Ryburne

Small ads

Dangerous junction between Lee Wood Road and Heptonstall Road

From Fiona W

Thursday, 12 September 2013

I use this road everyday between Hebden Bridge and Colden and, while I'm grateful that Lee Wood Road has re-opened, it just serves to underline how dangerous this junction is. I've only been in the area for 6 years, and regularly using this road for 9 months, so don't know the history of what's been done here in terms of improving visibility and safety. I e-mailed the council today to ask if it's possible to have a mirror installed at the junction and they responded very promptly and fully to explain why in their opinion, mirrors aren't safe.

I've e-mailed back to ask if there are any other solutions and also to query their logic. Their response to date suggests that the likelihood of a mirror increasing poor driving is greater than the risk of a collision. I would doubt this - despite the stop line, there's no way you can see cars coming up Lee Wood Road until you've already pulled out in front of them, having already stopped at the line. If you don't have an offside passenger, you simply can't see cars coming up the hill until it's too late.

Any comments or suggestions welcome, please!

From Reg Slater

Similarly Fiona Ive been traversing this junction for several years coming down from Heptonstall into Hebden Bridge, and you are right - it is a blind junction to the left. You can't see any traffic coming up Lee Wood road beyond the hump.

For what it's worth, what I do is to keep well to the right coming out of Heptonstall Road - making sure, of course, that nothing is coming in the opposite direction. You can see for 100 yards or so down the hill to make sure of this.

Then cut in to the left lane after you are well clear of the junction and can see what, if anything, has come over the hump in the road.

Probably wouldn't pass a driving test doing this, but safer than doing a kamikaze by pulling straight out from the junction into the left lane.

From Andy M

You have to swing a bit wide as you reach the junction, lean right forward in your seat and pull out a bit to see left - but you don't have to go into the line of the traffic coming down Lee Wood road. You very occasionally get stranded sometimes as something comes both ways!

Not ideal I know but I'm struggling to remember an incident there (I've been using it for about 12 years)

Some info at another council's website.

From Fiona W

Friday, 13 September 2013

Thanks all, and thanks for the link - that's pretty much what Calderdale said too. I'll try your suggestions the next time I use it, thanks - makes perfect sense. I tend to use Lee Wood Road in preference (the good people of Heptonstall are sick of us commuters using their lovely village as a cut through, quite rightly) so I'm more concerned about people crashing into me, rather than vice versa. Will take it especially easy!

From John Dunford

Friday, 13 September 2013

I d not know where the previous correspondents are travelling from but may I take this opportunity to remind them that the road through Heptonstall is an access only road-clearly signed as such at both ends of the village. Traffic travelling to and from the area beyond Draper Corner should be using Lee Wood Road and not travelling through the village.

From Reg Slater

Sunday, 15 September 2013

Can I suggest to John Dunford that no one in their right mind would want to drive through Heptonstall when Lee Wood Road is open. A more bone shaking (and car breaking) ride it's difficult to imagine. I'm glad I don't have to normally (and am not a commuter) but have been forced into it for the last few months..

Seems Fiona's post has been misunderstood - it's the approach towards Hebden Bridge - up Lee Wood Road to the junction she is concerned about, rather than the exit from Heptonstall Road - which I thought she was addressing.

She is right though - the traffic approaching this blind 'hump' is equally at risk from vehicles entering from the right.

I'm surprised the elders of Heptonstall have no comment to make about this junction. The good burghers of the village, after all, must risk their lives just about every day, when navigating out of Heptonstall Road.

Perhaps the appointed village custodians should be more concerned about this risk, rather than village through traffic, which is likely non-existent when Lee Wood Road is open.

From Andy M

Sunday, 15 September 2013

But Reg - you can't 'pull-out' on Lee Wood Road or approach HB 'up' it!

I not sure I'm an elder - although I may be a burgher - but I have made a comment and, perhaps the lack of comments, indicates its not that much of an issue?

From John Dunford

Monday, 16 September 2013

I d not know where the previous correspondents are travelling from but may I take this opportunity to remind them that the road through Heptonstall is an access only road-clearly signed as such at both ends of the village. Traffic travelling to and from the area beyond Draper Corner should be using Lee Wood Road and not travelling through the village.

From Paul D

Tuesday, 17 September 2013

The obvious solution is to switch the stop sign. It's a blind junction but 'blinder' from lee wood and importantly much less volume of traffic comes to the junction from there. Make it a straight up and down to Heptonstall solve the problem with two signs and some paint.

Of course the only way to do it as it is now is use the right (wrong side) of the road and don't even try to stop. Focus on uphill traffic, if clear just cut right and hit it at 20 plus and stay right. Never a problem.

From Andy M

Of course the only way to do it as it is now is use the right (wrong side) of the road and don't even try to stop. Focus on uphill traffic, if clear just cut right and hit it at 20 plus and stay right. Never a problem.

During the recent road closure the police ,on a couple of occasions, were observing and then contacting people doing this as an informal warning - it's dangerous driving and most of us don't do it.

yes you'll get away with it most of the time - until something comes both ways at speed.

From Norman Yeowart

I've recently retired into this area and use this road into Hebden Bridge on an occasional basis. Having travelled extensively throughout the UK as a rep in a previous life, I've had much experience of dangerous roads and junctions. In fact I collect them!. This one is definitely up there with the best (or worst!).

For those unfamiliar with it - this junction is carnage waiting to happen. The only indication of the danger is a SLOW sign on the road leading up to the junction. These are ten-a- penny on our roads today and go widely ignored or unnoticed. No indication that it's a blind hill and there are vehicles coming in blind from the right.

No doubt the locals are used to it, but imagine motor-bikers, unfamiliar with the road and coming over this hill at speed, or young hot-heads in their hatch-backs

I wouldn't want to be there to pick up the pieces.

From Chris F

Wednesday, 25 September 2013

As a cyclist I have to say cycling up or down that road is not a pleasant experience at all. It's a popular road and I agree with Norman it is an accident waiting to happen.

From Fiona W

Monday, 30 September 2013

Thanks for all your comments - just to clarify, I only ever come through Heptonstall when I'm actually using the village or visiting friends, but I obviously have to navigate this junction at least twice a day to get from Hebden Bridge to Colden. Since I've written this and seen everyone's comments, I think it is dangerous from all approaches - even going down over the hump into the rising traffic - but it seems Calderdale don't have any obvious solutions...

From Andy M

Sunday, 6 October 2013

Have you considered that by it being an admittedly awkward junction this tends to mitigate its potential risk? i.e.people treat it with respect (apart from driving out down the wrong lane!) There'll always be a risk from bad driving and perhaps something could be 'done' to ensure caution (if that's possible) when approaching it from Slack /Colden. Visibility shouldn't be problem when pulling out of Heptonstall road or when approaching it up the hill

From Graham Barker

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

I walk past this junction quite often now and agree with Norman that the main problem is a lack of warning to drivers approaching from Lee Wood. Anyone unfamiliar with the area hasn't a clue there's a junction ahead apart from the bland 'Slow' painted on the road. Adding more specific signage ought not to be difficult or expensive, and could have been included in the recent works. There's no doubt that as things stand, the junction is much more dangerous than it need be.

From David Mack

Friday, 11 October 2013

The evidence is that this is not an unsafe junction. Police road accident data for 2005-2012 available at CrashMap shows that in this time there has been only one slight accident at this junction (which involved 2 vehicles and 2 casualties).

That compares favourably with the nearby Lime Avenue junction which has had one slight and one serious accident (total of 4 vehicles and 7 casualties), or further down the hill where there have been two accidents, one slight, one fatal (4 vehicles, 2 casualties), and the junction at the Fox and Goose with 2 slight and 2 serious accidents (4 vehicles, 4 casualties).

From Bruce C

Thursday, 21 November 2013

Yes the Hebden to Colden junction is dangerous but if it is treated as such by road users that it's danger will be lessened. There is a requirement to stop when coming down the hill from Heptonstall, there is a 30 mph limit on the road that is being joined and there is a blind summit.

All of these factors should mean that traffic treats this junction with extreme caution. If we all do that then the junction is less of a hazard. Lets face it, there is not much scope to re design the junction so treat with care and all will be well.