Ryburne

Small ads

Plastic Bags

From Stephen Matthews

Saturday, 29 June 2013

What happened to the 'plastic bag free Hebden Bridge'? I work, sometimes, in a charity shop where the question 'Do you need a bag?' is often answered with yes. The 'in-house' bags offered by the charity are quite expensive. Should I demonise those customers, perhaps from other areas, for not having foresight?

From Jason Elliott

Monday, 1 July 2013

Perhaps your charity would consider re-using other people's plastic bags, rather than paying to manufacture their own?

I am certain that, if asked, the residents of Hebden Bridge would be happy to bring you some.

The Plastic Bag Free Hebden Bridge could be said on one hand to have failed as it wasn't universally adopted by all shops, but on the other, could be considered successful as many retail outlets reconsidered how they bagged their products and switched their approach to something more sustainable. It also brought the issue onto the local agenda and, as a result, many more residents now carry their own bags.

However, due to the nature of the local retail economy (including the charity shops), many shoppers come from out of town and aren't aware or bothered about the issue.

So, anyway, would you like some "pre-owned" carrier bags? I'm sure your shop would never need to buy any again!

From Jenny P

Monday, 28 October 2013

A late reply, but have you considered asking your customers "Have you got your own bag?" rather than if they need one? That's what I do (I also volunteer in a HB charity shop) and it prompts a lot of people to search out a bag they may be carrying or find space in a bag they're already using.