Ryburne

Small ads

Newly Tarmaced Track on Moor above Blake Dean

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

I have heard from a number of sources - but not yet seen for myself ( partly because I can hardly bear to) - that part of the track at some point between Walshaw (perhaps beyond New Laithe Farm) - and the packhorse bridge at Alcomden Water between Blake Dean and the Walshaw reservoirs) has been tarmaced over. The packhorse bridge itself has allegedly been tarmaced. I have also heard there have been problems with speeding 4x4s hitting sheep, and that cattle grids have not been installed.

If true this is complete desecration. Suburbanising, in other words, one of the most beautiful and popular parts of the local landscape.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Surely it can't be allowed to happen! What, if anything, can be done?

From Julie C

Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Thank you Elizabeth for bringing the Tarmac on this track to our attention, it has been talked about tonight at Wadsworth Parish Council and we will be contacting Calderdale Council.

From Elizabeth Ogborn

Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Thank you Julie! I am glad someone is looking into this, and cannot understand why there has not been more of a furore.

I saw it with my own eyes at the weekend. Walkers risk life and limb negotiating speeding cyclists and the little pack horse bridge now forms part of a hideous mini-roundabout type affair.

Perhaps you could report back from the meeting on here?

From Pedro de Wit

Thursday, 26 September 2013

I cycle over that road at least once a week and I preferred it when it was a bit rougher but we shouldn't exaggerate the situation. Before the tarmac was put down the road surface was mainly made up of broken tarmac, concrete strips and rough gravel. The work around the bridge was carried out a long time ago. The new tarmac looks a bit 'black' at the moment but it will blend in over time. Eventually it will start to break up and it will look like before....

From Juie C

Friday, 27 September 2013

Can't tell you much more, just that the enforcement people at Calderdale are now dealing with it. I did check out the Natural England site and this bridleway is between two areas of SSSI so outside their say so.