proportion of families and school age children. Why are they being ignored and left high and dry (okay not so dry just now . . . but that is another matter)?

From Sonya Hadari

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Just adding my voice to all the others, and my sympathy for Julie. I'm another Dodnazer trying to get about with an 18-month-old, not to mention three school age children who (sorry) don't always feel up to walking up the hill after a long day at school - especially in the weather we've had.

We can't afford to keep taking taxis (the only solution that has so far been suggested) not to mention the older people on the estate who would be using free bus passes.

And I'm fed up that the last communication I had from Metro was an assurance that there would be a free bus service for the 1 week (ha!) before First took over. Sometimes get the feeling that some of us matter less to councillors than others.

From Simon Hayles

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

On a brighter note, the shiny new E not only turned up on time today but was 20p cheaper! A fellow passenger who uses the bus frequently told me that the service was 'fine now that Metro has taken over'. So that's some progress at least (and at last!). Credit where it's due. Your next mission, Metro - Dodd Naze!

From Mo Norwood

Thursday, 12 July 2012

After 2 phone calls and emails am still trying to reclaim taxi fare, after driver told me to claim, so now think my idea of using this to pressurise them won't work either. Though this pales into insignificance compared to Julie's experience - sorry to read that.

From Ben Plumpton

Friday, 13 July 2012

I thought I'd share the response I had today from Dave Pearson (Assistant Director Transport Services at Metro. The good news seems to be that more of the repaired small buses will be back soon. Hopefully they will have the sense to put those buses onto the A/B service so that there will at last be a service for Dodd Naze etc. People might like to write to Dave Pearson direct about their experiences, and in particular if Metro havent responded to your emails (see 1b below).

Sent: 12 July 2012 08:10
Subject: RE: Hebden Bridger bus services - important issues

I understand and share your frustration about the problems we have been having with the local bus services in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. As I explained at the meeting the problems arise through the lack of availability of buses suitable for the local routes. In Hebden Bridge we have been covering most of the routes with hired buses. Unfortunately we cannot hire narrow bodied vehicles and therefore some parts of the route cannot be covered. Repairing the original buses has taken longer than I had anticipated , we still only have one of the six back in service, First advise that they will have another back in operation today and a further three by the end of next week. The remaining vehicle will take several weeks as it requires major component replacements. Perhaps I was over optimistic when addressing the Forum – the condition of the vehicles transferred from Tyrer was worse than expected and it has taken much longer to get them back in operation
With regard to your specific points
a) We update the web site on a daily basis as soon as we have updates from First. I accept initially we did claim a full service was running on A and B when attempts were being made to operate on Birchcliffe Road with the white hired buses. We corrected this when this situation changed. The hired vehicles themselves have suffered breakdowns resulting from some loss of service, they are not fitted with real time equipment we cannot however report on an hour by hour basis.

b) We have tried to keep up with emails, please let me know of any outstanding

c) I am happy to meet local councillors, I have some difficulty in attending evening meetings and unfortunately I have been unable to accept relatively short notice invitations to attend Hebden Royd and Wadsworth Parish Council meetings.

Whilst I can accept some criticism about communication we have attempted to keep our website up to date, we suspended fares during the greatest part of the disruption, we deployed members of staff in the town centres to direct and advise passengers and we have reimbursed the taxi fares of passengers stranded or significantly inconvenienced by the disruption. Please be assured we have tried our best!
The situation regarding Dodd Naze is regrettable. We will restore the route as soon as the repaired buses are back in service. I had hoped this would have been this week but there have been complications to the repair works. I am hopeful we can serve this area from next week. We have commissioned a taxibus to cover other impassable sections of route in Mytholmroyd and at Fairfield. In hindsight, had we known it would take this long to get the regular buses on A and B we might have taken different approach.

I will be attending the PCC meeting next week and will explain the position to members.

Dave Pearson
Assistant Director Transport Services
Metro
40-50 Wellington Street
Leeds
LS1 2DE
0113 251 7246

From Cllr Susan Press

Friday, 13 July 2012

Also wrote to Dave Pearson yesterday. He will be at special Town Council meeting Wednesday July 25 7.30pm. This is after repeated requests for meetings. Latest promise is Dodnaze service back next week. We'll see . . . . also on agenda for next HRTC Weds July 18

From Dave R

Friday, 13 July 2012

I have just spoken to an ex-colleague of mine who lives in Old Town, and he tells me that the main Keighley Rd is to close on Monday 16/7/12 between Nutclough and Pecket Well.

There are a series yellow planning notice stating this en-route.
If the buses cannot access this route and there are no alternatives via Dodnaze, the whole hilltop route will be stranded.

One would hope that the B route can be in operation to save the day.

From Andrew B

Friday, 13 July 2012

E-mail from Metro RE the road closure on Monday:

Dave Pearson
4:36 PM

to me

Thanks for your email - we are aware of the road closure on Monday
Fortunately from Monday we have one of our minbuses back which is suitable to operate via Dodd Naze

We have the following plan in place for Monday
Old Town will be served by an hourly minibus service on the times of the 593 operating via Dodd Naze

From Tuesday and the remainder of next week a limited service will be provided to Dodd Naze, we are drawing up an interim timetable and will publicise next week.

We will get the second bus back sometime next week and the full operation of A and B will therefore resume.

Dave

So they can find a bus that can go through Dodd Naze on Monday yet not other days?

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 16 July 2012

Details of today's A/B service from Metro website

On Monday 16 July, service A is operating an hourly service to Old Town via Dodd Naze because of the closure of Keighley Road.

From Hebden Bridge at 0938, 1058, 1138, 1258, 1338,1458
Returning from Old Town to Hebden Bridge via Dodd Naze at 0951, 1110, 1151, 1310, 1351, 1510
Service 593 will terminate at Hebden Bridge

It doesn't say anything about the 500 service.

Also, Dave Pearson from Metro told me in an email:
"From Tuesday one bus will do the A/B circuit including Dodd Naze leaving Hebden Bridge at the above times. I am hoping the other bus will be available to provide the complete service from midweek onwards."

Good news for Dodd Naze!

Cheers,

Ben

From Dave R

Monday, 16 July 2012

Good news for today then. Hopefully,if the new buses will be up and running this week, the full service can re-commence.

I know that in directing our frustration at Metro, we have in some ways been shooting the messenger, but . . . if this forum hadn't allowed us to vent our frustration so publicly, I can't help thinking that the service would have taken even longer to get up and running than it has. Cue thanks to our webmaster for allowing this thread to run and run, often updating it on a daily basis.

And to be fair, some credit to Dave Pearson who does seem to have taken it on board.

Fingers crossed for a good First service now.

From John Dunford

Monday, 16 July 2012

Arrived at Hepton Drive stop at 5.55 in plenty of time for 6.01 bus. Joined at 6.15 by a neighbour who enquirer whether 6.28 had comunication up from Hebden. At just after 6.30 had to phone for a Taxi in order to catch a train. If First don't want to run early morning buses they should say so and we will fill up the car park at the station earlier than it normally is!!

From Myra James

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Dave Pearson of Metro, with whom some contributors to this thread have been in communication, was present at today's meeting of the Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee. He told us that buses purchased by Metro some years ago were not properly maintained by Tyrer when they had the contract and they have consequently required major repairs. It was not possible to obtain alternative buses suitable for some of the routes hence the recent disruption to services. He said that lessons have been learned from this experience and that a working group has been set up to determine how the network can be made more resilient. He also said that money will be witheld from Tyrer to cover repair costs and reimbursements of taxi fares. Things should begin to improve this week. I'm sure we will soon hear through this forum if they do not!

From Cllr Susan Press

Monday, 23 July 2012

Dear All,
Joint Parish Council meeting with Dave Pearson is 7.30pm @ old Town Hall. It's open to the public May see you there . . . .

From Dave R

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

As I cannot be at the meeting (which is Old Town Hall by the way?), I would like to ask that Metro be asked about their contingency plans for service disruptions to the 593.

Yet again, yesterday the hilltops of Dodnaze and Old Town were stranded as the Keighley road closes for resurfacing. An 'A' bus was supposed to run hourly via Dodnaze but according to my elderly mother who lives on the route, this was intermittent and missed several journeys during the day.

Again, the bus in use was one of the white longer ones which cannot access Dodnaze. So, yet again service was sketchy and poor.
There are now supposed to be 2 buses as pre-disruption, but the B service has never materialised, despite promises that it would be a week last Wednesday, when things got back to normal.

Passengers are left unsure of timetables, often cannot risk waiting for a bus that doesn't turn up, so the buses that do turn up run almost empty.

The situation is not resolved. Metro are once again 'fobbing off' their customers and this needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

I also think that services should be looked at in relation to the 593 overlapping with the other service. Old Town is served by buses at 20 minutes to, 5 minutes to and on the hour, this is surely not needed and spacing the service to the hour and half hour would surely make more sense and increase use-age?

From Andrew B

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

As Dave R has pointed out, there was no bus service yesterday until after 3pm.

I went to catch the 1350 Old Town - Hebden Bridge bus and it didn't arrive, a lady living by the stop came out to inform the handful of us waiting that Keighley Road was closed, I called Metro who confirmed that there was no service as the minibus used previously had again broken down.

As we are (although shouldn't be) used to the lack of service by now, this wouldn't normally bother me but as I had a hospital appointment to be at I was left to walk into Hebden and although the weather has picked up it's important to add that there are no pavements on the route until you reach Birchcliffe, and not everyone can safely negotiate the fields or paths through Nutclough Woods.

There was no update on Metro's website however I really struggle to understand why we are in a position where we should have to check a website daily to decide what we can do/where we can go on any given day.

I believe that the meeting is at Hebden Bridge Town Hall, in the old part of the building.

From Sonya Hadari

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Well, please do let us know what Metro has to say at the Council Meeting - last week's service to Dodd Naze (basically, half the advertised schedule which everyone was just about getting able to predict by the end of the week) seemed great compared to this week - nothing at all.

From Dave R

Thursday, 26 July 2012

Did anyone manage to get to the meeting re the bus situation last night?

Would be good to hear if people could get out now the decent weather is here.

From Andrew B

Thursday, 26 July 2012

I was also wondering if anyone had attended the meeting, I couldn't make it.

I did call Metro on Monday and was advised Neale Wallace was on annual leave and would call me on Wednesday, no phone call so I e-mailed him earlier on but no reply as yet.

I have quite simply asked for an honest answer as to when, if ever, we can expect a normal service to resume, and also why some routes are provided with taxi-buses whilst others are left completely cut off. This to me seems like Metro are giving different areas greater priority which is simply unfair and unjustifiable.

Encourage the use of public transport.... by not providing any, smart move.

From Paul W

Friday, 27 July 2012

I was at the meeting on Wednesday and there was one positive outcome for those of us on the Wadsworth Lane side of the abandoned A/B service. The guy from Metro said the narrow mini buses were very hard to source and the larger replacement white buses can't negotiate the bend at Mount Skip or the parked cars on Birchcliffe Road. Someone suggested using the little yellow school buses as they are small enough and they are not in use now schools have broken up. There was a wonderful moment when the chap form Metro and the chap from First looked at each other with "Doh! Why didn't we think of that?" written all over their faces...

This morning, the first time for yonks, a little yellow bus trundled down Wadsworth Lane. Could this service be getting back to normal pre-Tyrer days? Too early to say, but thanks to the lady who suggested it!

From Myra James

Friday, 27 July 2012

I went to the meeting on Wednesday. Dave Pearson of Metro (also Mark Fenwick from First) was there and freely admitted that the situation was the worst he has encountered in 10 years working for Metro and has been a deeply embarrassing episode for them. He agreed that in hindsight a taxi-bus should have been provided for Dodnaze and Fairfield.

As I understood it, work required on some of the buses is even more extensive than at first thought. And I think I he said that two of the buses brought back into service have since broken down again (can someone else who was present confirm?) and that the third bus is still undergoing major work that might take another two or three weeks.

It was suggested that the school buses could be brought into service now we are into the holidays. At the end of the meeting, Mr Pearson was tasked with ensuring that a service is provided for Dodnaze and Fairfield immediately. I will be interested to hear from anyone who knows whether this has happened.

From July C

Friday, 27 July 2012

Three cheers for Mavis Ring from Wadsworth Parish Council who came up with the answer to Dodnaze Estate's longtime busless state at the Bus Gathering - she asked very quietly due to a poorly throat something on the lines of: "Can't you use the Yellow School buses now school has broken up for the summer? They come up Birchcliffe and go round the corner at Mount Skip every day." The guy from Metro turns to the man from First Bus as applause breaks out, "Are those your buses?" Nods from Mr First Bus.

Hey presto - next morning Mavis rang to tell me that she'd just seen a yellow bus passing with A in the window. Whoopee!

Apart from that, the meeting heard the true state that Tyrer left the buses in when they handed over to First - they were too dangerous to drive, two of the ones that cover our services are more or less sorted but there is loads of work to do on the third one.

There are now plans for a user/ parish council/ community focus group to feed into Metro on bus issues - watch this space.

From Myra James

Saturday, 28 July 2012

Great news that the yellow school bus is already in operation. That would seem like people power in action!

From Phill Pilkington

Saturday, 28 July 2012

Well done to the lady who pointed that out to Metro, those buses are Metro's buses not First's so you would think they wouldn't need telling!

I worked for Tyrer when they started. I have to say they got them buses in a dreadful state and First are not much better for maintain them, they belong to Metro so they don't care. When iI worked for First they made me drive one with bad brakes and I had a accident. Tyrer were really bad though and glad to see them go, I hated working for them. You should all complain to Metro with problems, it does make a difference, Metro thought Tyrer were good because they didnt get many complaints, only due to people putting up with it. They get fines as well when they get complaints from Metro so you get them where it hurts most.

Drivers dont like working for companies that can't run a good service because we get it in the neck but we have no power, only customers can make a difefrence to the service. Forget bad publicity though, they couldn't care less. Sorry about bad typing, on my phone and hard to type. Great page btw, i would have contributed before had I known.

From Dave R

Monday, 30 July 2012

Thanks for all the updates.

Good to see the power of this forum being put to good use, and benefiting residents and visitors to Hebden Bridge.

Thanks also to all those who worked to resolve this issue albeit temporarily.

I do hope that the standard buses can be repaired and be back in service within the next month, so that the service doesn't revert to it's previous poor levels once the yellow buses are back in use for the schools.

From R Mark

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Just sick, sick, sick and tired of the crap service we're getting - I've just sent a complaint to First and I know I haven't worded it professionally but I just can't be arsed any more, below is what I wrote:

When will this route be reliable once again? I, and many other passengers have waited and waited for things to be sorted out. Tyrer were the first company to not give a damn about it and now you are doing that same thing. There was no service at 20:30 tonight, and it's far from the first time this has happened since this company took over the highly subsidised route. Nor is there any indication as to when a full service will be in operation - Dodd Naze is still inaccessible to the oversize buses you have provided. We were told that new buses would be bought, then we were told the old buses would be repaired - now, neither has happened because you and all other travel companies could not give a toss about their passenger base as you will recieve your nice fat government subsidy regardless.

I have a job in Leeds, it's not particularly well paid but they expect me to arrive on time and the "bus/train" excuse is wearing thin and remarkably it has been buses that have been the cause of the majority of my late starts this year. Also, coming home, since Christmas between Tryer and yourselves I have spent over £250 on taxi fairs as no bus showed up on the route for which I pay almost £1500 a year for including trains.

The most galling thing I think is that there is often a driver sat at the train station who is not on my journey - that's fine - but they almost never have the decency to tell you your own bus isn't coming. This is basic customer care at its most obvious that isn't being paid any attention to, all it would take is for drivers to have a pen, some paper and blu-tac to put a sign on the bus stop.

From speaking to fellow passengers I think I can speak for them when I say we are deeply unimpressed, appalled and disgusted with the level of service that First are providing. As mentioned, I am struggling at work thanks to your service, another passenger missed an important hospital appointment which he now has to wait another six months for and a young lady on the route couldn't pick her own child up from a local youth group for three hours as the buses didn't turn up a few weeks ago - three in a row (under First Bus).

Your first priority should be to passengers, then staff, then shareholders in that order - you do everything wrong, and I feel for the poor member of staff having to read this who knows that he/she can't do anything about it.

From Mo Norwood

Sunday, 5 August 2012

I have just received a promise of a taxi refund and apology from wymetro - but more importantly an additional 2 days free travel - which does compensate a bit for all the grief - so thanks again for all the support from fellow complainers!

From Julie C

Thursday, 30 August 2012

School is about to go back, the yellow buses are still in action on all the hilltop routes, what is going to happen next week when the school routes need them?

Yesterday I was waiting for the A bus at 20 to 5, it arrived a bit late and was a white bus, so couldn't get round to Dodnaze, so 3 people who were waiting had to be left behind. We saw the little red bus disappearing down the main road towards Tod driven by someone in a high viz jacket.
Are the buses fixed? Have First and Metro got a plan? Are we going to be stuck with no buses again?

From Paul Rigg

Monday, 3 September 2012

Something cropped up on the 906 on Saturday Morning. Calderdale Community Transport seem to have put the fares up (£3 from Widdop Road to Hardcastle Crags!) and they don't offer any form of day ticket.

Anyway I have a few journeys to make on it on Saturday so I asked them for a Metro Bus only dayrover (£5.20) and they said they couldn't issued one. Now this is unacceptable because all buses operating in West Yorks have to issue and accept them (CCT do accept them). We got round it eventually because he took me down to Hebden Bridge without a ticket and I jumped on another opeators bus and bought one, before getting off again!

This is all due to Metro's incompetence in failing to include the 906 in the Hebden Bridge tender, so they then had to find a seperate operator.

I have reported the matter to Metro

From Myra James

Monday, 3 September 2012

I was wondering exactly the same thing Julie. In fact two weeks ago I emailed Dave Pearson of Metro asking him if he expected the regular buses to be back in service in time for the start of the school term. Dave was on holiday at that time but I have now re-sent the email asking when a permanent solution to these problems can be expected. I'm not sure how much longer the services can limp along on borrowed buses. I really thought after the meeting at Hebden Bridge Town Hall, attended by Dave Pearson, that the situation was being taken seriously and that a proper solution was on its way. It looks as though I might have been over-optimistic.

From Liz D

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Yet another development in the bus saga- from Metro website today:

"Changes to service B in Hebden Bridge from today due to the smaller buses which were assisting in the operation of the service no longer available.
Service A will run as normal
Service B will run the route of service A (Hebden Bridge - Pecket Well – Crimsworth – Old Town- Dodd Naze – Hebden Bridge) at the following times 06.58 08.58 09.58 10.58 11.58 12.58 13.58 14.58 15.58 16.58 18.05 23.00

This is to accomodate the slightly larger buses on the A and B route

The evening B service will run the usual B route at 19.35 21.35.

Service C and D will run as normal
Service E will run as normal but will not run extend to Fairfield
Todmorden services are operating in full "

Speaking to a driver today he explained that the slightly bigger white buses can now get down round Mount Skip, but cannot safely get up that way, which is why both A and B are going up to Old Town via Keighley Rd.

Does anyone know if the working group which was mentioned at the public meeting has been set up yet???

From Myra James

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

From Dave Pearson:

Please feel free to pass this information on to anybody I have missed on the circulation or any other person who might need it (including Hebweb)

Today is the start of the new school term which necessitates a change in the operation of services in Hebden Bridge as the school buses which were assisting the operation of the service are no longer available.

The arrangements will therefore be as follows for the remainder of the week

Service A will run as per scheduled timetable

But service B will run to the route of service A (ie Hebden Bridge - Pecket Well – Crimsworth – Old Town- Dodd Naze – Hebden Bridge) via @ 06.58 08.58 09.58 10.58 11.58 12.58 13.58 14.58 15.58 16.58 18.05 23.00

The reinstated evening flexibus will be in operation on Friday and Saturday from this coming Friday

Service C will run as normal

Service D will run as normal

Todmorden services are operating in full

Three of the original buses are back in service alongside the white hired vehicles. The hired vehicles are operating service A/B and E but they are larger and cannot operate in the B direction or make the turn at Fairfeld.
The remaining buses are expected to resume service within the next two weeks enabling a return to full service. I will advise you further.

My colleagues are looking closely at the routes in Hebden Bridge at present wand we hope to be able to present some proposals to the local community in the autumn.

Dave Pearson
Assistant Director Transport Services

From Paul Rigg

Friday, 7 September 2012

Myra Could you just confirm what you mean by re-instated fiexibus on David Pearson's letter.

Do you mean it is going to Blackshawhead again on Friday and Saturday?

From Myra James

Saturday, 8 September 2012

Paul, the flexi-bus is to operate as a demand response service, the route depending on requirments of passengers that board. It will pick up at the railway station and Hope Street and thereafter drop off only. Details are available on the Metro website.

From Tracey H - 900 Bus to Huddersfield

Monday, 10 September 2012

My son is at Greenhead College and gets the 7.30 bus over in the morning. There are now so many young people travelling over that many of them are having to stand all the way to Huddersfield. I think there are safety concerns about this and have been lobbying metro to get a bigger bus put on this route. If anyone else uses this route and feels able to add their voice this is where you can complain to Metro.

I haven't been able to find any contact information for the service provider, who I think is K-line.

From Sarah Hanson - Flexibus

Monday, 10 September 2012

Has anyone used this since the two Flexi bus services were merged and became on demand (as opposed to helpful and serving all bus stops and local amenities)?

I caught it from the rail station for the first time 30 August and despite being an annual Metrocard zone 1-5 holder I was told it was a £2 flat fare - no passes allowed. Having never had to pay additionally in 2 years of using the service I challenged this and was eventually allowed to board without further payment.

I have just reported the incident to Metro - and also expressed my dissatisfaction with the new flexibus service generally which means nights at Stubbing Wharf and the last bus up to Heptonstall are no more.

I wondered what experiences anyone else has had and whether the merge/drop off is also inconvenient for others? I'm dreading needing to catch it again and will need to regularly over the coming months. (The reliability of the E in general seems poor despite change from Tyrer to First. I needed to get 10:10 up to Heptonstall this morning and it didn't come).

From Darren G

Wednesday, 12 September 2012

I'm afraid you are all being led up the garden path with this one. I'm sure it will all be down to a few routes that don't make enough money. End of.

There was and still is no reason for the white busses to be unable to fulfill the time table. I have on many occassions driven larger vehicles around this route. It is more difficult with some vehicles, but still possible. Dodd Naze has its fair share of homes without their own transport and deserve a far better service than has been offered over the last months or so.

I'm afraid it's the down side to a privatized transport system again. The operators will take anything on to gain a contract then start picking and chosing the profit making routes, then the weak governments let them get away with it.

From Myra James

Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Darren, there is light at the end of the tunnel for buses in West Yorkshire, if Metro is successful in achieving the Quality Contract scheme it is aiming for. In effect, this will end the de-regulation of bus services we have suffered since 1985, giving us a system similar to what is operated in London and most European countries.

There are plenty of hoops to be negotiated before it is achieved, starting with a 12 week statutory consultation period, and Metro officers admit it's a challenging process, but keep all fingers and toes crossed (and an eye on news of how the process is progressing) and things might be better in the future.

From Darren Gibson

Friday, 14 September 2012

Thanks for the information Myra, but I'm not filled with excitement.

We will hope for the best

From Myra James

Friday, 14 September 2012

Following my optimistic posting about future prospects for bus services in West Yorkshire, I'm afraid it's bad news in the immediate term for the Hebden Bridge minibus services. I have received the following from Dave Pearson, Assistant Director of Transport Services at Metro:

The following arrangements will continue for the foreseeable future

Service A will run as per scheduled timetable

But service B will run to the route of service A (ie Hebden Bridge - Pecket Well – Crimsworth – Old Town- Dodd Naze – Hebden Bridge) via @ 06.58 08.58 09.58 10.58 11.58 12.58 13.58 14.58 15.58 16.58 18.05 23.00

Service C will run as normal

Service D will run as normal – Metro and First are aware of some difficulties in getting buses around Nest Estate which has disrupted service

Todmorden services are operating in full

In my previous email at the start of last week, I had been hopeful that the remaining buses are expected to be operational within the next two weeks enabling a return to full service. Unfortunately matters beyond First's control are delaying this and we will contact you again when the full service is resumed. Please be assured that all steps are being taken to resume a full service.

The availability of buses able to operate on these routes therefore remains a problem and the services remain vulnerable to disruption if any of the buses break down.

I am attending the Calder Forum on 2nd October and I will be happy to answer questions at that meeting.

From Darren G

Saturday, 15 September 2012

Well what a shabby service, matters beyond First's control. I'm afraid this will carry on for a long time. Companies don't want to operate services unless they pay. The easiest way to avoid having to do that is offer an unreliable service. Keep people waiting at bus stops in the wet and cold. They soon find another form of transport. We should be putting on a better public transport system. The only way to do that is Nationalise all public transport. A better cheaper system for every one.

The people of Dodd naze have been let down by transport and council again